How would you set up on this buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 am

This is my scenerio, the two stand locations I have set up are roughly 100-125yds from the buck bed, which is on a small island in a marsh that's literally 60-70yds from the road. The buck feeds across the street on private about 100-150 yds south of his bed. The couple of night's I've set up on him, I can literally see him in his bed (nice tall 8). He won't get out until after dark and gets back in bed before sunrise. There's no trees I can set up to the left of him either, besides "Stand D", which is the route he tends to take after milling around the marsh.

My question is, should I risk pushing the doe bed at the bottom right corner to set up on this buck? If I'm lucky the does will just walk off and the buck will stay, but this is a valley and the wind swirels all the time regardless of wind.

Edcyclopedia

Re: How would you set up on this buck?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 am

Find his escape route/trail and take a trusted friend in to lightly bump him across your path.

Considering you can see the buck and what he may do, you could try it again with small adjustments a week later...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Find his escape route/trail and take a trusted friend in to lightly bump him across your path.

Considering you can see the buck and what he may do, you could try it again with small adjustments a week later...

I might just have to give that a shot.

But what if I'm hunting solo, what can I do in this situation?

Bump him myself? :lol:
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19 am

If you get out there before first light you should beable to get in there before the does get back to there bed
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 am

What kind of cover to you have between the buck bed and Stand D? Any chance to setup on the ground and intercept him on the trail to the food?
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:57 am

rack addict wrote:If you get out there before first light you should beable to get in there before the does get back to there bed

Good point, but I think the does would wind me and possibly spook the buck. Thanks for the input.

headgear wrote:What kind of cover to you have between the buck bed and Stand D? Any chance to setup on the ground and intercept him on the trail to the food?

Honestly there's not much cover now with the snow. All the cat-tails are down now, and the marsh is iced over, so the only real cover there now is the red dog brush and a few small trees the size of my hand. I can't imagine trying to set up on one of those trees. :lol:

I've thought about pulling a stalk dressed in all white, but would need a strong north wind to cover my noise and scent. With the weather the way it's been I highly doubt that's going to happen by the end of this month. I can still hope.

Might just have to get the old man to bump him for me, but with a soft bump this late I would think he would just keep on running. Don't you think?

I've also considered setting up in his bed at like 3am but risk burning that bridge with him, if he winds me before getting in range. So many factors with so little time left.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:24 am

Try bumping him, I thought you were planning this for next season.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 am

headgear wrote:Try bumping him, I thought you were planning this for next season.

Metro Units is still game here in WI 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 am

Are you sure the buck is not seeing you? The reason I ask that is most bucks I see get up out of there beds before dark. They don't move far, but they do get up. I have had bucks I believe saw or heard me lock up till after dark though...
I would wait for the right weather condition/moon phase and catch him at his bed in the morning trying not to walk on any of his trails going out there, staying down wind, positioning where I could hit the bed, and getting out there a couple hours before light.
My second option would be to leave him alone till a weather condition, or moon phase might get him moving early in the eve.
My 3rd option would be to wait for fresh (un-cruchy) snow and sneak in wearing white and shoot him stalking.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

rack addict wrote:If you get out there before first light you should beable to get in there before the does get back to there bed

good point but ......this rarely works ....every time i try hunting beds in the morning, out side of the right moon phase.....i cant get in before them....ive gotten in two hours before day light even and i still kick them out :doh:
like dan said i think the only way to hunt them in the mourning is to hunt the right moon phase that has that buck coming back to his bed after day light
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 am

dan wrote:Are you sure the buck is not seeing you? The reason I ask that is most bucks I see get up out of there beds before dark. They don't move far, but they do get up. I have had bucks I believe saw or heard me lock up till after dark though...
I would wait for the right weather condition/moon phase and catch him at his bed in the morning trying not to walk on any of his trails going out there, staying down wind, positioning where I could hit the bed, and getting out there a couple hours before light.
My second option would be to leave him alone till a weather condition, or moon phase might get him moving early in the eve.
My 3rd option would be to wait for fresh (un-cruchy) snow and sneak in wearing white and shoot him stalking.

Good point Dan, about him seeing me. That would explain why he's not getting out of his bed. And the whole time I thought I had the upper hand. lol :doh:

I'm seriously considering option #3 with this fresh snow we're about to get in SE WI, now I just need a good WNW wind.

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. I hope I can seal the deal on this buck, otherwise he'll be even bigger next year. Just hope he stays in the area.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 am

addisonlee wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Find his escape route/trail and take a trusted friend in to lightly bump him across your path.

I might just have to give that a shot.

But what if I'm hunting solo, what can I do in this situation?
Bump him myself? :lol:

My buddy hunted with an outfitter in Colorado that used to take a sling shot with some big ball bearings and wing them in his area. The deer would pop out of the thick stuff and hopefully into your sights...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:33 am

I'm seriously considering option #3 with this fresh snow we're about to get in SE WI, now I just need a good WNW wind.

Right now during the snow might be a good time.

I would also expect earlier movment when the cold weather hits the next couple days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”