Question for You Michigan guys.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Question for You Michigan guys.

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 am

For anyone hunting Michigan, Have you noticed an increase in hunting pressure during the archery season due to the legalization of crossbows. I think they have been leagal for 2 years now, and I know from comments on here MI has a lot of hunters. So since crossbows have been legal, have you personally had to deal with more hunters in "your spots"?

BCam

Re: Question for You Michigan guys.

Unread postby BCam » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 am

Yes. I have in my area. There were already a lot of bow hunters but not many Amish bow hunted. That has since changed.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 am

Amish...

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 am

A M I S H....aparently it won't let you use that word if typed normally?
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:39 am

I have seen a pretty big increase on something that was alreay bordering rediculous pressure. From my favorite tree stand I can see 5 raised box blinds and 6 tree stands all on surrounding properties. A lot of "gun only" hunters have picked up the cross bows to extend their season. They leave the bow shop capable of shooting 3" 50 yard groups.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 am

I believe it brought more pressure to the private land, because people are able to sit in their gun shacks and hunt with their x-bows. I personally did not see anyone toting a x-bow on public land this year, but with the return of baiting also I'm sure there were a lot of them out there. I hunt my public areas when nobody else is out there.....typically mornings during the week. The deer, and bucks, know when it is safe to move, and it's not during the evening hours or weekends!
Straightshot

Unread postby Straightshot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 am

I personally didn't see one crossbow hunter this year on public ground in Michigan, but I did most of my hunting in Ohio this year. I can say that every time I was at the bow shop there were crowds around the crossbow section, so I would have to assume the pressure did increase if that is even possible in Michigan.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:09 pm

I noticed an increase in the amount of crossbow hunters...but not necessarily an increase in overall bow hunting pressure..I think some people just went with crossbows over the conventional compounds.
On a side note, I did notice and increase in crappy shots made...for some reason people seem to think a crossbow can shoot long range. That is the most frustrating part of it all to me
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Yes. Not only where I hunt, but I had at least four people in my family (and their friends) that were gun hunters get a crossbow so they could hunt archery season and have at least quadrupled there time on the public land they hunt.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I believe it increased in the last 2 seasons, based on the published numbers(they make us get a xbow stamp). However, in studying the numbers i believe we are just getting back to where we were archery pressure before tey were allowed. I don't know if some outside Michigan realize the mass exodus weunderwent. Before the recession went national we were losing about1300 families pee monthin 05and 06.

I spoke with a lot of dealers at the 2010ATA, when I asked them about x bow sales in Michigan they said it saved their shops. I think a lot of positives came out of it

I dont like typing on my phone hard to correct typos.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 am

Yep. Not sure it's people who never hunted before, more people who only gun now are shooting the arrow guns during bow season. We have a small shop by me & it has helped them a ton he pretty much only sells xbows now. In the last 2 years about 600 & maybe 20 new bows, he's now not even stocking bows. I would say he sets up 95% of them & the people shoot it a couple times & that's all till @ an animal. I know several have bought a bow 1 day & shot a deer a day or 2 later & never shot it till they did at the deer.

I have no problem with people using them I just think it needs more regulations, like only if under 18 or over 55 until after gun season starts. Our deer hunting here just keeps getting worse & worse from a rules standpoint, with the early doe, xbow hunting, extending muzzle loader season....every year it seems like they are making it closer & closer to impossible to allowing a buck to make it through the fall.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:48 am

Havent noticed a difference here in the UP.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:11 pm

rudy78 wrote:Yep. Not sure it's people who never hunted before, more people who only gun now are shooting the arrow guns during bow season. We have a small shop by me & it has helped them a ton he pretty much only sells xbows now. In the last 2 years about 600 & maybe 20 new bows, he's now not even stocking bows. I would say he sets up 95% of them & the people shoot it a couple times & that's all till @ an animal. I know several have bought a bow 1 day & shot a deer a day or 2 later & never shot it till they did at the deer.

I have no problem with people using them I just think it needs more regulations, like only if under 18 or over 55 until after gun season starts. Our deer hunting here just keeps getting worse & worse from a rules standpoint, with the early doe, xbow hunting, extending muzzle loader season....[glow=red]every year it seems like they are making it closer & closer to impossible to allowing a buck to make it through the fall.[/glow]

MI DNR could care less if a buck makes it through......all they want are the license dollars!
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Ack wrote:
rudy78 wrote:Yep. Not sure it's people who never hunted before, more people who only gun now are shooting the arrow guns during bow season. We have a small shop by me & it has helped them a ton he pretty much only sells xbows now. In the last 2 years about 600 & maybe 20 new bows, he's now not even stocking bows. I would say he sets up 95% of them & the people shoot it a couple times & that's all till @ an animal. I know several have bought a bow 1 day & shot a deer a day or 2 later & never shot it till they did at the deer.

I have no problem with people using them I just think it needs more regulations, like only if under 18 or over 55 until after gun season starts. Our deer hunting here just keeps getting worse & worse from a rules standpoint, with the early doe, xbow hunting, extending muzzle loader season....[glow=red]every year it seems like they are making it closer & closer to impossible to allowing a buck to make it through the fall.[/glow]

MI DNR could care less if a buck makes it through......all they want are the license dollars!

BINGO!!
Bowman81

Unread postby Bowman81 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 pm

I have not noticed any increase in pressure. I do have a friend who was going to give up bow hunting due to a rotator cuff problem who has been able to continue hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”