The reasoning behind a "net" score?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: The reasoning behind a "net" score?

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:54 pm

I prefer gross score when talking about my personal deer, for several reasons. My dad killed a monster buck a few years ago who just had mass EVERYWHERE, and after net he only scored 134 even though you can set him next to a spindly 3 year old with symetry and he will be outscored even though he has 3x the WOW factor of the buck next to it. But, it is their club their rules. Personally I like buckmasters way of scoring, everything counts except for spread because that is only air!

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:26 pm

[quote="adrenalin"]It's always been net and always will be. I get a kick out of guys that always use their bucks gross score just to make it sound bigger and compare it to bucks in the books with net scores. It's no different than 2 guys talking about a 200 pound buck and one is gutted and one is not, when it should be a 170 pounder and a 200 pounder. Your gross income or your net income, you can only take your net to the bank...[/ote]

Hmmm, have to say this is the first time I have every seen anyone bash a gross score on a buck, its cool you are very much entitled to your opinion. To me bone is bone and the more of it the better, score to me is just know the overall size, I don't care about the actual number, the deer will speak for itself dispite its gross or net. Like I have alwasy said, its not the deers fault one tine is shorter than the other, i just dont' see a reason to think think less of him based on deductions.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 am

headgear wrote:
adrenalin wrote:It's always been net and always will be. I get a kick out of guys that always use their bucks gross score just to make it sound bigger and compare it to bucks in the books with net scores. It's no different than 2 guys talking about a 200 pound buck and one is gutted and one is not, when it should be a 170 pounder and a 200 pounder. Your gross income or your net income, you can only take your net to the bank...[/ote]

Hmmm, have to say this is the first time I have every seen anyone bash a gross score on a buck, its cool you are very much entitled to your opinion. To me bone is bone and the more of it the better, score to me is just know the overall size, I don't care about the actual number, the deer will speak for itself dispite its gross or net. Like I have alwasy said, its not the deers fault one tine is shorter than the other, i just dont' see a reason to think think less of him based on deductions.

I didn't "bash " gross, but if you tell people you shot a 185 typical with your bow some people will think you just shot a top 5 buck in the state. If it nets 175 your not even close. Or if you say I shoot a booner and it nets 160, big difference to me. I don't even care what they score myself, but you have to have some kind of sytem if you are going to compare your to his. To me big bucks aren't about score at all, but score give you an idea of how big it is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”