Hypothetical Question???Would you be in favor??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Hypothetical Question???Would you be in favor??

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Hypothetical Question???If your state came up with a plan to raise the cost of your license but in return each year would use 100% of the increase to purchase or lease land for public hunting use would you be in favor?If in WI A $10.00 increase in bow and gun licenses would raise $9,000,000 .If in favor how big of an increase would you accept?If in favor why? If not in favor why?

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Hypothetical Question???Would you be in favor??

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Hypothetically yes, but I have a lifetime license. The problem is tracking the input and output of the funds.....How do we hold them accountable? Kansas leases private land for public use and has the most balanced and healthy deer herds in the country. They would be a great model to see how they do it.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Indianahunter wrote:Hypothetically yes, but I have a lifetime license. The problem is tracking the input and output of the funds.....How do we hold them accountable? Kansas leases private land for public use and has the most balanced and healthy deer herds in the country. They would be a great model to see how they do it.

I do not see Kansas that way..
The state leased WIHA areas are generally small, get burned out very fast, and do not allow post season access to scout/shed hunt or pre season access to scout.

The state actually owns a pitifully small amount of public hunting ground, most of it is leased from the US Corps of Engineers.

Kansas deer herd is going down fast, IMO.
KDWP has no idea of what is killed each season.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Zap wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:Hypothetically yes, but I have a lifetime license. The problem is tracking the input and output of the funds.....How do we hold them accountable? Kansas leases private land for public use and has the most balanced and healthy deer herds in the country. They would be a great model to see how they do it.

The state leased WIHA areas are generally small, get burned out very fast, and do not allow post season access to scout/shed hunt or pre season access to scout.

The state actually owns a pitifully small amount of public hunting ground, most of it is leased from the US Corps of Engineers.

Well you would surely know better than I do. My info came from literature I had received from the KDWP. I guess you would say good things about your state if your were trying to attract out of state hunters. I know they surely didn't mention anything about not being able to scout and they said the number of hunters per property were controlled and limited.....is this not the case? I had Kansas on my list of public land hunting trips in the future.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:Hypothetical Question???If your state came up with a plan to raise the cost of your license but in return each year would use 100% of the increase to purchase or lease land for public hunting use would you be in favor?If in WI A $10.00 increase in bow and gun licenses would raise $9,000,000 .If in favor how big of an increase would you accept?If in favor why? If not in favor why?

It sounds like a fairly good plan but at this point I would be afraid the state would not do the right thing with the money and spend it on other things.

We are pretty lucky in WI to have about six million acres of public land so I really don't see this ever happening here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I'd be in favor of them increasing my license fees....if they'd just hire enough wildlife officers to enforce all the game laws on the books.

But, the OP's scenario???? Big NO.
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Yes the licenses are a mere pittance in the over all cost of hunting unless you do a lot of out of state hunts.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Indianahunter wrote:
Zap wrote:

Well you would surely know better than I do. My info came from literature I had received from the KDWP. I guess you would say good things about your state if your were trying to attract out of state hunters. I know they surely didn't mention anything about not being able to scout and they said the number of hunters per property were controlled and limited.....is this not the case? I had Kansas on my list of public land hunting trips in the future.

There are no controls of amounts of hunters....
WIHA is open hunting area, closes on 1/31 and some open on 9/1 or 11/1.
No spring scouting or shed hunting allowed, unless you are on a piece that reopens for spring turkey.
My county has three WIHA's maybe three hundred acres total.

You might have a few deer left after the dove hunters get done....but opening of archery is accompanied by opening of ML.
So wear orange. :mrgreen:

And when the rut comes there is a stand every few hundred yards.

As far as the bow only KDWP areas go, there are none. The local lake has Corps managed bow only areas and I walked a 400 x 400 yard area today....seven stands still up and two dead doe carcasses.
Two dead buck carcasses across the road on the NO HUNTING city park....and six stands still up...
KDWP warden says he has no authority to do anything about that...and they probably got hit by cars.... :mrgreen:

Kansas public hunting is a mess....you better know where to go and when.
Missouri has alot better ground that the state actually owns and they do telecheck so they know what gets killed.

I could kill no deer or six deer...KDWP has no idea of what I kill.
Its a bad situation.
mn5503

Unread postby mn5503 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm not in favor of giving my state an extra cent as long as the deer are managed for the wolves...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Steve
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

I guess I should not complain....we only have coyotes and cougars.
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 pm

NO! :snooty:
Not with the way our DNR is run here in Wisconsin.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 pm

I would be in favor for it but as already stated there are bigger problems that need to get addressed first like bringing back deer numbers, having a healthy more balanced heard and controlling predation including the wolves

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 pm

I would be happy if my state , NY, would use the money that was taken in for hunting licenses, for hunting and fishing related stuff. INSTEAD of going into a general fund.They don't need to charge any extra, just use the money in the proper areas.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:11 am

For Michigan (Northern at least) I would not support a license increase to gain access to land, we have a ton of it here. However I would support a license increase for habitat improvement and state implemented food plot program as long as it were run by a wildlife bio;ogist and not the quacks that are running the show now
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 am

G3s wrote:For Michigan (Northern at least) I would not support a license increase to gain access to land, we have a ton of it here. However I would support a license increase for habitat improvement and state implemented food plot program as long as it were run by a wildlife bio;ogist and not the quacks that are running the show now

Same in Wi!! Oh wait, we have Dr. Deer now!!! Lol!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”