LOOKING UP?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

LOOKING UP?

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Does it seem like deer tend to look up more in certain areas of the country, or is it just related to hunting pressure?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Re: LOOKING UP?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:02 pm

I think it has alot to do with hunting pressure but I am starting to wonder if the instinct is getting bred into them. Seems like even fawns in some areas know to look up. I don't recall this happening years ago! :?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:16 pm

I would think that "looking up" is a learned behavior due to hunting pressure. There is no way that hunting pressure has been applied for enough years to induce genetic evolution (fawn "knowing" to look up at birth). Evolution takes thousands of years.
"In the deed, the glory"
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm

I have not seen much of it, I wonder if more of it is swirling winds or lack of cover where they picked you off at a distance, but weren't sure what you were.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

I've noticed it more in stands that I've had preset for a few years... I don't think I've been seen once while in a stand that I just set up and hunted or stands that I set then hunt a couple days in a row... I think having the element of surprise and them not yet knowing the stand is there has a lot to do with it...

I have had a couple times in the last few years though that the deer (all mature does) just looked up at me for no apparent reason, they didn't see or smell me they just looked up at me... But again these instances happened in stands that have been there for a few years

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I think it 100% has to do with hunting pressure. I can get away with a lot in other states compared to in MI. Even in MI it has to do with how much pressure is in that exact area. One place I hunt is bordered by public ground that gets pounded & every deer around there is always looking up. I have another place where I hunt a few miles away in an area with very little bow pressure & they hardly look up. I don't think it has anything to do with when the stand is hung, on the piece where I rarely have them look up those stands have been up year round for the last 3 years & I haven't moved them, the other piece we have moved stands every year including during the season. Out of state most of the time my stands are hung in the summer or spring & very, very have a deer look up. If deer r picking you off in trees I would say it has way more to do with scent then it does seeing you in the tree, as far as if a stand was just put up or has been there for a while & overall the amount of pressure drastically dictates whether they will be looking up or not.

To me I don't think there is any way the deer can remember where every tree stand is n the woods unless they have had a 'bad experience' from that tree/area in the very near past. If they could see & remember every tree in the woods that well they could tell if there is a stand in it, you would never be able to kill them & they would never be able to move anywhere. Think how they would feel when a storm went through or some leaves fell off they would be paralized by fear. It all has to do with what they feel is a direct threat & I think that's dictated by how much pressure they receive, in relationship to how much they look up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm

I too cast a vote for hunting pressure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:02 pm

In Michigan, the fawns are born looking up into the trees! :)
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 pm

hunting pressure for sure, once a deer is alarmed by something up why wouldnt they know to look up?
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 am

Another vote for hunting pressure. The fawns learn it from their mother. However a good Camo and maybe going up another 3' makes a difference if your under 18'-20'. New locations of stands etc. one things for sure though... If somebody went in your living room and moved a chair or hung a picture on the wall you would notice it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 am

In South Dakota and SW WI, you could do jumping jacks in your tree and the deer will look straight ahead :lol: In North WI, they could see you blink from 1/4 mile away!! :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 am

Like others have said I'm sure It's hunting pressure. I see It more after gun season has passed here In Minnesota. Although I often have wondered If this too Is bred Into these deer. I see them looking up tree's In my 1st sits of the year. :mrgreen:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Hunting pressure...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”