Questions to ask on a potential lease??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Questions to ask on a potential lease??

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 am

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. It is nice to have a close place to hunt! Sounds like a nice piece.

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Whatever you do, put it in writing. I've got a great contract drawn up I could send you. PM if you want it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:15 am

Take written notes with you when you do the person to person. Good luck
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:56 am

Find out if you have to or if he wants you to report your kills to him...as a hunter, he may be interested.

The problem is if you pull good bucks out of there.

I have one lease and I'm not required to tell him what I shoot out of it, but I let him know every time I shoot a doe. The owner hunts on other family ground and really isn't aware of the buck quality on the leased ground. I like to be honest as the next guy, but you risk to lose the lease or pay more $ if you advertise that you shoot some good bucks in there. I'm currently underpaying the lease value and would like to keep it that way since he is very happy with the amount of $ he gets from me. If I showed him some of the results, I'd be out on my rear or be presented with a price I don't want to pay.

Also, the "little bit of gun hunting" comment kind of tossed me a bit. You don't have regular gun rights to this parcel? That could be a big deal...as a little bit of gun hunting means different things to different people.

A contract is good to have, but also in the face to face meetings, you want to have a good feeling of the deal being worthwhile for both parties.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 am

my wife doesn't like the idea!! Go figure!! So the landowner said he would be willing to work out a payment plan!! I'll let ya know what she says to that tonite!! I don't want to lose this!! Only 20 minutes away!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am

Good luck on the lease, I would ask if he lets anyone shed or mushroom hunt in there as well.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:55 pm

So will the guy be able to hunt it after you lease it?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 am

Good luck with this Dave. Try breaking it down into monthly payments, and then point out what she spends on hiarcuts and that kind of thing. It can help them understand sometimes. Also, my wife insits on eating out at work alot, cause she is on the road. I brown bag it most of the time. I use that along with what it cost to get her hair cut, the fact that she buys a new purse every three months or so. When she see all the expenses she has, as opposed to mine, she can't say too much when I spend the same amout on my hunting lease. Not sure if what your paying will be in the ball park of her expenses but it's worth a try.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”