Are we too selfish as hunters sometimes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Josh

Re: Are we too selfish as hunters sometimes?

Unread postby Josh » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Bowhunting is not a team sport! Not for me anyway, I am very selfish! :mrgreen:

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't think selfish is a good word to describe the situation. People put a ton of work and money into private or finding public spots. Why would a person just give it away? Looking at it from the other side of the fence, why don't the other guy do the same and find his own spots? Is he not the one who is being selfish?
On the other hand if you have a hunting partner that shares with you and he's out there pounding the woods then it's a whole different story. Hodag is a very sharing person and I was tagged out so I took him to my spots and drove the beds out hoping he would get a shot. I guess what I'm saying is it should be a two way street.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Some interesting replies to this thread. It was mentioned that not to many years ago you could knock on a few doors and gain permission to hunt, guess times have changed. Most of the farms around the area I grew up, it was never a issue to gain permission to hunt. You might have to help out around the farm, do chores, mow grass, pitch hay, whatever to help out. But hunting was something to be shared and enjoyed with others, when the work was done.

Where we hunt in NWO and BWCA, I've taken probably 8-10 guys up there over the years. All but 1 were seasoned hunters, never a problem sharing spots or tactics. Most were stand hunters and use to Ag land hunting, but they had seen some of the bucks that we've killed over the years in the bigwoods and wanted to give it a go. I'd say 1/2 of them never even saw a deer on the hunt, and only 1 killed a respectable buck after he was put in a stand and told to stay there all day. Never had 1 of these guys ask to go on a hunt again, guess they thought it was suppose to be easy.

Where we live now, we have several feeders behind the house and there is deer there quite often. Never killed anything off this property over the years, guess I never seen the value in it, and just like to watch the critters. Three years ago we had a 130 class buck coming into the feeders quite alot. Tracked him a couple of times and figured out where he was bedding and several travel routes he was using. About mid October, Brian a neighbor that lives about a mile down the road, stopped one evening and asked if he could hunt behind the house. Brian is a nice guy, mid-late 20's with a young family and a avid bowhunter. Just smiled at him and said " you saw that buck didn't you", he replied " Yes, didn't get a real good look at him, how big is he?". We went in the house and pulled up some maps and shared some intel on this buck, then I called the neighbor and told him Brian was going to be hunting out back, and not to worry. Brian shot that buck on 11/4, 1 clean shot and a quick kill, about 100 yards behind the barn, ended up being a 11pt, 136" and change, still think it's his biggest buck. I know that I was sure happy after he saved up enough $ to have it mounted, and he got the head out of the freezer in the garage after over a year. ;)

So I guess that I really don't understand the selfishness that some have as hunters, heck it's only a deer.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:49 pm

I guess I don't feel selfish about it but I do reserve particular animals and bedding areas for myself the ones I have worked for. At the same time I do my best to put my Dad and Brother and buddy on the best deer I can and occassionally put them on my deer. In the end it's just a deer. Now people I don't know....that's a different story, but if someone like Dan or JRM6868 or Magic or most of you guys on my list came to hunt with me....I would be just as happy and just as proud if you killed one of my target animals as I did. At that point your success was my success...right? Now just the random Joe's at work and around town that are always asking if I am seeing shooters and where I am seeing them.....no way. It is clear they are out to capitalize on my work and are not genuinely intersted in me, my success or my comradere. They are simply users.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:56 pm

For me, killing a beast is about .0004% of why I hunt. It's just not that important, but it seems to happen more often than not. I did not cut my teeth on whitetails...it is not my "gold" standard (we have very few of them in Colorado). If I had, then maybe I would think differently. And, to be completely honest, I haven't met a single soul with my innate ability to be in the right spot at the right time. I often do take hunters to my public land honey holes. When they go by themselves, they see/get nothing. Even if they did, I do not worry about it...it is as much theirs as it is mine, and I have killed plenty of theirs.

I killed this ram back in early 1990s, and have not applied for a tag since. I own land on the Arkansas River. The following photographs represent a small amount of the rams I see on this property every year.

With such a target rich environment, one would think I'd want to hunt sheep whenever possible (a person has to wait 5 years before applying after successfully harvesting a ram in Colorado). But I do not. It is such a coveted trophy. I have mine. I would rather to see other hunters get theirs! Furthermore, I give bowhunters permission to access my property, if they simply ask.

I don't know, maybe it is the avoidance of "selfishness" which causes me to traveling to new arenas every year. I cannot scout and thus, I do not know what is there... I like that!
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Can I bowhunt your property... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, if you have a tag. I only ask that you treat it like it was yours...with the utmost respect.
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:10 pm

iamyourhuckleberry wrote:For me, killing a beast is about .0004% of why I hunt.

I don't know, maybe it is the avoidance of "selfishness" which causes me to traveling to new arenas every year. I cannot scout and thus, I do not know what is there... I like that!

