taking inventory on bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rack addict
500 Club

taking inventory on bucks

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 am

If you dont have a food source on your property how do you go about trying to take inventory on bucks that are on your property. Where would be a good spot to setup to get these deer on trail camera? We can only bait from Oct 1 to Jan 1 so thats out of the question.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: taking inventory on bucks

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 am

I never set my cameras up on food sources anyway. Travel corridors, heavy used trails, bottle necks, saddles, close to but not in bedding areas. Thick brush with distinct trails, great place to put them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:41 am

Put out some mineral in spring and summer and put a cam over it. Shine in summer and throughout the season if it's legal.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:00 am

I hunt public so I don't use them. May try 1 out this summer on a couple areas that I'm curious about for next season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I hunt public so I don't use them. May try 1 out this summer on a couple areas that I'm curious about for next season.

You should buy those camera's from me :D
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:43 am

Water source if it is not readily available all over...

Mock scrape in about August will work 2 with scent/attractant - it could be a car freshener, they will come in and check it out. Just get something that will smell for a long time
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

Stanley wrote:I never set my cameras up on food sources anyway. Travel corridors, heavy used trails, bottle necks, saddles, close to but not in bedding areas. Thick brush with distinct trails, great place to put them.

X2 with the exception, I would be leery of getting to close to bedding.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:30 am

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:I never set my cameras up on food sources anyway. Travel corridors, heavy used trails, bottle necks, saddles, close to but not in bedding areas. Thick brush with distinct trails, great place to put them.

same here ....i used to do this and know i wonder why i never seen any bucks before dark or at all hunting bedding areas....i found out real fast not to put them anywhere even close to the bedding areas... my success and sighting rate sky rocketed after i learned the hard way
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 am

Any community scrapes around that property?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 am

rack addict wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I hunt public so I don't use them. May try 1 out this summer on a couple areas that I'm curious about for next season.

You should buy those camera's from me :D

I plan on it, got some things to pay off first!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Trails along marsh edges, beaver dam crossings. Trails near water always good especially if mineral blocks legal. A camera over a couple blocks all summer will give a fair assesment.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 am

dan wrote:

What time of year you guys talking? I have horrible luck setting trail cams In the woods In the summer months. Food sources (field edges) have been much better for me.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:42 am

Zap wrote:Any community scrapes around that property?

Thats what I was thinking Zap....and if there isn't you could make your own. It has to be placed in a key location for deer travel. I made this one in a hub that connects about 1,000 acres in all directions. The location you place it also has to offer a very low impact approach and exit on your part.

virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:27 am

Cool stuff Ninja. While I cannot put out trail cameras due to regulations on the public ground I hunt, I most certainly can make mock scrapes. I am going to look over some maps and mark up some spots that connect pieces of ground like you mentioned above in order to identify potential spots to place mock scrapes next season. If you have a chance maybe you can tell me what you think buddy. KILL!

Brett
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 am

Lots of good information in this post.
I am lucky enough to lease 1800 acres of property and I have had hunted it for almost 10 years now. I have had the ground in a management program for 8 years. I do spot light counts in the summer with a game biologist, make bait sites, make mineral sites, mock scrapes, and plant food plots. I put cameras over all of the above mentioned things to get an accuarate count of all my deer. I also use the cameras on secondary trails that are parallel and downwind of primary trails from the bedding areas to inventory my mature bucks. I rarely catch them on the large trails. Hope this helps some.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”