Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JV NC
500 Club

Re: Pope and Young Minimum Too Small?

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 am

I've seen 2 deer in 7 years that "might" make the 125" minimun....GROSS.

Never laid eyes on a P&Y (net) buck in my woods. This is probably 500+ hunts.

Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:24 am

Its a private club that sets there oiwn rules... Who am I to tell them where to set there minimums?
I worry about what I think I should shoot, and what the law says I can shoot... I don't like some of P&Y's rules, like no electronics including lighted knocks, or certain percentage bows not being allowed for entrys into there books... But its there club, and they want there rules to be more stringent than the law books, its there right.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:48 am

To compare it to another sport there was a time when over 40 HR in a year was considered a great year and over 50 was epic.ADD ROIDS and HGH(allegedly) AND THESE GUYS ARE HITTING 70.Changes in hunting such as QDM and equipment like compound bows that shoot 40 yards should up the standard IMO.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:52 am

Stanley wrote:I have thought a lot about this in the past. Most hunters can't put 125s on the wall. In the Midwest it's very doable but you get into the southern tier of states 125 is is a monster to them. Put it any higher and those guys that have limited chances now would have no chance. I think it's good right where it's at. If an individual hunter thinks 125 is too small then shooting a larger buck would be the way to go. JMO

Good point Stan - odds are against you if your out of the deer meca states.
No one says - "hey lets try NH or RI" over KS or IL.

Here's a regional website...
http://www.bigbuckclub.com/Get_Scored.htm

"We use the Boone & Crockett measuring system, but we record the gross score (before any deductions).
We give the buck full credit for everything he grew!!"[/i] (I like this notion)[i]

"However, to make the record book, your buck must meet the following gross score minimum requirements:

Archery/Muzzleloader: 100 Typical, 115 Non-Typical

Gun/Pickup/Shed: 110 Typical, 125 Non-Typical"

IMO
#1 - It's a little light for the minimum (con)
#2 - Keeps begginers and/or average hunters interested (pro)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:56 am

100" - Gross is what it takes to make "book" in my state bowhunters' assoc., also.
Lateral Bowhunter
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:56 am

Nets are for fishing, as far as I am concerned they should count all the bone a deer grows that's what I do and won't ever enter a deer in the books I am the one I am hunting for not a book. But that's my two cents.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:57 am

I think your forgeting the archery equipment that was used in the 1930s or whenever this group formed
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 am

sorry it was formed in 1961.JUST SAYIN the equipment wasnt like it is nowadays back in 1961.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 am

Zap wrote:Nope.

agreed 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 am

Most of the official scorers and taxidermists I have dealt with all agree that 125 is a magical number. I agree with them!

Judging by all the "125" racks I see every week in the Outdoor News and on Internet forums, I just think more people need to learn how to score better ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 am

Bucky wrote:Far too many net 125"ers shot.... the overall opportunity at "trophy" class animals has changed, so should the record books.

There is far more opportunity today to harvest 125"+ deer than ever before across the country

I agree with this statement as number of them out there and shot... However a guy has to keep in mind the restrictions there are to enter, such as lighted sights and nocks... This eliminates quite a few guys from being able to enter, so I think it would be nice to be able to enter while using these things just at a higher minimum

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't really care about getting in the record book, but you're from NY right? Not many p&y running around much of the state. I saw 1 this season that might have made the book, one spotlighting, and had 1 other on trail cam--in western ny farm country where we are meticulous about not intruding on bedding areas and passing 1.5's. Not many 2 yr olds let alone mature deer. 125 is a great buck around here.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Stanley wrote:I have thought a lot about this in the past. Most hunters can't put 125s on the wall. In the Midwest it's very doable but you get into the southern tier of states 125 is is a monster to them. Put it any higher and those guys that have limited chances now would have no chance. I think it's good right where it's at. If an individual hunter thinks 125 is too small then shooting a larger buck would be the way to go. JMO

x2, very well said Stanley.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I think it's fine where it's at it gives people a chance to get into the books if they want to where they aren't in a target rich environment like far eastern and southern states. That's a monster in some areas and it would exclude them when they kill that deer of a lifetime from entering it in the books if they wanted.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:29 pm

I don't care what their minimum is, I'm not paying them to list a deer I shot (and I've got a few that are eligible). They say it is about honoring the animal, yet the humans have to pay?????

Anyhow, the books are not the reasons I hunt. To each his own.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”