Are we too selfish as hunters sometimes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Are we too selfish as hunters sometimes?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:40 pm

iamyourhuckleberry wrote:A few things to think about:

1) The Good Lord makes more "big" deer every year.
2) Most of us wouldn't be where we are today without someone else providing great effort to share with us.
3) On the pyramid, a person who shares with the community, or say a child, is more revered than the person who doesn't.
4) Maybe, just maybe, the reason we're losing access stems from selfishness and not giving back. We all "take", but do we really give back? Take a moment to list the things you do to give back.
5) [glow=red]How many deer do you need to kill to establish your prowess? If it's the same time, same place, and same result every year, then isn't it like the Washington Generals playing the Harlem Glotttrotters?[/glow]6) [glow=red]You do not have to be rich to take your game to another court. Why not put adventure back into your hunting (try something new-challenge yourself) and leave the selfishness to others?[/glow]

I will gladly bend over backwards to help anyone hunt out west...let me know! I'll do everything I can.

Good stuff...
Plan to kill my buck on public this season....early in the season.

I may borrow # 5. :mrgreen:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Stump wrote:I would say that most of us are, but probably with good reason as many of you have already stated. "Because we've/you've been burned in the past with free loaders". The more times that it's happened and the degree of severity, it leaves a bad taste in someone's mouth.

For many years now I've been basically hunting solo, but I'd much prefer to hunt with someone. My opinion is that it's much nicer to have the work spread across 2 guys than one, 2 guys have a better perspective on an area and how to hunt it than one, etc..... I either can't find someone to hunt with because they lack the desire/commitment that I'd like to see in a partner or on the flip side, when I talk to others who have the passion they fit into the category of this thread. They don't really want to hunt with someone else because they've been burned in the past and don't want it to happen again. So they kindly say, Thanks but no thanks. I don't ask for GPS cords, wouldn't ask to hunt private land(of course unless invited 1st)....just someone to hunt with, let's go pick a piece of ground and tackle it. Let's see what we can do. I've been deer hunting for about 20 years and bow hunting for 13 and still I find myself searching weekly for information on how to do this better, do that more efficiently, obtain a different perspective....doing what I can do to be in a better position to increase my odds and putting deer on the ground. Finding a hunting partner who is like minded, someone you can trust because that's what it does come down to, etc... It's difficult.
Agree
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:32 pm

I try to not be selfish, I share my property with a couple of friends and their kids. I know at times it screws it up, but the memories and friend ships are priceless. Indianahunter said he feels just as good when he helps someone else succed. That is how I feel. Turned My buddy on to two of the biggest Toms He ever shot. Felt like I shot them. I think that gets lost sometimes in todays hunting. The memories with others are pricelsess.

Don t get me wrong . My good friend Hunter 74 is who I share my secret intel with. :)

Just want to thank everyone for the great stuff shared on this site!!!! You guys and gals are alright.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:I try to not be selfish, I share my property with a couple of friends and their kids. I know at times it screws it up, but the memories and friend ships are priceless. Indianahunter said he feels just as good when he helps someone else succed. That is how I feel. Turned My buddy on to two of the biggest Toms He ever shot. Felt like I shot them. I think that gets lost sometimes in todays hunting. The memories with others are pricelsess.

Don t get me wrong . My good friend Hunter 74 is who I share my secret intel with. :)

Just want to thank everyone for the great stuff shared on this site!!!! You guys and gals are alright.

Good post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Stump wrote:I would say that most of us are, but probably with good reason as many of you have already stated. "Because we've/you've been burned in the past with free loaders". The more times that it's happened and the degree of severity, it leaves a bad taste in someone's mouth.

Certainly understand the point of view.....but at the end of the day, each person has to do what they think is right. No matter what another person does. If we lose the ability to see the good in people....we have lost more than a few hunting spots.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 am

If you've never sat 10yds away in an adjacent tree......and watched one of your friends kill a deer.....I highly recommend it. It's one of the cool-est experiences you'll ever have in the woods.
Lateral Bowhunter
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:32 am

I don 't think I'm overly selfish. I have put all my friends on good bucks, some bigger than the ones I got. All four of my friends killed bucks on stands I set up this year alone.

I also take kids hunting anytime they want to go.

My friends know when to back off(most of the time) when I'm hunting a certain area or deer I saw.

If you're not worthy, basically meaning a good sport, I'm not hunting with you. If your a sour grapes kinda guy, I'm not hunting with you. If your greedy, I'm not hunting with you. If you don't have a positive attitude, I'm not hunting with you. If your not a team player, I'm not hunting with you. You get the point.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:46 am

Spysar wrote:I don 't think I'm overly selfish. I have put all my friends on good bucks, some bigger than the ones I got. All four of my friends killed bucks on stands I set up this year alone.

I also take kids hunting anytime they want to go.

My friends know when to back off(most of the time) when I'm hunting a certain area or deer I saw.

If you're not worthy, basically meaning a good sport, I'm not hunting with you. If your a sour grapes kinda guy, I'm not hunting with you. If your greedy, I'm not hunting with you. If you don't have a positive attitude, I'm not hunting with you. If your not a team player, I'm not hunting with you. You get the point.

That's a good post there. You're an alright guy Spy. If it weren't for an attitude like that, I might not have gotten into hunting. But 30 years ago, that attitude was common. Over the years I have taken other people hunting, kids, newbies, or just people I've met. As Dan said, trust has to be earned. Now days I hunt alone, other than with my sons occasionally. Good hunting partners are hard to find. One fellow might be good on the day you take him but it's what he does the next day or afterwards that makes the difference. It's a shame there's not more commradare in hunting rather than competition and lack of respect for each other.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 am

I have hunted a particular piece of public land for the past 11 years (about 50,000 acres of hardwoods). While I am most certainly not a big buck killing hunter, I do however know how to get onto deer. I cannot tell you how many guys I have told in person or online about how to hunt the property. There are some guys I have NEVER even met in person that I have sent aerial/topo maps to in order for them to get onto deer. I give them the exact darn coordinates if I feel like they are struggling and have really tried their best. The place is hard to hunt and will crush you if you let it. I had one guy call me last week and tell me he finally killed his first deer after 3 years of trying. We were both extremely pumped. Maybe I am stupid for doing that but sometimes I just don't care. I try to give that little push over the edge to help new and struggling hunters out and it makes me feel good. But, there are some little honey holes that I worked hard to find and understand that will forever be a secret. :)
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 am

This isnt an issue for me in WI, only the people on the lease can hunt, period. Here at home I do like to share spots with people who deserve it. My buddy killed his biggest MI buck a few weeks ago out of my treestand. I had sheds from last year, and tons of pics of it this year. I am glad he killed it, I feel like I killed it myself :D A few posts back someone mentioned isnt the one who doesnt want to do the legwork and scout, work hard for a good spot the selfish one? I agree 100%

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”