How consistent is doe bedding? Also a buck bed quest....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

How consistent is doe bedding? Also a buck bed quest....

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:04 am

1) I know we talk about buck bedding and that is what most people talk about, however I would like some opinions on the consistency of doe bedding. If doe bedding is consistently used by small groups of does then finding doe bedding in the off-season would be nearly as important as finding the buck beds come the pre-rut/rut.

2) Also, do any of you mark buck beds with say blaze orange tape, then walk back to observe the visual capabilities of the buck as it beds? I think this might help me as I try to pick out a tree or two outside the visual of the buck, yet close enough to get a crack at it before sundown. After using the orange tape while scouting I would take it down. Anyone do this?

headgear
500 Club

Re: How consistent is doe bedding? Also a buck bed quest....

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:29 am

I certainly pay close attention to where the does are bedding but I honestly don't know how conistantly they use that bedding. Some places seem to alwasy hold does and others are kind of sporatic. I would guess they are affected by some of the same influences bucks are, preferred food, cover, safety, pressure but overall the does are just easier to locate so I don't expend a lot of effort finding or patterning them. No doubt you need to find some does to hunt near during the rut but I guess an empty doe bedding area could still produce a buck if you catch him checking that doe bedding area or get him going to or from the doe bedding area.

I like your orange tape idea, it would help nailing down the bed from a distance when you pick out a tree. I usually spend a lot of time sitting in the bed looking around and studying the area but never marked one that way. The thing to think about is how much cover that bed will have when you hunt it, if its early season and everything is thick/green you can get away with a lot of stuff or get much closer, in the fall there might be far less cover between you and the deer, post season things are wide open.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:34 am

I know every one of my doe bedding area's to a tea. A big part of my hunting come the rut Is based off of hunting these doe bedding area's. Doe bedding area's (the ones I pay attention to) are very consistent.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:38 am

Great topic. Doe bedding is the key to rut hunting in my opinion. Does bed more consistently during the rut than most bucks do. A doe is concerned about food and security/bedding until she comes into heat and then breeding is her concern. After breeding is done, does go back to bed and food. A buck is concerned about breeding for a much longer period of time (entire rut). This is why I key on doe bedding areas during the rut.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:41 am

A good doe bedding spot in thick cover will get used all year provided the deer can find food. The best doe spots I have found have groups or pockets of does bedded in circles or semi circles. I have some real nice pics on my computer at home illustrating this. I look for these areas just as hard as I look for buck bedding.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:06 am

Brett:

I think a doe's home range is far smaller than a buck's. I think that's (if she's on your property) one of the two main factors that makes her easier to kill.

Around here, they're highly predictable. I do have one group of slightly nomadic does, though. I know of 3 different spots this group beds in. What I can't figure out is why. I can sit (during the rut) between two of the beds on any sit. But, I'm never sure which one they're gonna be in.

The rest of my doe groups are money. I know where they bed, every day (area). The only variation is when there's beans in one field and they bed closer to that field.

IMO, THE most important thing a hunter hunting a new piece of property can do.....1st thing....is locate the does. You can talk buck bedding all you want. But, if you fail to find the buck beds, you're gonna need a backup plan. Hunting does, during the rut, is always my backup plan.
Lateral Bowhunter
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:41 am

I also like your idea of using orange tape to help figure out what you can get away with. I have some doe bedding areas that I hunt year after year during the rut.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 am

I have seen pretty good buck early morning movement during early and late season. On both public and private ground.
Early season would be the time that I would most use this tactic.
I would think during the peak rut time would be the worst time to try to catch a buck going back to his bed at dawn.

Hopefully this coming season things work out for me to try this tactic.
I have two spots that I have found for it so far.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 am

I think primary scrape areas are established based on doe bedding areas (also on feeding areas but that's going on at night). And the consistency that these areas are set up year after year is a sign that the doe bedding areas are consistent year after year. At least it seems that way in the hills where I hunt. I like to find those big scrapes right at the end of the valley floor, where everything from that point leads up. That's a sign that the doe beds are on a ridge just above that scrape.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 am

Saddle, cool stuff. I will surely begin looking for those scrapes. I remember Autumn Ninja saying the same thing some time ago, so what you are saying enforces his thoughts. Good stuff.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 am

I agree, doe bedding is more consistent, and they hang out in a smaller area. One thing, I notice is during the rut, after the does have been harrassed by all the young bucks they switch up their bedding in an attempt to hide from all the bucks. Here in farm country, I find if there is standing corn the does gravitate towards that. My thoughts are it's harder for the bucks to find them in there. Anyone have thoughts on this.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 am

Anyone have thoughts on this.

Don't know about the bedding. But, I think they hide from bucks, too. I witnessed a doe group stage in a different spot than normal 5 hunts in a row, this past season. I've mentioned this on here, before.

It worked 4 out of 5 times. Dumb (bad) luck it didn't work every time.
Lateral Bowhunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”