Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:37 am

Is a 125" typical too small for the records these days?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Re: Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:42 am

Nope.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 am

It's their book, they can set the minimum anywhere they want. Heck, they measure air but refuse to recognize a point that measures 7/8" . :lol: :lol: :lol:
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 am

great question, i still get pumped when i see a 125. it has to net that so still a fine buck. i guess compared to b&c standards its a bit out of line. you make a great point magic.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 am

Id say no but its not the feat it used to be before QDM. Now hunters are growing bucks and passing 2 year olds that would score this. It still takes an awful nice buck to NET 125 typical inches.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 am

I have thought a lot about this in the past. Most hunters can't put 125s on the wall. In the Midwest it's very doable but you get into the southern tier of states 125 is is a monster to them. Put it any higher and those guys that have limited chances now would have no chance. I think it's good right where it's at. If an individual hunter thinks 125 is too small then shooting a larger buck would be the way to go. JMO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 am

For bow hunting I don't think 125" is too small for a minimum. It's still a challenge to kill a buck over that size and some areas hold very few that could meet that standard.

I say if a guy is not challenged by the P&Y score focus on killing a buck that meets B&C minimum of 160".

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Bucky
Facebook: bowhunterjohn63@yahoo.com

Unread postby Uncle Bucky » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:08 am

No, I think for bow that is a good number, I dont' believe in any of the record books, not that I have anything against anyone that puts one in them but I do not believe in "net" scores.

Nets are for fishing. If the buck grew it, he should be credited for it and I believe the record book is for the buck, not the hunter recognition.

Its like you grow a hog for 4H, and when they weigh it they say " it gross weighs 850lbs, but when we split it in half the left half weighed 50lbs more t hen the right, so your net weight is 800lbs"

hows that right ?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 am

it all depends where you are hunting.......... around me, 125" is pretty common, but like Stanley said, down south a 125" is a very good deer.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 am

Personally, I think it should be 135" net... but I never entered 1 anyway
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:30 am

Bucky wrote:Personally, I think it should be 135" net... but I never entered 1 anyway

Just curious why?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:43 am

Far too many net 125"ers shot.... the overall opportunity at "trophy" class animals has changed, so should the record books.

There is far more opportunity today to harvest 125"+ deer than ever before across the country
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:58 am

I think 125 is still fine. A lot of mature bucks in big woods, despite huge bodies and 4-7 years of age will only net 120-140. I have one terrific 8pt, dressed 213, but scored net 121 with broken brow. Keep it where its at. I personally set mystandards at the size and age more than the score. Any big bodied 4 plus age buck will have an arrow his way without even thinking of score.To set one's standards at B&C min of 170 would be crazy in areas where majority of us hunt. Even in good farrm country of the midwest a 170 plus NET is a genetic freak. Bucks get few and far between over that 160 mark except in game farms.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 am

That depends completely on location. But to answer your question - Not around here, for sure. Excluding online forums, I would say I know about 20 guys that hunt pretty hard (couple times a week from sept 15 - jan 31) around here. Over the last 3 years, I would say maybe 2 or 3 deer were taken with a bow by these guys that would net over 125. I would also argue these guys amybe each see 2 or 3 deer that would net over 125 in a given year. All but maybe 3 or 4 of them HAVE NOT killed a deer that nets over 125 with a bow. Those deer aren't that common out here. They get shot before they reach the age required, or guys don't know how to go out and find them.

I measure a deer by what it means to me. The P & Y measurement system is just that - a system to score your deer's antlers. Taking younger deer doesn't mean anything to me. I love watching deer year round and watching them grow up and then trying to go after them. Taking a big, old deer that I know of and that I am specifically hunting means a lot to me - even if he doesn't net 125.

I think 125 net is good though - liek others have said though - some deer can do that by time they are two years old - and others will never reach it. I guess that is a good average maybe.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:43 am

Bucky wrote:Far too many net 125"ers shot.... the overall opportunity at "trophy" class animals has changed, so should the record books.

There is far more opportunity today to harvest 125"+ deer than ever before across the country

To make the Iowa state trophy record listing 135 net is the minimum. Many gross 150s + won't make it. Just food for thought.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”