Trail Cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Re: Trail Cameras

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for the info Jeremy.

For you guys that monitor certain trails, scrapes, mock scrapes, do you think a picture viewer is necessary? If you cannot view the pics in the field on the cam, how do you go about collecting the data and determining how to hunt mor efficiently?

"In the deed, the glory"
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 am

jakedeaver wrote:Thanks for the info Jeremy.

For you guys that monitor certain trails, scrapes, mock scrapes, do you think a picture viewer is necessary? If you cannot view the pics in the field on the cam, how do you go about collecting the data and determining how to hunt mor efficiently?

Bring a digital camera with you that accepts the type of memory card your trail camera runs and view them that way. Leave it in the truck for all of those times that you'd like a camera, but forgot it at home. Not to mention you won't get in trouble with the wife(like I might have a time or two ha, ha) for taking her camera out to the woods.

As for cameras themselves, there's no doubt that Reconyx makes a great camera. The thing for me is why buy 1 camera for $600 and cover 1 area when I can buy 3 $200 cameras and cover 3x the area? It's a no brainer. I'll deal with the crappy sunrise/sunset pics and the few pictures they take of nothing. It's not like we are running 35mm cams anymore where every single picture is important. When a 2-4gb card will hold thousands of pictures. Battery life? From Scoutguard to Covert to Bushnell to many others.....there are plenty of cams that with an 8 AA battery setup will last 6-12 months.
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:12 am

Completely understandable about not wanting to hang a $450-$550 camera on a tree anywhere.

However, with a 16 gauge lock box and a python lock I'm fairly confident that no thief (an opportunist) is going to steal my camera.

He'd either need to cut the lock, or cut down the tree. And even after he did that, he wouldn't be able to use my camera because of a safety feature on it (requires a 4 digit code to access). He would call the manufacturer, provide the serial number of the camera, and they would get his information. Reconyx would call me and inform me who stole my camera. At which point I'd call the police and retrieve it. I also put a small white sticker on it that notifies thieves it's a GPS unit and that all pictures are sent to a remote location.

I've owned cuddebacks, stealth cams, and homebrews. I like the idea of spending less money and covering more area. However, you might be re-evaluating that theory in 3-5 years after the chinese cams have crapped out and their customer service is non-existent (try calling cuddeback and getting them to fix anything for you). The homebrews are nice because you can fix them yourself, however they lack in several key areas where Reconyx performs (although the edge clearly goes to a homebrew in picture quality). Bottom line for me is I look at the Reconyx cams as a tool and an investment I can use for 10+ years in the field and I know the customer service is top notch. Spend a little more coin today, to save some in the future. Or learn the hard way like I did...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 am

jakedeaver wrote:Thanks for the info Jeremy.

All I monitor are trails and sometimes staging areas. I don't use them on scrapes. Once my cameras are set, I seldom move them, especially rut time. I generally make a location adjustment late in the rut / early late season. All I'm looking for is to see what's moving and when. My sets are mostly made or plans laid for hunts early season and rut by the time season comes. I don't check them often and not all at the same time. If I hunt stand location #1 and I have cameras in that immediate area, I'll check them when I finish hunting that day. Same with the others. I don't use them to choose where I hunt but to monitor movement patterns & times throughout the season. I usually leave cameras running after the season until spring greenup to see what made it through the season.

Generally, the bucks that leave the area during the early season and rut elsewhere, will return in late December / early January. After a few years of watching this, you'll see a pattern emerge that makes for some good late season hunting.

But I hunt private ground most of the time. And usually the same piece of ground. So the intel I get of a piece of property is good year after year. That and the sign I find winter scouting is what I base my hunting plans on for the followiing year. But even that is subject to change depending on what happens. Don't base everything on trail cameras.

In the past if I were hunting public land, I wouldn't use trail cameras. I've been considering trying them even there in the future.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”