I agree with this....believe that's why I travel to new areas. To not now what will happen next, having no pre-concieved ideas, anticipating the possibilities of "the hunt".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:13 pm

iamyourhuckleberry wrote:Yes, if you have a tag. I only ask that you treat it like it was yours...with the utmost respect.

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I will only hunt with two other people and help them cause they helped me at one tie or another, I am very selfish about my public spots cause they took lots of time and energy to find if I know longer use them I will help a guy out if he asks.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:32 pm

dan wrote:I have people tell me they come to hunting beast and read the posts all the time but never joined, or give opinon back, some of them are great hunters. We also have some members who are great fishermen but won't post tactics or pictures. Its there right, and I don't hold it against anyone, but its dissapointing that people don't help others more, especially if others are sharing with them.

I'm going to keep this short.....

One year back a member here requested assistance in catching a musky. I offerend to help and also offered any other member to join along and free stay at my northern WI home. Also mentioned included, marked maps, lake suggetions, campfire discussions, even open boat seats from other fishing buds for the guys without a boat. Not one other person attended the trip.

Anybody here that had a desire to fish should had jumped at that chance. Told me not many here really are all that intereted in fishing. That's fine and probably to be expected, this is mainly a hunting site. A great hunting tatic site to learn from, why I joined and still a current member. I offered to share what I do best but no-one wanted it.

Posting pictures is not something I feel comfortable with. Will do it from time to time, but feel embarrased, and try to keep things modest.......some think of it as bragging.

Some may even think this post is bragging or being cocky.....I tried to word best I could minimizing the "smart but" factor.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 pm

No I don't think we're selfish. I think we live in a society that is so disrespectful that we have to protect the purity of our hunts. That we are protective of our efforts, it isn't selfish it's standing up to the disrespectful slob hunters, that will without considerataion move in on someone else's hunt. It's doing what's right given the current environment.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:
dan wrote:I have people tell me they come to hunting beast and read the posts all the time but never joined, or give opinon back, some of them are great hunters. We also have some members who are great fishermen but won't post tactics or pictures. Its there right, and I don't hold it against anyone, but its dissapointing that people don't help others more, especially if others are sharing with them.

I'm going to keep this short.....

One year back a member here requested assistance in catching a musky. I offerend to help and also offered any other member to join along and free stay at my northern WI home. Also mentioned included, marked maps, lake suggetions, campfire discussions, even open boat seats from other fishing buds for the guys without a boat. Not one other person attended the trip.

Anybody here that had a desire to fish should had jumped at that chance. Told me not many here really are all that intereted in fishing. That's fine and probably to be expected, this is mainly a hunting site. A great hunting tatic site to learn from, why I joined and still a current member. I offered to share what I do best but no-one wanted it.

Posting pictures is not something I feel comfortable with. Will do it from time to time, but feel embarrased, and try to keep things modest.......some think of it as bragging.

Some may even think this post is bragging or being cocky.....I tried to word best I could minimizing the "smart but" factor.

Hodag,

I don't want to speak for him but I don't think Dan was pointing fingers at you specifically but it sounds like you took it that way. Highly doubt it was about you!

It was just a general observation he made and there are many fisherman here besides yourself.

Not sure why you are embarrased to post pics but that's your choice and nobody will hold it against you. Too bad though because pics are what really makes this site so interesting. They really connect everyone and makes us feel like we are right there and share the hunt. You shared a pic from you and Magic's New Years Eve double doe kill and I thought that was pretty cool!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mn5503

Unread postby mn5503 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Zap wrote:Can I bowhunt your property... :mrgreen:

You're welcome here anytime Marty.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Steve
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I don't think selfish is a good word to describe the situation. People put a ton of work and money into private or finding public spots. Why would a person just give it away? Looking at it from the other side of the fence, why don't the other guy do the same and find his own spots? Is he not the one who is being selfish?
On the other hand if you have a hunting partner that shares with you and he's out there pounding the woods then it's a whole different story. Hodag is a very sharing person and I was tagged out so I took him to my spots and drove the beds out hoping he would get a shot. I guess what I'm saying is it should be a two way street.

Magic is a great guy and what he offered and we did this rifle season was truely special. To take me into some of his better spots and push thru them trying to get me a crack at a good buck is very un-selfish. One spot held what he thought was a "good buck" but not over 4.5, to push this spot and possibly kill it is unheard of with most folks. Magic could have just left that deer alone and let it get one more year on it for him to go after next season.

A few of you here truly understand when I say how difficult and tons of time is invested in finding a 3.5 or older buck in northwoods; Magic didn't blink an eye to burn thru some of his good spots in a day trying to help me get a buck.

Thanks again Todd, you are a great hunter and very generous person. I can only pay you back with fish, does in second season and maybe a little whiskey. :lol:

Ohhhh thought of another way.......you want my wife? ;) :lol: ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”