Are we too selfish as hunters sometimes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Are we too selfish as hunters sometimes?

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:
dan wrote:I have people tell me they come to hunting beast and read the posts all the time but never joined, or give opinon back, some of them are great hunters. We also have some members who are great fishermen but won't post tactics or pictures. Its there right, and I don't hold it against anyone, but its dissapointing that people don't help others more, especially if others are sharing with them.

I'm going to keep this short.....

One year back a member here requested assistance in catching a musky. I offerend to help and also offered any other member to join along and free stay at my northern WI home. Also mentioned included, marked maps, lake suggetions, campfire discussions, even open boat seats from other fishing buds for the guys without a boat. Not one other person attended the trip.

Anybody here that had a desire to fish should had jumped at that chance. Told me not many here really are all that intereted in fishing. That's fine and probably to be expected, this is mainly a hunting site. A great hunting tatic site to learn from, why I joined and still a current member. I offered to share what I do best but no-one wanted it.

Posting pictures is not something I feel comfortable with. Will do it from time to time, but feel embarrased, and try to keep things modest.......some think of it as bragging.

Some may even think this post is bragging or being cocky.....I tried to word best I could minimizing the "smart but" factor.

I have done a lot of fishing just never really talk about it. I do remember fishing for small mouths in Lake Superior Northern Wisconsin about ten years ago. Huge Small Mouths, lots of 5 pounders. Strictly catch and release. Had a great time I think we took some pictures but no idea where they would be. Never really thought about it much. That would be in your neck of the woods. I have done a lot of bow fishing also. Never really talk about it either. My passion is bowhunting and fishing is a past time for me. I'm sure there are other fishermen on the Beast. I know Spysar fishes. Picture of a 29 lb carp I got bow fishing in 1991.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm

I've gotten quite selfish, especially since I've started hunting a lot of public ground. It annoys me that once I tag out I start getting text messages and phone calls asking for suggestions on where to go hunt public or if they can hunt my stands on the private ground I have access to. I'd say yes if even one person went shed hunting / scouting with me, but since I'm doing all the scouting work I just file my honey holes away for later years or friends who actually reciprocate the generosity.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:24 am

muddy wrote:I've gotten quite selfish, especially since I've started hunting a lot of public ground. It annoys me that once I tag out I start getting text messages and phone calls asking for suggestions on where to go hunt public or if they can hunt my stands on the private ground I have access to. I'd say yes if even one person went shed hunting / scouting with me, but since I'm doing all the scouting work I just file my honey holes away for later years or friends who actually reciprocate the generosity.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Its very difficult to find anyone who wants to really dive into the other aspects of this stuff. Everyone wants a spot to hunt thou....

So I would agree with Muddy.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:49 am

I would say that most of us are, but probably with good reason as many of you have already stated. "Because we've/you've been burned in the past with free loaders". The more times that it's happened and the degree of severity, it leaves a bad taste in someone's mouth.

For many years now I've been basically hunting solo, but I'd much prefer to hunt with someone. My opinion is that it's much nicer to have the work spread across 2 guys than one, 2 guys have a better perspective on an area and how to hunt it than one, etc..... I either can't find someone to hunt with because they lack the desire/commitment that I'd like to see in a partner or on the flip side, when I talk to others who have the passion they fit into the category of this thread. They don't really want to hunt with someone else because they've been burned in the past and don't want it to happen again. So they kindly say, Thanks but no thanks. I don't ask for GPS cords, wouldn't ask to hunt private land(of course unless invited 1st)....just someone to hunt with, let's go pick a piece of ground and tackle it. Let's see what we can do. I've been deer hunting for about 20 years and bow hunting for 13 and still I find myself searching weekly for information on how to do this better, do that more efficiently, obtain a different perspective....doing what I can do to be in a better position to increase my odds and putting deer on the ground. Finding a hunting partner who is like minded, someone you can trust because that's what it does come down to, etc... It's difficult.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:04 am

I know I'm selfish but you gotta be these days. Loose lips sink ships
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
dan wrote:I have people tell me they come to hunting beast and read the posts all the time but never joined, or give opinon back, some of them are great hunters. We also have some members who are great fishermen but won't post tactics or pictures. Its there right, and I don't hold it against anyone, but its dissapointing that people don't help others more, especially if others are sharing with them.

