Pick a date

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Pick a date

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:58 am

The mature bucks in the AM thread got me thinking.....

What's the earliest you've seen a mature buck on his feet in the AM? Pick a date.

I'm not talking about a buck that got bumped. I'm talking about a natural occurrence. If it happens for you a lot, say so. I'm intrigued.

I'll start....

Earliest I've seen a mature whitetail buck, still on his feet (in the AM daylight) is Oct. 31.

Lateral Bowhunter
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Pick a date

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 am

I cant tell you the exact date for sure but it was the last week of October, peek of our breeding occurs the first week of november
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:14 am

JV NC wrote:The mature bucks in the AM thread got me thinking.....

What's the earliest you've seen a mature buck on his feet in the AM? Pick a date.

I'm not talking about a buck that got bumped. I'm talking about a natural occurrence. If it happens for you a lot, say so. I'm intrigued.

I'll start....

Earliest I've seen a mature whitetail buck, still on his feet (in the AM daylight) is Oct. 31.

two years ago i seen a buck come back to his bed after daylight it was the second weekend in September ....matter of fact it was a Thursday September 30 ....the moon was over head or underfoot (i dont really remember that) at 620 in the mourning .......if i remember right it gets light at like 645 that time of year here in western Wisconsin...perfect mourning to hunt and perfect wind to bad it wasn't what i was looking for...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:16 am

I would assume this is only when the hunting season is open? Are trail cams ok or did you have to see the deer for yourself?

I've seen them various times Aug to Nov, either hunting or from the road. Most of that activity is closer to the rut but there have ben a few Sept to mid Oct. I have also seen numerous trail cams of bucks on their feet in the am, that is if you trust time stamps. I can't say I have ever seen an am buck late season.
Last edited by headgear on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:20 am

headgear wrote:I would assume this is only when the hunting season is open? Are trail cams ok or did you have to see the deer for yourself?

i was thinking the same thing ...i have pics of a buck going in to his bedding area like at 800 am in the mourning in August.......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 am

Headgear:

Most people here are bed hunters. Let's keep it to when you're hunting.

perfect mourning to hunt and perfect wind to bad it wasn't what i was looking for...

Bighunt....was this a mature buck? Just curious.
Lateral Bowhunter
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 am

BigHunt wrote:
headgear wrote:I would assume this is only when the hunting season is open? Are trail cams ok or did you have to see the deer for yourself?

i was thinking the same thing ...i have pics of a buck going in to his bedding area like at 800 am in the mourning in August.......

two years ago I had two VERY respectable pa bucks come back to bed at 10:30am the first week of spring turkey season. they just happened to be bedding in the same stand of pines the turkeys were roosting. i saw them come out of a patch in the middle of the field, come down, follow an overgrown fence row. they crossed the fence row, walked towards a different bedding area but something made them change their mind. they started up over the field to the entrance I was sitting at waiting for the turkeys. I had out a full strut decoy. they came in all dumb till they saw that decoy, then they lost their minds. they were kicking and running and acting like fools.

they ran back to the fence line a 100 yards away and headed east towards another section of woods. when they got to a low area in the field they could use to go around me the bigger one went right up it into the pines, the other continued to the other bedding area.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 am

JV NC wrote:Headgear:

perfect mourning to hunt and perfect wind to bad it wasn't what i was looking for...

NO....most likely 2 1/2 small eight point......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 am

BigHunt wrote:

NO....most likely 2 1/2 small eight point......

regardless of age if it had a good rack i was going to shot it ......the buck in my avatar i think is 2 1/2 a good two...he would of looked better 3 1/2 but im not ready to start being that picky on my bucks i shoot....

matter of fact i have pics of the same buck im talking about , two years in a row using this bedding area coming in and out ....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am

regardless of age if it had a good rack i was going to shot it ......the buck in my avatar i think is 2 1/2 a good two...he would of looked better 3 1/2 but im not ready to start being that picky on my bucks i shoot....

matter of fact i have pics of the same buck im talking about , two years in a row using this bedding area coming in and out ....

I wouldn't blame you (if you had shot him). I'd also have congratulated you; helped you drag him (if you were closer) and snapped all your hero shots.

I mentioned mature bucks in the thread opener, though. For this discussion, it makes a difference.

I very much like the buck in your avatar!
Lateral Bowhunter
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am

If you are talking about mature bucks I assume you mean 3 1/2+

In this case the earliest date I saw a mature buck on his feet in the morning from my stand was probably Nov 1st. I don't hunt many mornings outside the rut so this may be somewhat biased though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:21 am

Duck hunting ok? :D I was a pretty big duck hunter in my youth and have seen at least 3 good mature bucks on the move during shooting hours when armed with a shotgun, all in early Oct. I was probably hunting close to their bedroom but had no idea at the time. Bowhunting the earlist woudl be sometime around Oct 25th, not sure on the date. A handful of more viewings from game cams/vehicles, however all of those are spread out over 30 years so it is a rare event.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 am

All year long.

I have seen them personally (sometimes driving down the road) and trail camera pictures. Most of my trail cams are placed over a handful of corn. Not that I hunt these spots......don't really expect to see a mature buck at the cams in daylight, but from time to time bucks show in the am daylight.

Does am daylight activity curtail after the start of hunting?.....you betcha. But it sure isn't non-existant.

Heading out to fish in the mornings during late summer/early fall see bucks from time to time.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 am

I've had bucks heading to bed 30 minutes to an hour after daylight on October 2nd, and October 16th. However, I would guess that they were 3.5 years old (140") and not 4.5. I can't say I've had any experience with 4.5+ year olds in the morning that early in the season.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 am

Just use whatever age YOU consider a buck to be "mature".

Thanks for the replies.
Lateral Bowhunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”