Observations RE: Hill COuntry DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Observations RE: Hill COuntry DVD

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Zap wrote:I do not understand the blow back comment.

I am posting my opinions regarding the topic being discussed and answering questions about that topic.

If a buck does not bed at random why would he not use the same specific spot repeteadly?
If you feel that he uses the same spot repeatedly, why say that you think he does not?

I look at it like this:

If I want to hunt a certain exact spot that I believe a deer would come to, there may be twenty trees that I could use.
But usually only one is the best.

I believe that bedding is the same.
Certain exact spots give the advantage to the buck.

Well said zap :clap:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm

wooo man, i always miss the good threads :lol: im really confused :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:38 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:I think a lot of what we talk about here on the forum tends to overlap. We generalize buck bedding and aren't always thinking in terms of just hill country, marsh, big woods, or farmland. Most people I think would be more than tickled to shoot a 2.5 or 3.5+ deer and these videos surely help you narrow down the spots where you can locate their bedding. And probably an older deer too if the area has little pressure. The younger deer beds(maybe a trophy to you or me)are a little more predictable and pattern-able. I believe most 4.5+ bucks have found an area that is less obvious to bed in, where they can be left alone. Not many areas like this exist on most properties so that is why I think these big guys spend most of their time in a few select spots, no matter what type of terrain it's located on. There are no "always" or "nevers" when it comes to big bucks. Hunting pressure I believe has a lot to do with how "classic" or "tricky" an area is to predict the bedding on.

This is a good post!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:43 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:I think a lot of what we talk about here on the forum tends to overlap. We generalize buck bedding and aren't always thinking in terms of just hill country, marsh, big woods, or farmland. Most people I think would be more than tickled to shoot a 2.5 or 3.5+ deer and these videos surely help you narrow down the spots where you can locate their bedding. And probably an older deer too if the area has little pressure. The younger deer beds(maybe a trophy to you or me)are a little more predictable and pattern-able. I believe most 4.5+ bucks have found an area that is less obvious to bed in, where they can be left alone. Not many areas like this exist on most properties so that is why I think these big guys spend most of their time in a few select spots, no matter what type of terrain it's located on. There are no "always" or "nevers" when it comes to big bucks. Hunting pressure I believe has a lot to do with how "classic" or "tricky" an area is to predict the bedding on.

Great explanation. Brainstorming, trading ideas, theories, hypotheses, possibilities, are all part of the learning process.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 pm

I've followed all your post in this thread JV......I understand completely.

Im confused about where the confusion is coming from.

Maybe you should type slower JV, IDK?
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm

I understand where your coming from JV...The last few days you've been asking some great questions about how to hunt beds, always cool to see someone trying to learn. No question that helps you understand better is a dumb one.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:49 pm

I hunt big woods hill country with a low deer density. There are at least 50 prime bedding spots for every 1 buck. These beds change many times throughout the year.

After 8-10 weeks of 90+ temp's and not a drop of rain, the beds change drastically because of drought. Then when we do get rain they change drastically again, now theres water holes every where. Then deer season kicks in and they change again in certain areas because of pressure. Then the foliage and acorns start to drop and it all change again. The pre rut/rut starts and they change again. Then the hunting pressure picks up 10 fold and it all changes again. And when the winter and winter food source's kick in...you guessed it...the beds all change again.

Now couple that to a different wind almost every single day where I live and a buck never bed's anywhere at random, but has many, many beds he will use throughout the year (season).
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:I hunt big woods hill country with a low deer density. There are at least 50 prime bedding spots for every 1 buck. These beds change many times throughout the year.

After 8-10 weeks of 90+ temp's and not a drop of rain, the beds change drastically because of drought. Then when we do get rain they change drastically again, now theres water holes every where. Then deer season kicks in and they change again in certain areas because of pressure. Then the foliage and acorns start to drop and it all change again. The pre rut/rut starts and they change again. Then the hunting pressure picks up 10 fold and it all changes again. And when the winter and winter food source's kick in...you guessed it...the beds all change again.