One year back a member here requested assistance in catching a musky. I offerend to help and also offered any other member to join along and free stay at my northern WI home. Also mentioned included, marked maps, lake suggetions, campfire discussions, even open boat seats from other fishing buds for the guys without a boat. Not one other person attended the trip.

Anybody here that had a desire to fish should had jumped at that chance. Told me not many here really are all that intereted in fishing. That's fine and probably to be expected, this is mainly a hunting site. A great hunting tatic site to learn from, why I joined and still a current member. I offered to share what I do best but no-one wanted it.

Posting pictures is not something I feel comfortable with. Will do it from time to time, but feel embarrased, and try to keep things modest.......some think of it as bragging.

Some may even think this post is bragging or being cocky.....I tried to word best I could minimizing the "smart but" factor.

Wasn't calling you out... There are lots of people that don't share pictures or tactics. Some only share on the 500 club forum..
I know I have offered several times to include people on public land hunts and gotten little response. I don't think that means people don't want to hear my tactics, or see my success pictures. I don't care if people share or not. Thats there right. I think I am different than most people in my thoughts that sharing success and tactics betters hunting or fishing for that matter. I don't expect everyone to agree with that.
In hindsight, I am pretty tight lipped to people at work or that I meet, but kind of feel like the people on this site are an extended family.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:41 am

dan wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:

Wasn't calling you out... There are lots of people that don't share pictures or tactics. Some only share on the 500 club forum..
[glow=red]I know I have offered several times to include people on public land hunts and gotten little response.[/glow] I don't think that means people don't want to hear my tactics, or see my success pictures. I don't care if people share or not. Thats there right. I think I am different than most people in my thoughts that sharing success and tactics betters hunting or fishing for that matter. I don't expect everyone to agree with that.
In hindsight, I am pretty tight lipped to people at work or that I meet, but kind of feel like the people on this site are an extended family.

Which I find odd. The type of hunting that a good amount of people do on here, I feel completely out of my element. Though still trying to do it and reading as much as I can, but there's probably little substitute to actually getting out there and learning it from someone who's well versed in it. I for one would jump at the chance to learn new tactics, what to look for, what to do and how to do it.....even if it's only a scouting trip and not actually hunting, I'd be in. :mrgreen:
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:54 am

dan wrote: Wasn't calling you out... There are lots of people that don't share pictures or tactics. Some only share on the 500 club forum..
I know I have offered several times to include people on public land hunts and gotten little response. I don't think that means people don't want to hear my tactics, or see my success pictures. I don't care if people share or not. Thats there right. I think I am different than most people in my thoughts that sharing success and tactics betters hunting or fishing for that matter. I don't expect everyone to agree with that.

Part of the problem with posting pics on an open forum are the people hunting you so if your posting pics of current bucks your hunting on an open forum it makes it easy for people who know the properties you hunt to know what's there and increases the pressure on the properties you hunt more than what's already there. There's enough pressure on these properties and if it's private they trespass and if it's public it adds more. Alot of the pics I post on public forum are deer that are already dead. My time is limited with work and family and to finally get a chance to hunt and to find out that someone trespassed or public land and they pushed/scented up your spot and ruined your hunt based on some pics they did a search of your name on the internet sucks. So why hurt your chances even more than the normal pressure that's there already. I don't mind helping people out on the site but I'm not going to make it easy for someone in my area to move in on my spots either.

So am I selfish in a way but also very giving for people who ask for help.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:12 am

Stanley wrote:When I was hunting in the early stages of my career, you could go anywhere knock on a door and get permission to hunt for free. Now its all about the big bucks, both green backs and brown backs. Land is leased up so others can't hunt with out paying. If you owned land would you allow others to hunt for free? Would you take a guy and show him where to hunt on public land? Is hunting a selfish sport?

Honstly I take a few guys to where I hunt all the time, even show them exactly on the map where the beds are. Some are just so use to hunting the way they are and if they don't have success the first time trying out the new method; they're likely not try it again. Which is understandable with most hobbies. If someone doesn't have a good first experience they are more likely not to try it again, unless given some sort of encentive.

