Observations RE: Hill COuntry DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Observations RE: Hill COuntry DVD

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:20 am

Now you are confusing me, JVNC.

Did you have a specific question?

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 am

Am I the only one thats very confused? :?
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:28 am

I asked Dan a couple of questions (on the last page). Other than those (for clarification)....No. I don't have any questions. I never did. I was making observations on what I got from the DVD. You can look at the title and go back to the beginning.

I'm not making this stuff up. It's on the DVD. I'm making an observation (and, a pleasant one) on what I took from it. At least I'm trying to.
Lateral Bowhunter
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am

JV NC wrote:
Older bucks will lock into a bedding area / or spot . Not always. And usually it changes periodically. There is no guarantee the buck will be bedded in a certain spot, but the are factors that make certain spots more likely than others...

Wouldn't two of these be pressure and weather conditions?

Still.....nothing conflicting with what I took from the DVD.

When you guys are going over the topos and pointing out buck bedding in the DVD, are you not pointing out where you expect target bucks to bed? What age bucks do you think people purchasing your DVD's are after?I'm a little confused, now.

Why would they be pointing out these points if they didnt think a mature buck would be there? The entire foundation of the video is about hunting mature deer, and at that point in the video they are talking about where they would expect to find them bedding.

I am sure no one bought the video about killing mature bucks year after year with the desire to shoot spike horns and 4 pointers.

So just to clear up, thats where my confusion was.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 am

Why would they be pointing out these points if they didnt think a mature buck would be there? The entire foundation of the video is about hunting mature deer, and at that point in the video they are talking about where they would expect to find them bedding.

I am sure no one bought the video about killing mature bucks year after year with the desire to shoot spike horns and 4 pointers.

So just to clear up, thats where my confusion was.

I certainly assumed the same thing.
Lateral Bowhunter
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:50 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Am I the only one thats very confused? :?

I kind of am too.

He agrees with the video but some people on here seem to think bucks bed more specifically to single areas than the video insinuates?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am

He agrees with the video but some people on here seem to think bucks bed more specifically to single areas than the video insinuates?

Bingo.

Heck, I liked the DVD a lot :D
Lateral Bowhunter
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

JV NC wrote:

Bingo.

Gotcha.

Can you sum up your beliefs on buck bedding tendencies in a paragraph or two? I think that would be useful information and helpful! Thanks.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 am

I could, Ozzz .....but, that's the part I liked so much (about the Hill COuntry DVD). They showed a "typical" ridge with multiple points....and noted why a buck would use each of those points to best put himself in a defensive posititon (based on wind; what he could see; etc..., etc..., etc...). They noted how he might (would) use the other side of the ridge (and the various points, there) in a 180deg. different wind occurrence.

That's exactly what I see in real-life, HERE.
Lateral Bowhunter
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 pm

JV NC wrote:I could, Ozzz .....but, that's the part I liked so much (about the Hill COuntry DVD). They showed a "typical" ridge with multiple points....and noted why a buck would use each of those points to best put himself in a defensive posititon (based on wind; what he could see; etc..., etc..., etc...). They noted how he might (would) use the other side of the ridge (and the various points, there) in a 180deg. different wind occurrence.

That's exactly what I see in real-life, HERE.

What notions of other users on here regarding buck bedding do you disagree with?

No need to mention names or anything but what concepts to you mean to contest?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:09 pm

I am confused too...I think the way the original post was worded the observations were left kind of open ended like you were maybe looking for input on what you observed. I liked the hill country DVD too one of the best I have bought, right behind Marsh Bucks.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 pm

I don't mean to contest anything. ALL I wanted to do was say that what I saw on the DVD was refreshing.

I didn't get the scale on the topo, but I wouldn't at all find it unusual for a buck to bed on any of the points in that section (of the video). There were probably 4-5 on each side of the ridge.

Does 8-10 possible beds in a bedding area....... in a relatively small area conflict with anyone else's views? That might be the better question.
Lateral Bowhunter
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm

ozzz wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:Am I the only one thats very confused? :?

I kind of am too.

I agree with the video in that bucks have multiple "bedding areas" BUT, I believe that within that bedding area, a mature buck more likely than not uses one specific 3x5, pounded into the ground bed. I am speaking about an older deer. That buck might change bedding areas due to pressure, wind and food. Late season the bedding areas would tend to shift closer to the food.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 pm

I think a lot of what we talk about here on the forum tends to overlap. We generalize buck bedding and aren't always thinking in terms of just hill country, marsh, big woods, or farmland. Most people I think would be more than tickled to shoot a 2.5 or 3.5+ deer and these videos surely help you narrow down the spots where you can locate their bedding. And probably an older deer too if the area has little pressure. The younger deer beds(maybe a trophy to you or me)are a little more predictable and pattern-able. I believe most 4.5+ bucks have found an area that is less obvious to bed in, where they can be left alone. Not many areas like this exist on most properties so that is why I think these big guys spend most of their time in a few select spots, no matter what type of terrain it's located on. There are no "always" or "nevers" when it comes to big bucks. Hunting pressure I believe has a lot to do with how "classic" or "tricky" an area is to predict the bedding on.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:I think a lot of what we talk about here on the forum tends to overlap. We generalize buck bedding and aren't always thinking in terms of just hill country, marsh, big woods, or farmland. Most people I think would be more than tickled to shoot a 2.5 or 3.5+ deer and these videos surely help you narrow down the spots where you can locate their bedding. And probably an older deer too if the area has little pressure. The younger deer beds(maybe a trophy to you or me)are a little more predictable and pattern-able. I believe most 4.5+ bucks have found an area that is less obvious to bed in, where they can be left alone. Not many areas like this exist on most properties so that is why I think these big guys spend most of their time in a few select spots, no matter what type of terrain it's located on. There are no "always" or "nevers" when it comes to big bucks. Hunting pressure I believe has a lot to do with how "classic" or "tricky" an area is to predict the bedding on.

Well said, definitely true.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”