Bachelor groups and bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Bachelor groups and bedding

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 am

I was hunting tight to a big buck bedding area on 9-17 this year. There was one particular buck I was after and I was sure he was bedding where I had scouted. About an hour and 15 minutes before dark, a buck with a huge tumor and and a rack around 120 inches comes out of the bedding area; I was kind of disappointed because I cut huge tracks going in this bedding area on my way to the stand. The second buck was an eight that would have pushed 140 inches....I still can't believe I passed this deer!! LOL However, the season was brand new and I knew what I wanted. While I was fixated on the big eight, the big buck I was after quietly snuck into my shooting lane. I drew back, but of course a tree branch blocked his vitals :(

Three bucks within 5 minutes of each other, and two of them were bonafied wall hangers! Those deer were obviously still grouped up in bachelor groups at that time of year. At the end of September, most bucks in my area have broken up out of these bachelor groups.

Zap

Re: Bachelor groups and bedding

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 am

I have seen bucks grouped up here in Kansas in mid october and mid December.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”