Buck Fever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Buck Fever

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

When do you guys usually get buck fever? Right when you see the buck? When you can hear him coming? After the shot? And how well can you keep your composure at the moment of truth?

I like it more when the buck surprises me and I have to make a quick decision more so when I can see the buck coming and I'm waiting for that right shot. When I can hear a buck coming and it's grunting is also a time when I start to shake a little :oops: .

There was a time during the rut this last year I was hunting a big 150 class 10 I heard was in the area and saw shining a couple of times. I sat a stand that I possibly thought I could take him out following a group of does from a cornfield back to bed. Well That morning I was perched up in the cedar tree and just as I planned here comes some does and I could hear grunting in behind them. That is when I lost control, I was picturing a 150 class 10 pointer following the does and I was just all shooken up, could barely breathe :lol: . To my suprise it was a little dinky 6 pointer.

Man, is there anyway you can control yourself? Sometimes I can to a point but that was bad. Thinking back I don't want that to happen again, that would probably result in a unethical shot or a miss...

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck Fever

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:04 am

It goes away after you get a bunch of kills under your belt.. The more experienced you get a killing, the better the experience will be.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:17 am

dan wrote:It goes away after you get a bunch of kills under your belt.. The more experienced you get a killing, the better the experience will be.

I hope I never lose it , that is my favorite part of hunting, and I get a surge of adrenaline right before the shot on any animal, even squirrels. Usually I handle situations better when it all happens fast, I go into autopilot mode. It sucks because every thing is going through your mind so fast and all, but that is what I hunt for. I don't get it on animals that I don't want to kill, but as soon as I tell my self that I intend to kill that particular animal if given the chance, the flood gates open. That is also how I "judge" my bucks in the field, I don't look them over with a fine tooth comb, if I see them and go "WOW" and get that surge, I reach for the gun or bow.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:33 am

Brad, there is a difference between getting an adrenaline surge and shaking so bad its hard to make an ethical shot... I don't think anyone wants to shake before the shot...

I used to get it a little when I was younger. Especially when I would have to watch a big one for a long time heading slowly my way.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 am

dan wrote:Brad, there is a difference between getting an adrenaline surge and shaking so bad its hard to make an ethical shot... I don't think anyone wants to shake before the shot...

I used to get it a little when I was younger. Especially when I would have to watch a big one for a long time heading slowly my way.

That is true, I guess I remember the first few years when it was hard to get the gun or bow up etc as being like that, probably due to not being as experianced and not real good at crunch time yet. I still am barely functioning on most of my kills, especially bows, just because I get the shakes so bad but not so much with the bow shaking etc, its more when I reach for the bow I can see my hand doing summersaults etc, and where I really notice it is trying to put my release on the loop, it looks like I drank a pot of coffee lol! I have killed over 40 big game animals, and I can agree it gets easier because of the previous times, but I am still like Stan Potts in the tree before and after the shot.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:44 am

I am generally stone calm until I let an arrow fly...once that happens I still get the shakes like I am freezing cold, buck or doe....I love it!
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:37 am

When I first make visual confirmation that a large buck is around, my heart tries to beat out of my chest and I breathe heavily. After a few minutes, I usually am able to calm myself for any potential shot. So, I would rather have a few minutes before the buck presents the shot.
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:45 am

I don't get the lose control shakes. The hunt for me is the anticipation of the next encounter. That is what drives me. After the kill I get the rush and a feeling of accomplishment.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:00 am

As soon as I confirm it is a shooter I go into a zone, stay completely calm and focus on the exact spot I want to put my arrow. My heart rate goes up but I don't get the shakes before the shot.

After I release the arrow I go into a full body shake like I am suffering from hypothermia even if it is warm out! :lol: It's actually quite funny and I have to sit down for awhile to settle down. If I ever lose that feeling it's time hang it up and try something else. Hope that never happens! :pray:
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:53 am

When I first make visual confirmation that a large buck is around, my heart tries to beat out of my chest and I breathe heavily. After a few minutes, I usually am able to calm myself for any potential shot. So, I would rather have a few minutes before the buck presents the shot.

^^Reality

As soon as I confirm it is a shooter I go into a zone, stay completely calm and focus on the exact spot I want to put my arrow. My heart rate goes up but I don't get the shakes before the shot.

^^What I try to do. I have around +/-40 whitetail bowkills. I don't recall shaking for a long time, now. Heart rate up? I sure hope so. If I never felt that, I'd quit hunting.

If I could bottle the adrenaline rush and sell it, I'd be rich.
Lateral Bowhunter
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:11 pm

When I first saw the buck I killed this year I had a surge of adrenalin and did feel a little "shaky". When the buck headed my way I went on autopilot and felt dead calm until I shot. It would have been funny to have me on video after the shot I was shaking like crazy :lol: . I made a few phone calls while in the tree and I could hardly talk, my teeth were chattering and I was shivering. :lol:. I hope that excitement always happens after a kill.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:22 pm

The only time I get shaking really bad is if a buck comes in and I'm a little cold. Heck, I get excited when I know I'm going to get a shot at a doe, but not "shaking" excited.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:42 am

I don't usually get too bad before the shot. Even watching them slowly make there way to me I'll get a racing heart for a second but then I can calm myself down. Now after the shot is different I have an adrenaline rush like no other and and shaking so bad I usually have to sit down. As long as my mind stays busy trying to anticipating there next move I seem to be ok.
Bobby G

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”