Dan and Andre and everyone else.. Dogs for tracking?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Dan and Andre and everyone else.. Dogs for tracking?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:00 am

Dan, I know you just like everyone else loose deer but I have never heard of you or andrea using a tracking dog? Have you used one? If not, Why?

For everyone else. Have you ever had a hard time finding a buck so you called in a dog that found it no problem?

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: Dan and Andre and everyone else.. Dogs for tracking?

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 am

I have used a dog before with great succes. A guy near my cabin in Wautoma Wi. has a long haired weiner dog. Especially works well with gut shots.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 am

I have used a dog before with great succes. A guy near my cabin in Wautoma Wi. has a long haired weiner dog. Especially works well with gut shots.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:20 am

Not legal here.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 am

I have a friend in NE Arkansas that raises bloodhounds. His stud dog Elvis is a deer trackin machine. He shot a deer last Monday and used Elvis to track it the next mornin. Took him right to it.

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 am

Mixed reviews.

The only time I used one, here, she was unsuccessful. The buck was down, she just couldn't find it. I think her handler told me she was 15-18, though (before our encounter). Pretty good, I guess.

The only guy I know who owns a tracking dog swears by 'em. 'Course, it's illegal in his state (to track with a dog). I've seen the dog pee; crap (indoors or out, makes no difference); dry hump guests and run for the hills if let outside without a leash. I'll vouch for him being good at those things.
Lateral Bowhunter
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:14 am

I'd be for it. Sure beats losing a deer.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 am

Legislation introduced this year in Iowa to make it legal.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 am

My bow buck from 2008 was hit in the guts. Landowner's yellow lab is trained to track deer blood and went right to the deer the next morning. Also pretty good at finding sheds, but now his hips are junk and its just a house dog :( If the dog barked, the deer was still alive. If the tail was wagging real fast, dead deer!! :D This dog struggled when the trail was only little drops here and there, just not enough to go on. I'm all for it though!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 am

interesting thread here
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 am

I've only used one once but won't hesitate to again if needed. This buck was deep inside a swamp. Knee deep water 3/4 of the way..with no visible blood. Somehow the dog tracked it down.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am

I have not used a tracking dog... I have tried using untrained dogs with bad results, I am not sure if Andrae ever had good results, but I know he hired guys to track deer a time or two with dogs but each time the trail had gone cold before the dog got to the scene....
Agustus

Unread postby Agustus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:55 pm

I have Drahthaar males that have been trained to track blood. Our newest/youngest male is about 22 months old and successfully tracked 7 deer this season.

We use them even when we know we hit the deer hard and the track is short to build confidence when the track is more difficult.

It's a great bonus to have when you've exhausted your ability and risk losing a deer.

Rick

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 pm

The guy by me is on his second or maybe third dog. He likes the long haired dautshound . He trains them all the time. My experience with him is If it was looking like I couldnt find the deer, I wouldnt hesitate to call him.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Had this experience 3 seasons ago... I shot what I believe to be my first truly mature (4.5 or older) buck, had a body like a brauma bull, and the rack wasn't bad either... I thought I crushed him, I watched my arrow split the tuft of hair I aimed for, he ran 25yrds got wobbly and plowed dirt with his chin as he went down... He kicked around got back up and ran another 40yrds and hit the dirt again... I didn't see him get up so I sat for 20 mins then got down right about 8am... Walked to where he first fell just to check it out plenty of blood so I followed it to were he fell the 2nd time and the . wasn't laying there... He did however kick the arrow there... The shot was a pass through but the arrow had stayed in him till now and it looked like a murder scene with a red carpet of blood leading away... With all that I wasn't worried but I backed out to get a couple buddys... We were back in 2 hours later and followed mass amounts of blood for another 80yrds to were he fell yet again and then bedded for some time and he still wasn't done... W.T.F..? Within 50yrds of this bed blood became very sparse so we backed out and called a buddy with a dog... The dog took us to 2 more beds over a distance of more than 250yrds with almost no blood except in the beds... After the 3rd bed the dog couldn't figure out which way the buck went and it was starting to get dark... We ended up not finding that buck and to this day I haven't a clue how but without the dog we would have never found the 2nd let alone 3rd bed... So in a situation where you hadn't just shot the bionic buck I'm sure they could come in very handy

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”