Trail Cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Trail Cameras

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 am

I would like to purchase a trail cam before next season. The problem is that I have never used one before, and I really don't have any idea what is available. I have read many reviews online (chasingame, trailcampro, cabelas, etc.) so I have an idea of the features I would like. Here are the features I am looking for:

-AA batteries with at least 6 month battery life.
-IR flash (to prevent theft) maybe black flash (for spooking game) depending on price.
-I would also like to receive photos on my email depending on price / hassle. But, we do not have AT&T or T-mobile around here so that might not be possible.
-I would like to buy a tree mount (EZ mount) so I can set the camera about 10-12 ft up to reduce likelihood of theft / spooking game. Are there any cameras that do not fit a tree mount?

I plan to use the camera to monitor mineral sites, mock scrapes, scrapes and certain travel routes. I envision keeping the camera in certain areas the entire hunting season to see how, why, and when deer use a certain area (small woodlot or bed). I also envision using a camera at mineral sites and heavy trails to get an inventory of bucks in July / August. Maybe using the camera during the season at certain pinch points or travel corridors to catch daytime movement (like in Dan's first EWT video).

Thanks in advance, Jake

"In the deed, the glory"
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Trail Cameras

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:25 am

You can modify a primos 20/20 mount to fit any cam. If you wanna see how, I can take some pics. Most cams come with a tripod hole and lots of mounts exist for those.

I think a big overlooked feature is time lapse. Video can tell you close but not quite the same, you still need something to trigger it. Time lapse just triggers every so often.

I build my cams but I dont build ones with time lapse, or huge battery banks. My homemade cams are for quality pics. Other times, I dont care if it shows me every hair on an animal. I just wanna know a good idea whats happening and when.

In the last three weeks I have bought 3 stealth cam skout 7 cams. They have most of the features you are looking for and dicks has them for $89. Cellular based cams are super expensive.

Black flash is great, smaller cams are up around $200, they will come down, give it time.

If youre interested in the skout go to dicksportinggoods. buy one at $89, take the reciept home, take the survey, print out $10 coupon, go back and buy one for $79.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I do not have a Dick's near me.

Can you please elaborate on the necessity of time lapse? How to use this function?

How is the battery life on the skout?
"In the deed, the glory"
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 am

jakedeaver wrote:I would like to purchase a trail cam before next season. The problem is that I have never used one before, and I really don't have any idea what is available. I have read many reviews online (chasingame, trailcampro, cabelas, etc.) so I have an idea of the features I would like. Here are the features I am looking for:

-IR flash (to prevent theft) maybe black flash (for spooking game) depending on price.
-I would also like to receive photos on my email depending on price / hassle. But, we do not have AT&T or T-mobile around here so that might not be possible.
-I would like to buy a tree mount (EZ mount) so I can set the camera about 10-12 ft up to reduce likelihood of theft / spooking game. Are there any cameras that do not fit a tree mount?

I plan to use the camera to monitor mineral sites, mock scrapes, scrapes and certain travel routes. I envision keeping the camera in certain areas the entire hunting season to see how, why, and when deer use a certain area (small woodlot or bed). I also envision using a camera at mineral sites and heavy trails to get an inventory of bucks in July / August. Maybe using the camera during the season at certain pinch points or travel corridors to catch daytime movement (like in Dan's first EWT video).

Thanks in advance, Jake

Everything you wanted can be found in a Covert camera. I think they make 1 model that will email your pics to you. I use the lithium AA batteries in them and have lasted 8 months so far taking 900-1000 pics per camera. Give them a look at dlccovert.com
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:48 am

jakedeaver wrote:Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I do not have a Dick's near me.

Can you please elaborate on the necessity of time lapse? How to use this function?

[tab=30] Dicks should have an online sales that offers shipping
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31 pm

I have used cudeebacks and very disappointed with them lately. I bought a Reconyx hc500 and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It doesn't have the ability to wirelessly send pictures though. I got it at thehuntinshack.com and was very pleased with their service. It came with a free lock and lock box plus free shipping and no sales tax...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Southern Man wrote:
jakedeaver wrote:I would like to purchase a trail cam before next season. The problem is that I have never used one before, and I really don't have any idea what is available. I have read many reviews online (chasingame, trailcampro, cabelas, etc.) so I have an idea of the features I would like. Here are the features I am looking for:

Thanks in advance, Jake

Everything you wanted can be found in a Covert camera. I think they make 1 model that will email your pics to you. I use the lithium AA batteries in them and have lasted 8 months so far taking 900-1000 pics per camera. Give them a look at dlccovert.com

Me and Southernman are on the exact same page!!! Do yourself a favor and get a covert. In the middle of november I had problem with one of there cams, I sent it back on a saturday and had a brand new one that thursday!!! Your not gonna get that anywhere else!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 pm

jakedeaver wrote:Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I do not have a Dick's near me.

I havent had the skout long enough to give updates on battery life. It takes 8 aa's and I am running lithiums in it, should go pretty good. They claim 10,000 images per set with lithium.

Time lapse shows direction of travel. Additionally, because it triggers based on a time setting you chose and is wide angle it will pick up animals that dont walk in front of the cam to trigger it. For instance, the PIR sensor(picks up movement) on the cam will only detect a certain width and distance. Say deer are coming through the area but your off slightly. With pic or video mode, you might not get anything or very little, might only see them intermittently while they could still be in that area. Time lapse says, take a picture every 1sec-1min(you set) regardless of movement detection. On a field edge or open woods, youre now covering a much larger area.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:51 pm

fyi, dickssportinggoods.com will ship
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 pm

I purchased a Reconyx this year and will never buy a different camera going forward.

You will pay less for another camera but you can't beat battery life, longevity, and the customer service of Reconyx.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Reconyx cams are awesome but there spendy. I have 3 of them and their great cams. I bought 2 466C Bushnells this year. There a damn good camera with outstanding video quality. The best I've ever saw. They also have a very low light IR like the Reconyx cams have. There much cheaper too. If you go the Bushnell route do not get the 467C, get the 466C.

Best of luck In your decision.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks for all the response guys. I don't doubt that Reconyx are the best cameras, but there is no way that I am hanging a $500 camera at any of my hunting spots. I don't have enough control over the access.

I couldn't find the Stealth camera at dickspsportinggoods.com. I will look again.
"In the deed, the glory"
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:23 pm

rack addict wrote:
Southern Man wrote:

Thanks in advance, Jake

Me and Southernman are on the exact same page!!! Do yourself a favor and get a covert. In the middle of november I had problem with one of there cams, I sent it back on a saturday and had a brand new one that thursday!!! Your not gonna get that anywhere else!

That makes 3 of us!! U will have to look at Coverts calendar that just came out, I have a pic on the back cover, with a couple does & small buck in my food plot & me & hunting partner in treestand on edge of plot.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 pm

The Primos is a pretty good camera also. Cabelas has them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 am

their website isnt showing it anymore

found one on the bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEALTH-CAM-SKO ... _784wt_905

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”