A tracking story - hot sign

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: A tracking story - hot sign

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:25 am

I would be interested in hearing how far some of your "tracks" have taken you.

This includes rifle season and late muzzleloader.

What I'm trying to verify is there is a lot of posts on here about mature bucks keeping a small home range. Can't say I'm seeing that same thing. ( I guess there are some bucks in my area doing this but I don't know about them.)

I believe we pretty much all agree here a buck can and does travel long distances when in the heat of the rut. But even during late bow season big bucks seem to still put the miles on. Some even running a type of a circut not making it back to areas for a couple of days.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 am

I did some digging and this is the only pic I can find right now. He's the buck in my right hand.

JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:38 am

magicman54494 wrote:I did some digging and this is the only pic I can find right now. He's the buck in my right hand.

That's cool Magic!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:40 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:I would be interested in hearing how far some of your "tracks" have taken you.

This includes rifle season and late muzzleloader.

What I'm trying to verify is there is a lot of posts on here about mature bucks keeping a small home range. Can't say I'm seeing that same thing. ( I guess there are some bucks in my area doing this but I don't know about them.)

I believe we pretty much all agree here a buck can and does travel long distances when in the heat of the rut. But even during late bow season big bucks seem to still put the miles on. Some even running a type of a circut not making it back to areas for a couple of days.

A lot of people think the rut is over a lot sooner than it really is. Well into mid dec. bucks are still searching for does.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:53 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:I believe we pretty much all agree here a buck can and does travel long distances when in the heat of the rut. But even during late bow season big bucks seem to still put the miles on. Some even running a type of a circut not making it back to areas for a couple of days.

I've seen this first hand. I once set up a popup ground blind on a bucks circuit that overlooked a grown over clearcut. I wondered what the buck would do when he came back and there was a groundblind on his path. A few days later he came thru and came unglued when he came to the blind. He tore out of there and bounded down a steep hill into the cutoff. :lol:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 am

dan wrote: Out of all the ways we hunt, I think tracking teaches you the most, but you have to be an observent person to absorb whats going on. Just following tracks teaches us only a little. But useing our mind to decipher what we are seeing, and what the deer are doing really shortens the learning curve.

It's like the CSI shows on TV where they show the crime scene then they flash back and show the crime actually happening. That's how I approach tracking. It's like I envision the deer actually in it's tracks and doing what the sign shows me. I once saw hoof prints on a leaning tree about 3 ft. off the ground. The doe was using that tree to reach way up and eat cedar branches. Cool stuff!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 am

magicman54494 wrote:

A lot of people think the rut is over a lot sooner than it really is. Well into mid dec. bucks are still searching for does.

I agree.
Straightshot

Unread postby Straightshot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Cool story and nice buck.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:24 am

good stuff magic, i love tracking in snow, i especially love bumpinga buck in off season to see just what his routee will be when bummped. its amazing how manay times i have had bucks take me through doe bedding areas and try to confuse me, cause he knows im on him and hes trying his best to loose me. u can learn so much .
Chinook

Unread postby Chinook » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:07 am

rudy78 wrote:Amazing what can happen when we r spending time in the woods trying to figure them out, you never know how/where they just might show up when your out there, not to mention what we learn, most of the time that's what not too do though, lol.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X2
Good story magicman

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”