Can you beat a mature buck back to bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Can you beat him home?

Sometimes, Only If The Moon Is Right
22%
Sometimes, Depends On Pressure
11%
Always, Most Of My Success Has Been Before 8am
No votes
Almost Never
50%
Only In The Pre or Post Rut
No votes
Weather Dictates It
17%

Total votes: 18
Zap

Re: Can you beat a mature buck back to bed?

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 am

I have seen pretty good buck early morning movement during early and late season. On both public and private ground.
Early season would be the time that I would most use this tactic.
I would think during the peak rut time would be the worst time to try to catch a buck going back to his bed at dawn.

Hopefully this coming season things work out for me to try this tactic.
I have two spots that I have found for it so far.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:16 am

Ive always thought peek would be the best time to hunt a morning. With the premise that a buck might return in the travel cooridor pre dawn and lie in wait for all the doe's to filter by and get up to cut a track. You probably wont beat him to his bed, he wont be at his bed. Just a good time to have a chance in morning.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:30 am

dan wrote:
JV NC wrote:Dan:

I'd love to hear of his kills, outside the rut and AM. I'd be very interested in hearing about that.

One example would be his "bump & dump" buck from the hill country DVD... There are many more.

another good example of this is predator TCs buck form last year i think......the one were he bumped the buck off its bed the one day came back the next mourning and shot the buck coming back to bed at the same bed we was in the day before ....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:22 am

jlh42581 wrote:Ive always thought peek would be the best time to hunt a morning. With the premise that a buck might return in the travel cooridor pre dawn and lie in wait for all the doe's to filter by and get up to cut a track. You probably wont beat him to his bed, he wont be at his bed. Just a good time to have a chance in morning.

I am no expert, but my opinion would be that a buck would wait in the early morning along doe travel routes/primary scrape locations that are in cover during the pre-rut.
Not at one of his primary beds.

I would agree that getting into one of these locations(doe travel/series of scrapes in cover) during the pre-rut would be advantagous.
I believe that this type of strategy would require being set up a few hours before sunrise.

I have actually found one of these type scrape areas latley......a field edge of a standing milo field.
Three large burr oaks on the edge, four large scrapes in a row and maybe ten licking branches.
Public area.

During the peak rut I believe that a mature buck is mostly with a doe.
After peak rut, mostly cruising/with a doe.

As I see it any of the rut times are the time a buck would be least likley to be going back to his bed at dawn, I may be wrong thou.

So I guess we agree on that.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:55 am

Zap wrote:
JV NC wrote:
You probably should stick with what is working for you, JVNC.

When I was a teen I lived in Brooklyn. I wanted to get good at BB.
I had a good game locally, but I really wanted to improve.

So I used to go and play in other neighborhoods.
My friends thought I was crazy....
I really did not fit in there, and took alot of bumps.

But after a while the fellows saw that I loved the game and wanted to get better.

Well I did get better, and I could walk home knowing that I had earned some respect the hard way.
Thats how I feel about bow hunting deer, I want to get better and I am willing to take some lumps in the process.

Thats one way to look at it....

I looked at it like Zap was going to maybe quit hunting Kansas, step up with the big dogs, earn some respect and put some booners down in TN. like my dad, Ed Stone, Bobby Worthington, but IDK.

Hunting big bucks in KS, MO, IA, IL is kinda like a pick-up game with a bunch of 1st graders, ;) .

Just a friendly heads up though, the booners in KS will out number the booners in TN, 100 to 1.....So if its not happen "there" with much consistence. You might want to stick with whats working (or not working :shock: ) for you, Zap.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:

I looked at it like Zap was going to maybe quit hunting Kansas, step up with the big dogs, earn some respect and put some booners down in TN. like my dad, Ed Stone, Bobby Worthington, but IDK.

Hunting big bucks in KS, MO, IA, IL is kinda like a pick-up game with a bunch of 1st graders, ;) .

Just a friendly heads up though, the booners in KS will out number the booners in TN, 100 to 1.....So if its not happen "there" with much consistence. You might want to stick with whats working (or not working :shock: ) for you, Zap.

This post is exactly the kind of post not welcomed on the Beast. Respecting others is a big part of what this site is about. Now, get back on topic!!
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
JV NC wrote:
You probably should stick with what is working for you, JVNC.

When I was a teen I lived in Brooklyn. I wanted to get good at BB.
I had a good game locally, but I really wanted to improve.

So I used to go and play in other neighborhoods.
My friends thought I was crazy....
I really did not fit in there, and took alot of bumps.

But after a while the fellows saw that I loved the game and wanted to get better.

Well I did get better, and I could walk home knowing that I had earned some respect the hard way.
Thats how I feel about bow hunting deer, I want to get better and I am willing to take some lumps in the process.

:naughty:
Last edited by BigHunt on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm sure it can be done and it has been done quite a few times...

I don't mean to sorta take this off topic but I'm more interested in finding out how it can be done...

I don't really mean condition and factors to keep the buck from getting back to his bed after daylight but what to look for to give you a pretty good idea of where he will be coming from so you don't cross his path at all... Also how to find out if the buck normally circles his bed to scent check it before he enters it???

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Hunter74
I know Dan has said a lot of time marsh bucks will enter their beds with the wind at their back, that way they can smell anything tracking them. Now this makes sense because in a sea of cattails the buck knows there is very little change of something ambushing him and he is more worried about his back trail. I have tracked bigwoods bucks that scent check their bedding area first and then do a large loop so they enter their bed with the wind at their back. These guys are chased by wolves year round, they want to know their bedroom is safe, looping also lets them keep an eye on their back trail in many situations and if all else fails the loop allows them to wind their back trail. Another bigwoods bed I know of the bucks enter strait into the wind skirting the edge of a beaver pond, in this case he can hear or see anyone tracking him. I think how they enter can be entirely situational depending on the layout of the exact bed. Hopefully that makes sense.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Hunter74 wrote:I'm sure it can be done and it has been done quite a few times...

I don't mean to sorta take this off topic but I'm more interested in finding out how it can be done...

I don't really mean condition and factors to keep the buck from getting back to his bed after daylight but what to look for to give you a pretty good idea of where he will be coming from so you don't cross his path at all... Also how to find out if the buck normally circles his bed to scent check it before he enters it???

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Not off topic at all. Good questions.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Stanley wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:I have a hard time picking one because I have killed three good bucks the last three years in a row all for different reasons. The first one was because of the moon and lack of pressure the second one was pre rut and the third one was because the buck was rutting in the late season with a fawn.

What about the moon caused you to kill that buck? Just trying to understand.

The Date was 9/12/09 if anyone has a chart and they can look it up. But I use primetime and it tells me when the best deer movement for each day is. This particular day, I think it was around 7 am. I have noticed, they always come earlier than the moon chart says if the moon chart says late morning.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:57 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
Stanley wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:I have a hard time picking one because I have killed three good bucks the last three years in a row all for different reasons. The first one was because of the moon and lack of pressure the second one was pre rut and the third one was because the buck was rutting in the late season with a fawn.

What about the moon caused you to kill that buck? Just trying to understand.

The Date was 9/12/09 if anyone has a chart and they can look it up. But I use primetime and it tells me when the best deer movement for each day is. This particular day, I think it was around 7 am. I have noticed, they always come earlier than the moon chart says if the moon chart says late morning.

Interesting for sure, thanks for the response.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”