Pick a date

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Re: Pick a date

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 pm

in 09 I saw 2 MATURE bucks on public land the opener in mid September...

They didn't look like they were spooked at all but when they crossed my scent trail they were. They were huge both 140 class and up, huge horse bodies, glistening in the sunlight...ugghh I will always remember that.

I'll bet you will!

Good stuff. How many others, through the years (mature bucks in the AM - early season)?

Lateral Bowhunter
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:43 pm

JV NC wrote:
in 09 I saw 2 MATURE bucks on public land the opener in mid September...

They didn't look like they were spooked at all but when they crossed my scent trail they were. They were huge both 140 class and up, huge horse bodies, glistening in the sunlight...ugghh I will always remember that.

I'll bet you will!

Good stuff. How many others, through the years (mature bucks in the AM - early season)?

I'm am not the greatest candidate for the job on this question (only been hunting 9 years) but that was the only time I've seen any mature buck outside of the rut in the morning...
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 am

Doesn't matter how long you've been hunting. I appreciate your input.

People can cram a LOT of tree time in a short number of years.

Thanks again.
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:20 am

I kind of shake my head at this post... You want me to list the dates when I saw bucks in the morning?
I couldn't give you dates when I seen them at all... How would you expect someone to remember dates? All I can say is yes, I have limited success in early season and so have friends of mine.

Basically, bucks are generally bedded in the morning before shooting light during early season...
You can take three approaches...

1) You can consistently hunt mornings anyway and spook your bucks and hurt your success. But I figure those doing it figure more time in the tree is helping them.

2) You can take the approach that hunting mornings is to risky, and decide to skip mornings during early season. People doing this seem to figure they are doing less damage by not spooking deer.

3) You can make the occasional calculated planned attack in the mornings based on what mornings the bucks are most likely to move in the AM...
This approach can also be combined with hunting the bucks who are bedding in areas where you could not possibly get close enough in the evening.

My approach is #3...
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:11 am

You want me to list the dates when I saw bucks in the morning?

Well.....yeah. Don't you find it intersting that a lot of people see mature bucks (early-season) so rarely -- that they DO actually remember the date(s)?

If you see a bunch of 'em, that's great!

I didn't mean to leave you shaking your head. But, I would like to hear more about this.

3) You can make the occasional calculated planned attack in the mornings based on what mornings the bucks are most likely to move in the AM...

What would make an early-season, mature buck stay out later in the AM? What are the clues to look for/know. I too would like to choose this option.

Thanks.
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:42 am

What would make an early-season, mature buck stay out later in the AM? What are the clues to look for/know. I too would like to choose this option.

Evening or night time storm that leaves the morning calm...
Moon over head / underfoot within a couple hours of daylight.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:45 am

JV NC wrote:
I called no one here......"lost".

My mistake, I apologise. Hopefully you can see how "here" could have easily been misunderstood for this website and not your home state/area.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:31 am

Headgear...it's all good. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and just ask them what they mean - prior to forming an opinion. Do I do that 100% of the time? Sadly, no.

Like I said, it's all good.
Lateral Bowhunter
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:13 am

Thanks.[/quote]
[tab=30] Seen later big buck movement on foggy calm mornings.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:32 am

goldtip5575 wrote:Seen later big buck movement on foggy calm mornings.

I have been seriously bowhunting for 4-5 years. My first year of hunting one large public tract, I saw a mature buck (at least 3.5+) with a younger buck around an hour after light on a cool, damp, foggy morning in late September of early October.

I never really put two and two together before.
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:53 am

Opening day of deer season would be the earliest. However my cameras tell me in August also, that is when I set my cameras out. Good thread.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”