Swap Hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Swap Hunts

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:18 pm

muddy wrote:I would love to set up some hunt swaps, problem is finding people who want to come hunt Iowa bucks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:lol:

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 am

I've done quite a few swap hunts/fishing trips, and continue to do them. Most of my swaps are Lake Michigan salmon/trout fishing trips, been fishing the lake for along time. But have taken people to Lk Erie walleye, NWO deer
hunting, BWCA MN deer hunting, salt water fishing in Florida, and a couple out west hunts.. But living in MI, haven't taken anybody deer hunting here, wouldn't want to disappoint them. :lol:

Have meet many people doing these over the years, some have become lifelong friends and we look forward to our time tegether every year, good times. Have friends in the U.P. we turkey hunt with every year, buddies in S. Dakota that we pheasant hunt with and will probably do a mule/whitetail hunt with, couple of buddies in CO that we elk hunt with. Had a couple of guys out fishing from N.Carolina last year, they had a great time, still trying to figure out what they do in NC :lol: .

If you have never done a swap hunt/fish with other people, you really need too. One of the best ways that I know to experience different areas of the country and try new things with like minded people. And the time shared provide alot of good memeories. These days people are always worried about getting taken advantage of and keep to themselves, read quite a few threads lately about keeping your spots to yourself. You might be surprised that when you give and help another person out, you get more than you expect in return. Think it, Plan it, Do it....life is short.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 am

Im down, heres what I have

Turkeys out the wazooo... over counter tags
WORLD class trout fishing, C&R Streams and Harvest streams
Dink Bucks
Lake Erie Trib Steelhead - I used to guide there, we could do that

I dont own or have access to any private land but I have lots of places to go and we'll have a good time.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 am

Im still looking for anyone who wants to maybe join me in Ohio this fall, stipulation is you should probably come in spring cause I really dont want to be a guide. Cabin is cheap, Deerslayer and I have talked about him maybe coming. Cabin sleeps 4, first week of november, $125 for the entire 7 days. Public land.

Guide comment... I will gladly help you scout and Ive already been studying aerial maps, I have about 9 locations picked out and if you join, you can certainly hunt them. If youre coming to hunt here, I dont expect you to scout, Ill put you in a stand. Im going to Ohio blind, not like I have years of spots like I do here. If you wanna pick your own spots, Ill help you look them over too. Plan to spend a weekend scouting and then the first day this fall probably seeing what the status is. Ill gladly give you the maps where I am headed if you join.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am

I have done this quite a bit as well. usually I swap hunting for fishing, the places I go to deer hunt have way better hunting than I have here at home and would probably be a major bummer to anyone coming from a good deer hunting area to hunt here...but we have some of the best fishing on earth. It works out great!
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 am

i have not done this but would like to. iI think it is a great idea, although the spots I have are public and heavily pressured and havent had too much luck yet. I would be happy to swap for a fishing trip or two... Could do a muskie trip or what ever.. have boat will travel! 8-) i am a much better fishing guide than a hunting guide! :D
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 am

muddy wrote:I would love to set up some hunt swaps, problem is finding people who want to come hunt Iowa bucks.

Yeah........ :lol:

You still have the spot open in the walmart parking lot?
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 am

I haven't ever "swapped" a hunt. I have brought out quite a few people from forums though. I don't have the time and freedom to travel much, but I could bring someone out. Lots of rules to follow though.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:25 am

Like G3 mentioned I don't hunt the best areas for quantity of good bucks and what I consider a good buck some might be dissapointed.

So, hunting related don't have a whole lot to offer in swap. if a guy wants assistance with bear hunting (takes quite a while to draw a tag) I can sure help out in area B for northern WI.

I run baits off and on even without a tag trying keep spots active and keep tabs on bear I know of. Could trade something if guys draw a tag.

Another option is musky fishing if a guy is in to that. I do quite well fishing musky, pretty good success with different guys tagging along. One year had (3) guys get their 1st fish, good times but tough work and multiple big fish days are tough to do and not the norm for guys just starting out.

Some of the larger fish guys have taken with me that I have on this computer.......

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:

Yeah........ :lol:

You still have the spot open in the walmart parking lot?

I'm not lying, a guy shot a 235+ non typical 1/4 mile from a Walmart lot in western Iowa this last season.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 am

Brad Lamont wrote:I have thought about it but the only problem is my spots that are on public land have not proven to be 100% reliable, when I get to the point that I can regularly have a chance on decent bucks, then I might be willing to do something like this, but I want to make sure that whoever came to hunt here got a fair hunt out of the deal. But, to answer the original question, I have given it thought before.

I'm in the same boat and most others are too, except for the "Ellites" and they don't want some hack hunter from NH... :(

I do think that you could have alot of dialog and trail picture swapping to make each other comfortable with swapping.
Heck - it's more about enjoying a new friendship and hunting stories to me anyways.

However, I would like a 50% chance to offset my investment with a decent rack 110" or above!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
spring creek

Unread postby spring creek » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 am

I could be interested in something too. My best offer is an area that would extend someone's season from the north. I know an area..it's public land but is very tightly regulated..that the season runs until Feb. 15th. Heck..the bucks just starting chasing about 2 weeks ago!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Well I have an excellent spring walleye spot literally down the road from my house, 2 miles tops. If a guy has waders (I have a boat but did better wading that in the boat), I can hook you up with river walleye action. I would trade for a good lake walleye trip or pike trip, or muskie, or any deer or turkey hunting. I also have an excellent bow fishing spot, it is LOADED with carp, only problem is it is effected by the depth of the river, when it is shallow you literally can not reel the arrow back in fast enough with out missing shot opportunities. If a guy wants bowhunting, I have some public spots, I have seen some decent deer, but like I said before, seeing them and killing them are different stories. I also have several state parks close where we could get the maps, go in blind, and see where we wind up, I have a canoe and jon boat so we can access the islands. If anyone is interested in something like this, let me know via pm.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm

moondoondude wrote:I haven't ever "swapped" a hunt. I have brought out quite a few people from forums though. I don't have the time and freedom to travel much, but I could bring someone out. Lots of rules to follow though.

I am curious as to what the rules are?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote: I'm in the same boat and most others are too, except for the "Ellites" and they don't want some hack hunter from NH... :(

I do think that you could have alot of dialog and trail picture swapping to make each other comfortable with swapping.
Heck - it's more about enjoying a new friendship and hunting stories to me anyways.

However, I would like a 50% chance to offset my investment with a decent rack 110" or above!!!

I keep inviting you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”