How hard is it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Re: How hard is it?

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:36 am

I have a couple guys I cyber hunt with and trust completely, Buckfever, on here. Him and I worked together on figuring the deer out through topos and aerials and on the ground scouting with pics and sightings all through texting and emails. Another guy I'm going to get to meet this year I'm going to walk his property with him and his son here in the next month or two. Around my house I have a couple of buddy's that I tell stuff to and after last year hone of them proved he could be trusted. I had a pic of a buck I was hunting (found out it scored 172") and he saw it on my phone by accident. Well the deer got hit by a car by a guy we knew in town. A friend for many years of his had a pic of the dead deer and my buddy asked him about it to see if it was the one I was hunting. Well when his friend started asking him alot of questions they got into an argument about how my buddy knew about the deer and where it was seen and stuff. My buddy kept telling him it doesn't matter. Any ways they about ended their friendship over my buddy not telling him about the buck. Right them he earned my trust and I share everything with him. We've walked his properties and I have taken him to mine and we trust each other.

Trust and respect are something that is earned and it takes a while to earn those.

A lot of people are out for the easy way and don't want to put in the time. I've had more people burn more energy hunting me than what it would take to actually go out and scout themselves. I don't know if it's laziness because they do the work to figure me out as it is a lack of knowledge on what they are seeing and understanding it.

If they would of introduced themselves and asked if I would take a look at their property with them I more than likely would have.

I'm not a great hunter and never considered myself to be. I consider myself as someone who's not afraid to put the time in to try and figure out the deer I'm hunting and to do the work needed to give me the best opportunity at harvesting that animal.

I've done the buddy thing and have gotten screwed so I went solo for a while and now I have some cyber buddies and a couple around the house that I can trust.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
Zap wrote:Yes I do.

Alot of folks can be a disappointment.
A good sign is when someone calls you and asks if you want to go look around a spot that he found. 8-)

I'm finding in life, not just hunting, people are generally a let down. I have yet to find another person who wants to spring scout, hunt mobile or even take hunting seriously. It's hard to find anyone who will work with you, but if you have a good spot or are onto a good buck there's a million guys willing to pry for information.

Just my Dad and brother! Backwoods, id hunt with you anytime!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
Zap wrote:Yes I do.

Alot of folks can be a disappointment.
A good sign is when someone calls you and asks if you want to go look around a spot that he found. 8-)

I'm finding in life, not just hunting, people are generally a let down. I have yet to find another person who wants to spring scout, hunt mobile or even take hunting seriously. It's hard to find anyone who will work with you, but if you have a good spot or are onto a good buck there's a million guys willing to pry for information.

I have one buddy that I can or would trust with info, fishing or hunting. I have been scooped and stepped on constantly to the tune that I don't talk with any friend about much. I keep my mouth shut on my areas and theirs too if I know them. Odd how that courtesy never gets repaid.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 am

I only share intel with my cousin we can trust each other. When I share it with my stepdad he takes over my spots because he got us on the property. :angry-steamingears:
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:45 am

Swampthing wrote:Right, sure is. My girlfriends father, asks me if I could scout an area for him. And map it all out for him, with entrances sets and everything. I was flattered but hey now I thought. Im not gonna do all the work for you. Now if he had at least attempted to, but failed or was willing to come with than maybe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I understand what you are saying,but sometimes you do for others with out any concern about whether any thing comes back to you. Especially so when it is a family member of someone you care about. There are a lot of non immediate benefits that would come out of you helping him out.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 am

You know I don't think that it is that hard. I know there can be dissapoointments along the way with some folks. I have three guys in NYS that I am close to that I would share any thing with and I know they would do the same. I have three friends in Idaho that I would avail any information to and I know they would do the same. I have a few people who I hvae gotten to know from websites that I know if we lived in close proximity to one another we would be very close friends and would do a lot of hunting and fishing together. You can get a pretty good sense of someone through continuos conversation in quality hunting and fishing forums.
I do believe that everyone should be a little cautious initially and probably have a one strike your out rule if trust is violated or abused.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:14 am

Scot wrote: I have three guys in NYS that I am close to that I would share any thing with and I know they would do the same. I have three friends in Idaho that I would avail any information to and I know they would do the same. I have a few people who I hvae gotten to know from websites that I know if we lived in close proximity to one another we would be very close friends and would do a lot of hunting and fishing together. You can get a pretty good sense of someone through continuos conversation in quality hunting and fishing forums.
I do believe that everyone should be a little cautious initially and probably have a one strike your out rule if trust is violated or abused.

I agree with what your syaing and you having those guys is great. I also think you can get a good feel for people through the conversations you have on the forums. I think the problems arise from people getting burned one too many times and they get a little gun shy by getting burned. So building trust comes in many different ways for different people. Some people as mentioned want people to hike it with them to scout an area the other people want to hunt. Time is a valuable commodity that most people don't have. So if somebody is going tto put forth the effort to help themselves others will help them along.

I have no problem helping others as long as they want to help themselves. I think that's what people are trying to say in this thread.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 am

I have a few people I can trust. If I show someone a spot on public...Its not my spot, its our spot from that point on. I have shared many spots with Deerslayer. I have a couple other friends that will prep trees, mark with tack's and show me right where the tree is, beds are, Ect......And I do the same for them.

I would share any spot I have with JV NC or Virgina Shadow, with 100% confidence it would stay between us.
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 am

I have two friends that I take scouting with me and they take me scouting with them. We all have different ideas and experiences so it really helps in setting up a new spot. We all add something from our experience to the setup. I would trust these guys in these spots all day long. These are usually found during spring turkey hunting together. I have found most of my new sets turkey hunting. Our season opens in the middle of march so its real easy to see all of last years sign. It also helps having buddies around because you can sit in the chosen stand area and have them trim lanes while you are at the hunting height you will be in come hunting season. After putting these spots in I will go back and hang a camera in early June and then only check that camera every 2-3 weeks to keep the intrusions minimal.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Pretty dang hard. Wished we lived closer Zap!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Pretty dang hard. Wished we lived closer Zap!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm

I agree that it is hard...but can be done.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm

impossible.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:22 pm

I know 2...me and my split personality :twisted:
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Like you said - other than family - near impossible. I tell my dad everything - but I got to tell him not to tell people things. He gets excited and likes to tell people about hunting trips - where we went - what he saw, and so forth. Everyone I know has a loud mouth and anyone will creep in on you. Word of mouth travels liek crazy. I send a text to my dad's e-mail address before every hunt telling him exactly where I am, for safety purposes. The only negative is that my phone will be going off the whole time "Anything yet?" , "How about now?" , "Get one?". I don't mind, he's just excited that I'm out.

Buddies of mine never want to shed hunt, don't want to hang stands, don't want to put cameras out, don't want to spend countless hours in the stand, don't want to walk, don't want to glass, or don't want to do anything when I ask them. But, they'll call me without fail and ask, "Do you want to go hunting?"

When I ask where, they'll say wherever you are seeing the best deer or the biggest buck. Of course.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”