Deers Body Language

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Deers Body Language

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:16 am

What have you noticed about a deers body launguage? Sometimes they give indicators about what they will do next. What have you noticed about deer in your years of hunting deer.

Some of this will seem like common knowledge to some, and the same info might help someone who hasn't noticed.

Here's some examples:

I have noticed that when a deer pauses for some time, and then flicks it's tail, it's about to move.

When I hear a deer snort wheeze, there is another buck somewhere even if I can't see it.

Bucks and does snort.

When a deer is licking his nose, he is trying to get a better scent. Could be on you, or a doe.

Anyone else notice stuff a deer does? Especially things they do that leads to a certain response.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
tim
500 Club

Re: Deers Body Language

Unread postby tim » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 am

yeah when a deer gets down wind and puts its snout up in the air and is sniffing for dear life hes got you, get ready to say goodbye or shoot.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:21 am

Deer will snort and blow at predators, other animals including other deer. A buck will growl at a doe when she won't stand for him or runs away, or when he's trying to nudge her a certain direction.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 am

Deer will snort and blow at predators, other animals including other deer. A buck will growl at a doe when she won't stand for him or runs away, or when he's trying to nudge her a certain direction.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:46 am

A deer snort is not only alarm. They will snort to try and make you move when they think something is there. If you hear it enough :mrgreen: and listen close you can tell the difference.

Deer will drop there head to feed and then raise right back up to try and catch you moving. The head bob.
Last edited by Southern Man on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 am

When a deer blows most think its an alarm sound, but I think alot of times they are emptying their lungs so they get a full nose as they try to smell danger.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 am

When a buck lays his ears back he's getting aggressive or stands his hair up. When deer stamp their feet they are leaving scent that danger is in the area. Watch how they walk are they relaxed or walking stiff,if stiff or tense they are on alert and likely to duck an arrow if shot at. If they are constantly looking behind them or to the side they hear something or possibly being followed by another deer. If it's another deer they do this relaxed if it's danger they will stand still and watch the area for a while until they know what it is.

Bucks will growl at other bucks also when they are tending does out of frustration for the other bucks to leave them alone.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 am

JRM6868 wrote: When deer stamp their feet they are leaving scent that danger is in the area.

:D Had this one cost me one time, I was new to bowhunting and an old doe totally busted me, stomped a few times and took off with a couple of fawns. About a half our later here comes another doe, I was ready this time, got to full draw and was waiting for her to take a few steps. Sure enough she hits the stop marks, freaks out and stops out of bow range. Those early years sure taught me a lot about deer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 am

A doe with her tail held horizontal to the ground is getting close to estrous and a buck wont be far behind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:00 am

What about after the shot?

If I see a deer walking off flicking it's tail rapidly, its usually a good sign he's dying quick.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 am

Have you guys heard that growling sound very often? It's pretty intense when they do that, I've only heard it a few times. Usually involves a doe and a frustrated buck.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am

Deer will stop and stick there nose up in the air to check the wind all the time. You would be amazed at the number of hunters who think the deer walk around looking in the trees, lol.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 am

I firmly believe that does will get up from their beds earlier in the afternoon and stage in abnormal spots.....to basically "hide" from juvenile bucks that are harrassing them, pre-rut.

I saw this happen 5 hunts in a row, this year.

It worked 4X. The bucks passed right by without seeing them....and were on the wrong side of this new staging area to wind them. Their body language was - motionless.
Lateral Bowhunter
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Spysar wrote:Have you guys heard that growling sound very often? It's pretty intense when they do that, I've only heard it a few times. Usually involves a doe and a frustrated buck.

Yep only heard it a few times too. Both times the buck wanted a doe that wasn't ready and was frustrated. Both big mature bucks.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 pm

the buck growl, so we have a few guys that have heard it a few times. I will be honest I have never heard it. I never heard anyone even talk about it til they tried to sell a call. Thats just crazy to me. I guess the Drurys nailed it right on the head that first year, its allways over a doe that wont put out too.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”