Patience ? Confidence ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Patience ? Confidence ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:19 pm

I,m hoping I will acquire more of one as I acquire the other.Dan made a post a while back about CONFIDENCE in his hunting and also in his video Marsh Hunting.He talked about believing in your plan in order for it too pay off.And in his video how he truely believes the deer he is hunting is gonna come walking out where he set-up.For the first time in my years of hunting,I am gaining some of that confidence in my hunting.In years past I always tried to just be PATIENT out in the woods.My dad would remind me of our Uncle Allen ,who had this large rock out in the Northwoods ,that he would sit on everyday until he shot his deer,Buck or Doe ,it did,nt matter to him.He brought a ration of coffee and food,1/2 a cup of coffeee every hour and so-on.Some years he would sit only half a day,others would find him on that rock still, after 5 or 6 days until that tag was filled.I never looked at his hunting style as being confident.Always just thought ,man he has a lot of patience.He always got his deer ,so mabey it was a little of both.
My past hunts always seemed so random.This spot looks good,I bet they,ll come through hear,here's a nice scrape to set-up on.If I,m PATIENT and can sit it out,I should get one. It was always mabey this or mabey that.
The only problem was I,m not a very patient person.And random set-ups don,t work to well for an impatient person.I wanted to know what deer could walk past me on a hunt. Not just hope some random buck happened to be in the woods that I randomely choose.
I always combed through the magazine racks and DVD's looking for some type of system that could bring me close to this .
I,ve killed a lot of random bucks over the years,some by shear luck ,some by a lot of patience,a bunch by good shooting.But none that I have truely hunted.All those other deer I,ve taken I knew nothing about,sure I might have spotted them feeding a time or two,or they ran out of the woods in front of the car.Mabey I got a trail cam photo of a few.But that was about as deep as it ever got.
After owning HUNTING MARSH BUCKS ,now I feel I,m really hunting these great bucks that I,ve always dreamt about.
This season I,ll have a lot more confidence out in them swamps ,it will be a lot easier to be patient with a little confidence in your back pocket.
Thanks Dan, for your knowledge and unselfishly passing it onto others to enjoy.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Patience ? Confidence ?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:58 am

Heck yeah! I feel the same way. I have learned a lot of things over the years but Dan's videos really made everything come together for me. I can't really explain it, but it was like a light bulb came on to me. :D
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:30 am

Good post...a person needs confidence...not only in his location, but also in his/her equipment and shooting ability.
Those are all key factors in success.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 am

Exactly!!! Same for me!! When i started seeing bucks during daylight it was weird. I remember seeing three 1.5 year olds my second year. I thought that would be the best i could ever do. Since the DVD's i learn more every year and my success has increased every year. Can't wait to see what 2010 brings!!

Thanks Dan and everyone on the form!! 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:37 am

I agree with the others, confidence and patience are key attributes to being successful. IMO hunting swamps, especially those where you cannot see more than ten yards, adds another dimension to how difficult being confident and patient can be. As an example, picture one of my setups where I have a buck scouted out in a remote conifer swamp. Maybe I've cut the bucks track at a creek crossing and believe he's using a particular bedding area. I'm just off one of his primary exit routes for an evening hunt a short distance from his bedding area, and I can't see more than thirty feet in any direction- with the exception of the one or two twenty yard shots I've got to his runway. My point is, you'd better be confident and patient in this environment or it can mentally create the need to hunt elsewhere! For me at least, being able to see more than ten yards is much more relaxing and enjoyable- the point being hunting super thick cover adds another dimension to the difficulty of being patient and confident.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 am

I have told a bunch of guys who are still looking for that fisrt big one that the first one is the toughest. I believe this is because of the patience, confidence thing. Once you know you can do it your confidence goes way up and so does your patience. Sitting all day, hunting in brutal conditions will test your patience. Believing that the big one will show will make the difference.
And thanks Dan and the rest of you hard core buck hunters. You have helped make me a better hunter!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:29 am

I have told a bunch of guys who are still looking for that fisrt big one that the first one is the toughest. I believe this is because of the patience, confidence thing. Once you know you can do it your confidence goes way up and so does your patience.

Agree 100%
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat May 01, 2010 1:04 am

I have definatly stepped it up a notch, since watching the DVD's and listening to all the good advice on this site. I can find the beds but, I am still am having a hard time predicting wind currents and theramal effects on deer, and how the use them to pick their beds and exit routes. Plus, I hunt farmland, hills, and swamps, it seems like deer use each of these terrains uniquely. I have still got a lot to learn, but that's the fun part. :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”