Afterall, it's not like they'll be hunting all my spots at the same time. I have plenty other spots to hunt on public. :lol:

In the end, it's all about sharing memories and having someone else to share them with. That's what hunting is all about.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 am

I really enjoy helping people out, and I love seeing them be successful. I have given away a lot of spots to friends, but like most people have mentioned they have to be willing to put in their own effort. However, I keep my honey holes and my best spots to myself :)

I have been extremely selfish the last few years, but my attitude is definitely changing.
iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:10 am

A few things to think about:

1) The Good Lord makes more "big" deer every year.
2) Most of us wouldn't be where we are today without someone else providing great effort to share with us.
3) On the pyramid, a person who shares with the community, or say a child, is more revered than the person who doesn't.
4) Maybe, just maybe, the reason we're losing access stems from selfishness and not giving back. We all "take", but do we really give back? Take a moment to list the things you do to give back.
5) How many deer do you need to kill to establish your prowess? If it's the same time, same place, and same result every year, then isn't it like the Washington Generals playing the Harlem Glotttrotters?
6) You do not have to be rich to take your game to another court. Why not put adventure back into your hunting (try something new-challenge yourself) and leave the selfishness to others?

I will gladly bend over backwards to help anyone hunt out west...let me know! I'll do everything I can.
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:20 am

JRM6868 wrote:
dan wrote: Wasn't calling you out... There are lots of people that don't share pictures or tactics. Some only share on the 500 club forum..

Part of the problem with posting pics on an open forum are the people hunting you so if your posting pics of current bucks your hunting on an open forum it makes it easy for people who know the properties you hunt to know what's there and increases the pressure on the properties you hunt more than what's already there. There's enough pressure on these properties and if it's private they trespass and if it's public it adds more. Alot of the pics I post on public forum are deer that are already dead. My time is limited with work and family and to finally get a chance to hunt and to find out that someone trespassed or public land and they pushed/scented up your spot and ruined your hunt based on some pics they did a search of your name on the internet sucks. So why hurt your chances even more than the normal pressure that's there already. I don't mind helping people out on the site but I'm not going to make it easy for someone in my area to move in on my spots either.

So am I selfish in a way but also very giving for people who ask for help.

I agree with that... I think Hodag mentioned something in the past about being stalked fishing too. I put up with a lot of that hunting myself... Everybody in my county seems to think where ever my truck is parked is the best spot. I often have people waiting for me when I come out to ask questions about where I hunt or tell me4 where they think I shouldn't... So, I do see that.
To my thinking its unethical to ask someone where exactly he is hunting, or tell him to stay out of an area... I am not dissagreeing with anyone here, just saying its sad.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:23 am

I know I have offered several times to include people on public land hunts and gotten little response.

Which I find odd. The type of hunting that a good amount of people do on here, I feel completely out of my element. Though still trying to do it and reading as much as I can, but there's probably little substitute to actually getting out there and learning it from someone who's well versed in it. I for one would jump at the chance to learn new tactics, what to look for, what to do and how to do it.....even if it's only a scouting trip and not actually hunting, I'd be in.

I should probably clarify that... Most of my offers have been to drive deer. I only offer up my best spots to a select few.
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 am

I guess i have shared my honey holes this year more than any other. I put several friends in it but I know them well and they aren't going to get down and go messing around in the areas. I let a couple of the members in my club hunt my honey hole once in a while too but they are also very good hunters that wont mess the area up. I have no problem sharing my knowledge and spots with people that I know have self control and practice good scent control. I wont to see the guys in my club be successful so that they stay in. My spots are successful year in and year out and I dont have to take the biggest deer every year to be happy. This year I have only taken 2 does. I have not taken a buck because the one I am hunting has given me the slip, probably because I have let others hunt my honey hole...lol. This is the first year I have not taken my target buck in about 7-8 years. I still consider it a great season. My target buck will be 5.5 years old next year so I might not share as much next year..lol.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I used to post a lot more. I have been very busy these days but still do read a lot. I just figure, that most people dont want to listen to a 20 year old kid who thinks he knows what he is talking about spout off his mouth. Just my opinion, I dont mean to sound sour. I love to read posts from older experienced hunters such as Dan and Dewey and many more!

On another note, there are quite a few guys on this site around my age that have some interesting posts such as Bighunts scouting missions.

wow after thinking this through, i think I better step up my posting :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”