THREE GOLDEN RULES?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

THREE GOLDEN RULES?

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 am

So if you had someone new to hunting ask you what 3 rules are the most important to kill a big mature buck, what would they be.

1 Hunt where big bucks are

2 Find big buck sign

3 Only hunt when conditions are right

Kind of hard to follow rule 3 without following some other rules. Just some possible examples, Inputs??

Bucky

Re: THREE GOLDEN RULES?

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:22 am

I agree, but instead of buck sign I'm looking for buck bedding and hottest food source(s)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:32 am

Bucky wrote:I agree, but instead of buck sign I'm looking for buck bedding and hottest food source(s)

A newbie wouldn't know what to look for in order to find a buck's bed. Heck, I don't and I've been hunting for 20+ yrs. LOL! I mean I can look at an area, see escape routes, see where a deer could wind something and look in another direction at the same time.......but is this a buck bedding area? Heck if I know. It just looks good to me. :lol:

As to the question and based on personal experience, I would flat out tell the new guy "Don't set your sights too high and head out your first year wanting/expecting to shoot that wall hanger....that big old mature buck". Do this and you just might set yourself up for years and years of frustration and heartache. If your first buck is a big one, then awesome. But don't wait around for one. Kill something that will make you happy(which could be a spike/fork) and work up from there.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 am

Stump wrote:
Bucky wrote:I agree, but instead of buck sign I'm looking for buck bedding and hottest food source(s)

A newbie wouldn't know what to look for in order to find a buck's bed. Heck, I don't and I've been hunting for 20+ yrs. LOL! I mean I can look at an area, see escape routes, see where a deer could wind something and look in another direction at the same time.......but is this a buck bedding area? Heck if I know. It just looks good to me. :lol:

As to the question and based on personal experience, I would flat out tell the new guy "Don't set your sights too high and head out your first year wanting/expecting to shoot that wall hanger....that big old mature buck". Do this and you just might set yourself up for years and years of frustration and heartache. If your first buck is a big one, then awesome. But don't wait around for one. Kill something that will make you happy(which could be a spike/fork) and work up from there.

Buck bedding is what Dan's method is all about... you get better over time figuring out core mature buck bedding areas. I have found a few now and they seem to have a mature buck 3.5+ using them year after year.

I agree with not holding out for a trophy buck as your first deer... I tried to kill everything that walked by me for years :lol: I think those experiences on younger deer help you know when to move, what to expect a deer to do based on body language, how to be patient for the right shot angle etc.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 am

Get as close to the bedded buck as the terrain allows.
Know how he uses the wind and manipulate it to your setup so he thinks he has the advantage.
Have an entrance route that doesn't tip him off to your presence.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 am

Bucky wrote:
Stump wrote:

Buck bedding is what Dan's method is all about... you get better over time figuring out core mature buck bedding areas. I have found a few now and they seem to have a mature buck 3.5+ using them year after year.

I agree with not holding out for a trophy buck as your first deer... I tried to kill everything that walked by me for years :lol: I think those experiences on younger deer help you know when to move, what to expect a deer to do based on body language, how to be patient for the right shot angle etc.

Well stated. I need to have someone show me in person what one is, what to look for, etc... and then I really think pieces of the puzzle will really fall into place. This can be said for doe bedding areas that I need to become far more familiar with. Sure, I see the beds. But why here? How do they specifically bed? Why? More puzzle pieces that need to mesh together.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:07 am

So if you had someone new to hunting ask you what 3 rules are the most important to kill a big mature buck, what would they be.

1. Don't over-hunt your areas.
2. Don't kill does where you want to kill a buck.
3. Don't hunt the right spot at the wrong time.

For someone new to hunting, this would be (IMO) their best recipe to kill an older buck.
Lateral Bowhunter
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 am

1. Don't over-hunt your areas.
I'm with Jeff here, the number one rule. Abiding by this rule can sometimes be enough to get what your after.
Last edited by Schultzy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 am

I cant really think of three that have not yet been written but one thing that I think is huge is being open minded. With hunting whitetails, you cannot get stuck in your ways. You have to pick up on what your learning and your mistakes and why things are happening the way they are happening.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 am

PredatorTC wrote:I cant really think of three that have not yet been written but one thing that I think is huge is being open minded. With hunting whitetails, you cannot get stuck in your ways. You have to pick up on what your learning and your mistakes and why things are happening the way they are happening.

Agree! That's very true Joe!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 am

1. Hunt where a big buck lives
2. Figure out where he beds
3. Know when the right time to hunt him is
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 am

I believe one of the biggest mistakes newer hunters make; hunting non productive (filler) spots.
1.Just hunting to be hunting. Sometimes hunters get into a rut of thinking they have to be out there and don't hunt productive spots.
2. I also agree with JV NC Guys are out whacking does and wondering why they are not seeing big bucks.
3. In the big picture, where a buck beds is key to killing them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 am

#1 you can't beat his nose... Play the wind.
#2 Deer are night animals, hunt where they move in daylight. (near bedding / thick areas )
#3 Be mobile... Don't keep hunting the same spot.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:22 am

1: Scout and know what youre looking for, just looking at a spot and thinking, maybe a deer will be here is called hoping, not hunting(i have buddies who are terrible about doing this kind of thing)
2: Most stuff you read in magazines or on tv will not work in every day hunting
3: Understand the meaning of hunt the wind, this doesnt just mean have the wind in your face where you sit
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 am

1. Be proficient with your weapon

2. Hunt the wind

3. Know what your hunt is (meaning early season,pre rut,rut late season) and hunt accordingly

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”