Now couple that to a different wind almost every single day where I live and a buck never bed's anywhere at random, but has many, many beds he will use throughout the year (season).

What age class of bucks are you referencing? Your in Kentucky right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm

GRFox wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:

3+...Yes, I'm in Ky.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 pm

GRFox wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:I hunt big woods hill country with a low deer density. There are at least 50 prime bedding spots for every 1 buck. These beds change many times throughout the year.

Nevermind, I overlooked the bigwoods, and low deer densities. Funny how things can be so drastically different in different areas. The Benoits NEVEr mention any consisyency or habitual bedding in they're books.

In that setting being there is lower hunting pressureand big woods I could imagine there are a lot more safe areas to bed.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

GRFox wrote:
In that setting being there is lower hunting pressureand big woods I could imagine there are a lot more safe areas to bed.

Thing is...they bed exactly like Dan says, with a leeward wind and all....they just dont bed there every day, things are always changing (here).....way to much for that kind of constancy.

I hunt beds in hill country...I just have to guess where that one good buck per square mile is going to be based on wind...and a whole lot of other factors.

You could be right....more pressure might make bucks bed in a specific bed... ='s easier to hunt, IDK.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I think what people are missing is that JV is trying to point out that bucks have specific types of terrain that they commonly bed in, his point is that he does not see how you could pattern an individual buck...

The point I am trying to get across is you can pattern them, and they do prefer certain areas... In hill country they likely will not bed in a situation that exposes them to danger.... But they do have preferred points that cover most predominant wind directions. by having a bed on the point, on the left side of the point, and another on the right, they can sometimes cover winds from all but one direction. Sometimes the same area, just drop across a valley floor and the point on the other side will cover the left over wind direction and the buck never has to bed outside that area....

As far as "locking in on certain spots for several days, or even weeks straight... In hill type bedding, as long as the wind is right. In some areas where they bed in thick cover like swamps or marshes, sometimes wind has no bearing... In some low pressure situations I have seen them stick to a point even when the wind is wrong, especially if they have a good visual point of view.

We know they move to different points in different winds, but they still prefer certain spots on those winds.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 pm

dan wrote:I think what people are missing is that JV is trying to point out that bucks have specific types of terrain that they commonly bed in, his point is that he does not see how you could pattern an individual buck...

The point I am trying to get across is you can pattern them, and they do prefer certain areas... In hill country they likely will not bed in a situation that exposes them to danger.... But they do have preferred points that cover most predominant wind directions. by having a bed on the point, on the left side of the point, and another on the right, they can sometimes cover winds from all but one direction. Sometimes the same area, just drop across a valley floor and the point on the other side will cover the left over wind direction and the buck never has to bed outside that area...
This is exactly what I see, but in a low deer density which magnifies it...Thank you Dan!!!

This is also exactly what I read in JV's post's. :think:
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:50 pm

I think what people are missing is that JV is trying to point out that bucks have specific types of terrain that they commonly bed in, his point is that he does not see how you could pattern an individual buck...

I'm not saying you couldn't pattern him at all. I'm saying it's gonna take some homework (and legwork). Your DVD gives us the info. needed (tactic) to do it. It's just a LOT harder, when you know he's got several places he could be laying.....and only ONE that's right for the wind/time of day/etc....

Let me put it another way....I don't think there's anything overly difficult about finding "A" buck bed. I think you've only found one tiny piece of the puzzle. Now you have to figure out when he's using that particular bed (and why). Then, you have to find the rest of them....and again figure out why and when he's using them. Wouldn't it be easy(er)...if he only used the one?
Last edited by JV NC on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lateral Bowhunter
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:58 pm

JV NC wrote:

I'm not saying you couldn't pattern him at all. I'm saying it's gonna take some homework (and legwork). Your DVD gives us the info. needed (tactic) to do it. It's just a LOT harder, when you know he's got several places he could be laying.....and only ONE that's right for the wind/time of day/etc....

and isnt that the whole thing. Getting in each specific spot and figuring out when and why that spot so you can hunt those spot when those conditions present themselves.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”