BUSTED... Swamp Beast Style!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What would you do?

Sit tight and quiet- hoping for the best.
83%
Let the buck settle a bit before issuing a soft grunt or two.
10%
Wait a bit before issuing a combination of calls / call types.
No votes
Call or imitate the sound of a completely different animal.
2%
None of the above.
5%

Total votes: 41
Uncle Lou

Re: BUSTED... Swamp Beast Style!

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:56 am

I voted other. I would wait a half hour or so and when a plane flew over or I got any other noise I would get down close the distance and shoot him and eat him. You didnt say it was archery season so I am heading his way with my repeating fire arm

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:23 pm

A few soft turkey putts and purrs is my go-to in this case. Throw your voice towards the ground with a cupped hand and be soft. Works like a charm, I've seen deer go from suspicious to calm pretty quick. As long as the cover/distance is great enough that the deer cant actually look and see no turkey.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:i voted to sit tight and wait.........My fear would be be passing "gas" from all the excitement, that would sound like a grunt call :oops: :oops: :lol:

Bigdaddy- I thought that was your Buffalo call! :lol:

Great to hear from you, btw 8-)

Last edited by Singing Bridge on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I voted other. I would wait a half hour or so and when a plane flew over or I got any other noise I would get down close the distance and shoot him and eat him. You didnt say it was archery season so I am heading his way with my repeating fire arm

Finally! Someone who isn't just going to sit there and hope for the best... not that there's anything wrong with that.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, eh Lou? :)

Goober wrote:A few soft turkey putts and purrs is my go-to in this case. Throw your voice towards the ground with a cupped hand and be soft. Works like a charm, I've seen deer go from suspicious to calm pretty quick. As long as the cover/distance is great enough that the deer cant actually look and see no turkey.

I've got a buddy in farm country that swears by this too, Goober. He's got a large turkey population around which undoubtedly helps.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey Sb.......After further thought. If it was you and me in the tree,we would fire up a "Fuente" and hope the fine smell of that cigar would have a calming effect on that big ole Buck. 8-)

Good to hear from you too :) Hope all is well
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:15 pm

The last thing I personally would do is make calls after putting the bucks full attention in my direction.
My thoughts exactly.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:i voted to sit tight and wait.........My fear would be be passing "gas" from all the excitement, that would sound like a grunt call :oops: :oops: :lol:

LMAO!!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
x2!!! LMAO!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Great question. I love the senario polls and not looking to see what others would do first. I like to gauge myself with the others in a honest fashion. I selected hang tight and quiet and hope for the best. One time a few years back I had a tree come down on a calm day about 40yds from me. Dumb but it rattled me for a moment because I was in a tree too. Stupid, but it crossed my mind. Anyways, about 15 mins later I had 2 yearlings come snooping through with their heads up looking everywhere. I figure they were investigating what the heck that freight train was. Granted they are yearlings but trees fall and branches snap daily. They should be alert to it but if it's close to a normal sound I believe that they would calm down much quickly from it and go about their buisness as usual.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:00 am

I would also sit right and not do any thing to call any additional attention to my location.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”