knowledge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bonemonger

knowledge

Unread postby bonemonger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:19 am

i am new to this sight and would like to offer some advice. never close your mind to learning,even from the most inexperienced novice. when you read a article learn something from it even if it doesnt pertain to the area you hunt, there is always little things that can improve you ability to put the whole picture together. i watched Dans lone wolf set up and it made me think about approach and noise even tho i dont hunt swamps. people always want to think there is some big secret, but its the little things you learn that will make sucessful. mother nature is and open book, take the time to read it. Bob

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: knowledge

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 am

Good post. Welcome to the site.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 am

That's a great post.

I'll take it a step further......Don't take what anyone says as 100% truth, either. I'm not sayign they're wrong. I'm saying.......go see for yourself. Try something different. Don't fall into the trap of "Deer do __________".

Again...nice post.
Lateral Bowhunter
spring creek

Unread postby spring creek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 am

Welcome! I'm a newcomer to the site too. Based on reading through the various threads; I have come to realize that I don't hunt the same way that these guys do. Not sure whether I'm just no good at it or the differences in the country. I'm not sure their methods would be as effective in the deep south; but am keeping an open mind about it. I would be really interested in seeing how you would all approach this area. Enjoy the site and post away!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

spring creek wrote:Welcome! I'm a newcomer to the site too. Based on reading through the various threads; I have come to realize that I don't hunt the same way that these guys do. Not sure whether I'm just no good at it or the differences in the country. I'm not sure their methods would be as effective in the deep south; but am keeping an open mind about it. I would be really interested in seeing how you would all approach this area. Enjoy the site and post away!

Where you from Spring Creek?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
spring creek

Unread postby spring creek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:52 pm

Central Louisiana
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:59 pm

bonemonger wrote:i am new to this sight and would like to offer some advice. never close your mind to learning,even from the most inexperienced novice. when you read a article learn something from it even if it doesnt pertain to the area you hunt, there is always little things that can improve you ability to put the whole picture together. i watched Dans lone wolf set up and it made me think about approach and noise even tho i dont hunt swamps. people always want to think there is some big secret, but its the little things you learn that will make sucessful. mother nature is and open book, take the time to read it. Bob

good post bob ...welcome to the beast .......

makes me think
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 pm

spring creek wrote:Welcome! I'm a newcomer to the site too. Based on reading through the various threads; I have come to realize that I don't hunt the same way that these guys do. Not sure whether I'm just no good at it or the differences in the country. I'm not sure their methods would be as effective in the deep south; but am keeping an open mind about it. I would be really interested in seeing how you would all approach this area. Enjoy the site and post away!

Welcome to the Beast. I think if you never hunt a bedded buck, or never intend to, you can take a huge amount of information on buck bedding and put it to use in your hunting method.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
spring creek

Unread postby spring creek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm sure you are correct. I would guess that 90% of my hunting is in feed areas. The other 10% would be split between hunting scrapes and rubs or in travel corridors. The bedding areas here are just so thick that it is hard to imagine being able to do it effectively. Like I said earlier, I would be interested in seeing how the "Beast" would approach it. Not that I have any doubt you guys would find a way....just curious what I could do to improve myself.

I know a bunch of guys that hunt a corn pile. It's not nearly as effective as one would think. Seems to create a bunch of nighttime activity.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 am

Let's put is this way, I am in Florida and the stuff that I have learned from watching the 2 dvds and reading how to scout using topo maps is enormous. I look at all the topo examples they post and see how they relate to the pulic land I use.

I am now finding more deer beds than I ever have, in the sand hills, and the swamps down here.

I could not thank the individuals on this website enough for sharing their knowledge.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

JV NC wrote:That's a great post.

I'll take it a step further......Don't take what anyone says as 100% truth, either. I'm not sayign they're wrong. I'm saying.......go see for yourself. Try something different. Don't fall into the trap of "Deer do __________".

Again...nice post.

Wise words JV NC

Great Post. We are all here to learn, welcome.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”