Deer tactic's... Stopping deer for the shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you stop your deer?

Stop him.
13%
Shoot him walking / or wait till he stops
22%
Depends on the situation
65%

Total votes: 99
crankn101
500 Club

Re: Deer tactic's... Stopping deer for the shot?

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:00 am

I like to shoot them at a slow walk, they never know what hits them.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:44 am

Anyone who watched my 10 pointer video from last fall knows that I shot him walking. They also know that earlier in the hunt I unsuccessfully tried to stop a buck between two pine trees. Depends on the situation. If they're close, ill shoot, if a tougher shot, ill try to stop them.

Bleating vs grunting/whisling/some other noise: bleating seems least likely to spook them. I exclusively bleat now, and more often than not bucks won't even look my direction. They just stop looking straight ahead, give two tail flicks and keep walking, or get an arrow in the chest. The bad thing is sometimes they don't stop right away. Sometimes it takes a second bleat to stop. Sometimes that means a missed opportunity.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 am

I try to make the best decision based on all of my senses. I really like for them to stop on their own, but will stop them with an "errrr" if necessary. I will also shoot them on the slow walk at 12 yards or so and under....outside of 12 yards I notice some accuracy issues when trying to shoot them on a slow walk so I rarely ever do it.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm

I've stopped the last 5 bucks I've killed bowhunting. 2007, 2008, 2009 and both in 2011. All with a simple bleat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 am

I've stopped most all of the deer that I've shot and never had a problem with them spooking.

I wouldn't be against taking a shot at a SLOW-walking animal IF I had practiced the shot in the past on the range. I haven't practiced shooting at a moving target and I would bet that most other people haven't either. Zap sounds like he practices this quite often and that's exactly what it takes to be confident when the opportunity presents itself. It also sounds like alot of guys have gotten the experience necessary to make those shots by practicing in the actual harvest situation and now they are quite confident in their ability to make those shots.

I've never taken a shot at a moving animal and I haven't practiced shooting at a moving target on the range so there's no way that I can be confident that I will be able to make that shot under pressure in the moment of truth. So I will stick with stopping them before the shot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 am

I have shot many at a slow walk, but most stop or hesitate offering a standing shot. I think a person who practices at a still target can easily shoot a deer at a slow walk at close range. Stopping deer in my opinion makes it much easier to miss cause you have to shoot the deer where he stops, and quickly, or he will catch on and take off. When they stop they lock onto you, and often jump the string now that you put them on edge. I would rather catch them by complete surprise, and have them have no idea they are being hunted till the arrow passes thru them.
With that said, I have stopped some deer, because they were moving to fast for an ethical shot.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Good read.

I have always stopped my deer no matter the distance. I have never had any issues doing it, but I suppose it wasnt necessary to stop them in some situations when I have. When I stop thm I give them a "baaahh". I have never had one pin point me, and thinking back, it would seem like as they stopped they didnt lock on me, it seemed more like they couldnt figure out what the sound was or where it came from. Just my experience, but as I read through this thread I realize that I have never really though about NOT trying to get them to stop, I just always did it as as if it was what I had to do.....amazing to see how learning from what I saw in hunting videos growing up still has such a prelevant impact on certain aspects of the way I hunt.

This year I am going to shoot one walking! :D
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:31 am

I find it very difficult to shoot a moving target with a bow.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am

bump
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

shoot him walking or wait til he stops.
I hunt whitetails all year long.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

I have always tried stopping them with a little grunt or whistle... But ever since last year I will be rethinking this strategy as I had a nice 10 pt within 15 yards moving at a fast walk... I grunted at him in an attempt to get him to freeze and he bolted for the thicket about 40 yards away :(, he then turned to take a look at me in my stand...
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 pm

the buck i shot this year i stopped but it was moving to fast for the untrimmed public land shooting windows. But outside of a rut suitation i usually dont id rather not but wont dismiss the idea every suituation is so different.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 pm

kurt wrote:the buck i shot this year i stopped but it was moving to fast for the untrimmed public land shooting windows. But outside of a rut suitation i usually dont id rather not but wont dismiss the idea every suituation is so different.

Exactly... I stop them if I have too...
Going thru my video footage recently, its amazing how many deer bolt at the sound of a grunt or noise intended to stop them. But in some cases, you have no choice.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:47 am

Jay

Unread postby Jay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:07 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I just hope they stop after the shot! :D

Amen brother!!! I've lost them every way you can imagine. Stopping them, waiting for them to stop, shooting them walking, you name it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”