Getting In and Out of a Marsh Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BookBuck

Getting In and Out of a Marsh Stand

Unread postby BookBuck » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:32 pm

I just got my first "real" dose of marsh hunting late this past season; I like it! Anyway, I do have a few questions about my experiences this year. So, is it wise to alter(cut marsh grass and cattails) existing deer trails to make access to the interior of the marsh easier? Should I cut an entirely new path through the cattails and marsh grass? Or just leave the marsh alone and work with it the way it is?

"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear
Zap

Re: Getting In and Out of a Marsh Stand

Unread postby Zap » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Any new trail you make will be used by deer.

Not sure why you want a new trail?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:51 am

I usually use deer trails to access my stands, especially my evening stands. Cattails are usually to thick to efficiently navigate without a trail... It works well in the evenings because by the time the deer goes down your trail and smells you he has passed your ambush point. Mornings on the other hand, the deer will smell you on the trails on the way in and abort the area.
I have made trails to access morning spots, or areas that have bad or dangerous trails. I generally like to go in from a different area than the deer so I am not walking past the same deer I intend to hunt in the morning, and so they are not accessing the bedding areas from my trail, cause as Zap said, they will use your trail. I have one trail I put in with a compass and a machete about 15 years ago that I use 1 to 3 times a year and have never reworked and the trail is still there because the deer keep it open.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:52 am

I've actually made trails to divert deer closer to my tree in hopes they use them - it does work...

Also blockade old trails purposely to divert deer.
Just like humans they want the path of least resistance, just not the smell!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BookBuck

Unread postby BookBuck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:03 am

Yeah, I could easily see the deer adopting a "new free & easy" trail, if that trail connects two areas where they want to be. Excellent points about the significance of human scent on trails in relationship to morning posts and evening posts.
Thanks!
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I've actually made trails to divert deer closer to my tree in hopes they use them - it does work...

Also blockade old trails purposely to divert deer
Just like humans they want the path of least resistance, just not the smell!

Great point Ed. I have done a lot of this myself.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:08 am

Interesting topic.

What do you guys usually use to block old trails in the marsh if it's just cattails? :?:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”