Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Re: Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm

If it was only about the animal, they'd just list the score and the county/state where it was taken (and NOTHING else).

Then again, no hunter would pay to enter it, that way.

Lateral Bowhunter
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:57 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:To compare it to another sport there was a time when over 40 HR in a year was considered a great year and over 50 was epic.ADD ROIDS and HGH(allegedly) AND THESE GUYS ARE HITTING 70.Changes in hunting such as QDM and equipment like compound bows that shoot 40 yards should up the standard IMO.

I agree with your thought process but....
what about the trad hunter who hunts highly pressured public land in an area that doesn't produce high scores?
Being tongue in cheek:
They would have to have a scoring system for the difficulty of the hunt and area hunted (lets say on a scale of 1-10) then have a minimum for each level of dificulty. :roll:
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:19 pm

I don't think it is too small, but I do think most peoples expectations are too great. I still scratch my head with the guys who knock deer like that as though it weren't s respectable animal. Yes there are certainly larger animals now then had been in any other point in history but people are managing deer now where they can and for some reason the turn their noses at these animals. I personally have different goals, but I would never turn my nose to any one who shot an animal of that caliber. In Michigan and PA, Virginia and a lot of other places that is a once in a life time true giant. I would hate to take the opportunity away from those folks simply because I am blessed to live in an area with larger deer than that. Just my .02 cents.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 pm

I agree with your thought process but....
what about the trad hunter who hunts highly pressured public land in an area that doesn't produce high scores?
Being tongue in cheek:
They would have to have a scoring system for the difficulty of the hunt and area hunted (lets say on a scale of 1-10) then have a minimum for each level of dificulty. :roll:[/quote]
[tab=30]I think that scoring system is already being used in the minds of alot of hunters only theres no offical score only whine .Gun vs bow,trad vs compound,bow vs crossbow,public vs private,shot over bait,shot on a drive,shot on a lease yada yada yada.Only theres no club or book to show how this is slowly dividing the sport of hunting.Pretty sad...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Nope.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Indianahunter wrote:I don't think it is too small, but I do think most peoples expectations are too great. I still scratch my head with the guys who knock deer like that as though it weren't s respectable animal. Yes there are certainly larger animals now then had been in any other point in history but people are managing deer now where they can and for some reason the turn their noses at these animals. I personally have different goals, but I would never turn my nose to any one who shot an animal of that caliber. In Michigan and PA, Virginia and a lot of other places that is a once in a life time true giant. I would hate to take the opportunity away from those folks simply because I am blessed to live in an area with larger deer than that. Just my .02 cents.

I like that post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:30 am

I could care less what a club or record book says about the animals I shoot. I hunt for my own personal enjoyment and for the meat, not for anyone else. If I was ever fortunate enough to shoot a 200" buck I wouldn't enter it, "just not my cup of tea".

If I did care and they changed the minimum, I would think that would be unfair to some....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:40 am

You shoot a 125 net buck around here and it is a monster. No question about it. Here is a very telling map.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:35 am

Interesting map. I wonder why ALL the Wisconsin counties that border Upper Michigan have 21-50 entries, yet hop over the state line into the UP and you have practically NO entries?
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 am

Its fine where it is I think. I have seen 2 P@Y deer while hunting in my state after over 30 years of hunting. One would have made it net and the other would have been close. Those deer just dont get killed very often in Florida. 100" makes our book here. I should not be penalized because I live in a target poor state..lol. I have killed a couple of net P@Y deer in Kansas and I have not entered them in the book and will never enter one in the book period no matter what the rules are.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:33 am

I guess maybe my response is because I live and hunt in WI... which according to the map has P&Y bucks up the wazoo! :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am

125" is to low in any of those areas in darker red. Anywhere it's white, 125" is too high.....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Spysar wrote:125" is to low in any of those areas in darker red. Anywhere it's white, 125" is too high.....

[tab=30] agreed.as stated in another thread when the standard was set in 61 deer populations hadnt exploded in many of these red areas.there potential to become 125 by 2 1/2 and most by 3 1/2 had yet to be discovered.
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I like it the way it is and always has been.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”