So The Buck Screwed Up And You Killed Him

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

So The Buck Screwed Up And You Killed Him

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 am

This question will be impossible to answer, but what are your thoughts anyway?

So you just killed the buck. He screwed up once, and it cost him his life.

The question is: How many times does the average buck NOT screw up? How many encounters in a season do you think a buck has with a human that was trying to kill him, and he gets away? Will we ever even know how many bucks we didn't see because one of their senses alerted them to our presense and they never came into sight.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Re: So The Buck Screwed Up And You Killed Him

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 am

I have no idea how to answer that question.Only the buck himself could give that information!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am

Spysar wrote:Will we ever even know how many bucks we didn't see because one of their senses alerted them to our presence and they never came into sight.

No.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 am

Spysar wrote:This question will be impossible to answer, but what are your thoughts anyway?

So you just killed the buck. He screwed up once, and it cost him his life.

The question is: How many times does the average buck NOT screw up? How many encounters in a season do you think a buck has with a human that was trying to kill him, and he gets away? Will we ever even know how many bucks we didn't see because one of their senses alerted them to our presense and they never came into sight.

It is an impossible question to answer. :P

I don't necessarily think the buck screwed up just because he got killed. Maybe he did everything right but the hunter did everything better. Out side the rut Bucks are in a survival state of mind and if he's doing everything he knows to stay alive he didn't screw up. As hunters we have the ability to think about in the future what can I do to get better before we actually do it which allows us to perfect our game. When were hunting mature deer they have been exposed to alot in their life to give them their survival instincts and make them harder to kill. If they haven't been exposed to a tactic we are going to use to kill that deer they don't know how to avoid it.

I don't think we will ever know how many deer get away. If I had to guess I would say it favors heavily on the deer side.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 am

Or, did he screw up lots of times, and you just weren't there to capitalize?
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am

I posted this earlier but I was in a stand along a creek. The grass was 4 feet tall on both sides of the creek. A nice buck walked along the creek on the other side. He cut my wind and merely walked 15 yards into the deep grass and bedded down. He knew I was there he just didn't know I could see him. This wasn't the first time he had done this. Just the first time I caught him. If you are knocking off older bucks they have done some eluding in their life time before you killed them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

I guess part of my point is that we as hunters can screw up hundreds of times, and nothing happens.

The buck screws up once and he's dead.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 am

Deep thoughts with Spysar! :mrgreen: Just funning with ya bud! :D

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 am

Give me a couple examples of a buck screwing up.
Lateral Bowhunter
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:57 am

JV NC wrote:Give me a couple examples of a buck screwing up.

Any harvest photo.....that buck screwed up.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 am

Dor wrote:Deep thoughts with Spysar! :mrgreen: Just funning with ya bud! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 am

The off season has definitely started! I am ready for April too! :D

Did get my NH moose application notification yesterday.....something to dream about.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 am

So....all the harvest photos in this and every forum.....you think those bucks "screwed up", just the once?

Interesting perspective.

I look at it like a big 'ol chess match that the buck doesn't know he's in. As his opponent, you're taking ALL the information you've gathered, and you're guessing his next move....because you're gonna need to be in the right place if you guess correctly.

I don't look at it like he screwed up, the once. I look at it like the hunter guessed right....the once. The buck carries on his daily life, day after day. He doesn't know the game's even being played.
Lateral Bowhunter
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 am

I cant really answer it from a hunting perspective but from a fishing perspective let me tell you something I know of here at home.

I grew up on a really pressured catch and release trout stream. A study was once completed that even with the amount of anglers this creek see's in a given week... very popular destination... that the average trout in the stream was only hooked on average 3 times in its entire life.

Fish dont think too much.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 am

JV NC wrote:So....all the harvest photos in this and every forum.....you think those bucks "screwed up", just the once?

Interesting perspective.

I look at it like a big 'ol chess match that the buck doesn't know he's in. As his opponent, you're taking ALL the information you've gathered, and you're guessing his next move....because you're gonna need to be in the right place if you guess correctly.

I don't look at it like he screwed up, the once. I look at it like the hunter guessed right....the once. The buck carries on his daily life, day after day. He doesn't know the game's even being played.

This is how I see it.

I think mature bucks make mistakes often....Its my job to be at the right place, at the right time, to take advantage of it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”