Do you ever have does bedded on your approach route?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Do you ever have does bedded on your approach route?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 am

Just curious how many have had does bedded where you intend to approach a buck bed, or a stand site. This can blow a hunt in a hurry. Did it blow your hunt?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Re: Do you ever have does bedded on your approach route?

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 am

Who dosen't disturb does going to their stand from time to time?

I don't like it, but the hunt goes on. Other deer have no idea what's going on if they don't smell you.

But I don't hunt individual buck beds. If your hunting one buck bed, and does blow right through it, chances are good the buck will leave too. But if you jump the does 500 yards from the bed, there's a decent chance the buck might stay.

When deer hear something once, they go on alert for a while. If nothing else happens, they calm back down.

If they hear stuff more than once, the buck might slip out of there undetected.

A saying I use is: A buck will hear you three times, and see you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:18 am

Occasionally I'll bump a doe or 4 in one spot I have (near a field edge), if I go in there in the afternoons. But, it's rare. I don't enter in that direction in the early season (when I know they'll be bedded there). It's a fluke for them to be there in late Oct./early Nov..

Has it ruined my hunts when it happened? Couldn't tell you. I'm not being a smart-guy, here......because I've oftern wondered this, myself......

What are the ones you just jumped gonna do when they get back to the others????? Tell them??? Do you think the ones you jumped influence where the others go that day??? Do they know what you were (what scared them off)? Is it something so out of the ordinary that they wouldn't come back through there, later (maybe dragging a buck)?

I don't give these animals supernatural powers that others do. I see it like they got bumped (something that happens ALL THE TIME). If it's not egregious, they might come back in record time. Heck, I've shot more than one deer with a second arrow.....that just HAD to find out what made that sound....and came back.

I don't typically see bucks bedding anywhere around (outside the rut) does. So, this isn't typically an issue.
Lateral Bowhunter
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 am

Yes does have busted me on several occasions headed in. Some times I think it ruins the hunt. Other times I think not so much.... depends on where they run to and how much of a fuss they make. Also the weather plays into it. If it's windy or raining that obviously muffles the sound of busting deer. The proximity of the doe bedding to buck bedding is the biggest factor, I think..
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah I hate when I get blowed at by a doe. I have to believe if you are on stand and a doe is blowing at you everything knows something is up. I also believe your chances just went down considerably on that stand that hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Stanley wrote:Yeah I hate when I get blowed at by a doe. I have to believe if you are on stand and a doe is blowing at you everything knows something is up. I also believe your chances just went down considerably on that stand that hunt.

While I don't like it, a blowing deer dosen't ruin a hunt. I've watched way to many deer totally ignore a deer blowing. I have actually seen a blowing doe call in bucks on a couple of occations. And deer blow during buck chases all the time too. There's lots of reasons they blow. It dosen't run every deer out of the county though.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

yes this has happened to me ...a mourning stand i would walk up the ridge from the cabin to...dang near every mourning i busted does out or deer who knows what they were....they would just stand there and blow at me and blow and blow.......i haven't walked up that way in 4-5 years know i abandon that mourning stand :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Yup but weather it hurts your hunt or not I think depends on a lot of things... I know when a deer bust me n blows at me I don't much worry because I've had a lot of cases where deer would come through shortly after and even cases where it was the same deer that just blew at me coming back to see what happened... Now if this happened to me while I was within 200yrds of a buck bed I would probably worry some and perhaps try to circle around and get more on the other side of his bed if conditions allowed it

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

During the rut it's not necessarily a bad thing. Things are moving around like crazy anyway. In general if I bust them out ggoing in, I welcome this as I can refine my route in. No problem.

The problem is when they let you go by and don't bust out. Then they impact your hunt without you having any idea about it, without you being able to adjust.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”