Tips for finding beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:24 pm

gjs4 wrote:for the farm boys- the opposite corner of the predominent wind will be thick and hold doe beds- look 50-100 beyond in the same direction atop any rise

fallen trees along creeks or islands within them

sad but true- old junk, delapedated barns and farm equipment in fields

Great tips!

Can you expand on that first sentence a little more? Opposite corner of what? Im assuming the woodlot, but then 50-100 yards beyond that would be a field..right?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:41 pm

gjs4 wrote:

And old brushy homesteads. These bed pics are from last weekend.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
gjs4 wrote:for the farm boys- the opposite corner of the predominent wind will be thick and hold doe beds- look 50-100 beyond in the same direction atop any rise

Great tips!

Can you expand on that first sentence a little more? Opposite corner of what? Im assuming the woodlot, but then 50-100 yards beyond that would be a field..right?

Also interested in hearing about this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:31 pm

I read about the bedding on the downwind corner before but I really haven't found it to be true, I'm not saying it won't or doesn't happen though...

I hunt central WI farmland and one thing I've found several times is the bucks bed is in a location that allows him to see or smell your typical entrance rout... For ex. just off a logging road or atv trail often used to walk through the woods or just off the driveway leading to a parking spot (have found this a few times on public)

I've also seen them use abandoned building foundations and things of that nature for bedding...

My tip would be look at the overlooked stuff and especially the overlooked spots right under your nose, the spots you always walk past to get "deeper" in

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Just out of curiosity, when you guys talk about farmland, how much of an average section is wooded, and how much is tillable cropland?

The "farm country" I hunt in western wisconsin is like 200+ wooded/400 cropland. In comparison, the farmland I hunt around where I grew up is typically less than 25 acres wooded per section, and 615+ cropland. Deer tend to bed in woodlots that cannot be hunted (due to not being able to get permission), or the wood lots are so small that there is pretty much no way to sneak up on them..
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Why not just buy the bbo videos from this website? Still amazes me how many of these same threads keep popping up...

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:57 pm

jack_4mn wrote:Why not just buy the bbo videos from this website? Still amazes me how many of these same threads keep popping up...

I think this thread is a little different from the typical "how to find beds" thread... I kinda like the idea of "post up all the different ways...." thread. Probably alot of useful information that isnt covered in the videos - such as farm country, big woods, etc...
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:42 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Just out of curiosity, when you guys talk about farmland, how much of an average section is wooded, and how much is tillable cropland?

The farmland that I hunt has a decent amount of woods... I'd say for the most part its about 50/50 woods to fields... A lot of 50-200 acre sections of woods with fields bordering and breaking up the woodlots... It's not the type of farmland that you have tons of open field with small woodlots and fence rows here and there...

Most of it that I hunt is also slightly broken terrain... Nothing like the western side of the state but smaller hills and ridges and valleys... A lot of the hill country bedding does apply here but it doesn't seem quite as prevalent

Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Dewey wrote:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey this looks awfully familiar... There's a place across the road from some property I hunt that looks a lot like that but I think its an old barn foundation over by me...

Anyway a neighbor told me a buck used to bed inside the foundation till the guys that hunt there started parking right next to it

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:01 am

jack_4mn wrote:Why not just buy the bbo videos from this website? Still amazes me how many of these same threads keep popping up...

this is a talk forum right ......why not talk it out

and as cornfed said they dont cover farmland and big woods on the dvds....... so im also interested in whats said about farm land bedding.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:53 am

In marshes I often find beds on top of muskrat dens. They can be difficult to find though, new ones pop up all the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:54 am

venisonassassin wrote:In marshes I often find beds on top of muskrat dens. They can be difficult to find though, new ones pop up all the time.

relay ....very interesting ...thanks for the tip
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:00 am

Image An example
BigHunt wrote:
venisonassassin wrote:In marshes I often find beds on top of muskrat dens. They can be difficult to find though, new ones pop up all the time.

Yes. You can be looking at an expanse of cattails thinking that there is no bedding out there. There might not be any trees or brush or anything but cattails, but the muskrats build high spots that deer will bed on.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:55 am

venisonassassin wrote:Image An example
BigHunt wrote:

Yes. You can be looking at an expanse of cattails thinking that there is no bedding out there. There might not be any trees or brush or anything but cattails, but the muskrats build high spots that deer will bed on.

i cant see the pic its gone :(
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:03 pm

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”