Outside the of rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you kill big bucks outside of the rut? All phases

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 30
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Outside the of rut

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I've killed bucks opening day and the last day. I actually like the week of Thanksgiving and have killed a couple on Thanksgiving day. Deer traveling from bed to feed would be the method.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:04 am

I actually like the week of Thanksgiving and have killed a couple on Thanksgiving day. Deer traveling from bed to feed would be the method.

I take it you feel the week of Thanksgiving is outside the rut?

What dates would encompass the rut (all phases)? I'm just curious.
Lateral Bowhunter
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 am

I've killed bucks from Sept. to Jan.

I hunt the terrain or topography. I think early and late season bucks are easier to kill than rut bucks. The rut receives a ton of pressure and the bucks are very unpredictable, IMO. Early season being the best, because there are only half as many bucks still living in the late season, lol.

I dont like hunting early season....the weather sucks. I wouldnt take the 90-100 degree temps and seed ticks for a 200" booner...I dont wont one that bad.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 am

I put no, i have killed a few outside of the rut over the years, but my time in the woods is really limited now with 3 young kids so I pretty much only hunt during the rut to maximize my time. My tactics don't change that much, just that they are on their feet more during daylight during the rut, so they can be easier to kill.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 am

JV NC wrote:
I actually like the week of Thanksgiving and have killed a couple on Thanksgiving day. Deer traveling from bed to feed would be the method.

I take it you feel the week of Thanksgiving is outside the rut?

What dates would encompass the rut (all phases)? I'm just curious.

Peak of the rut would be November 7th -November 20th. Any does that come into heat before that would be pre rut and any that come into heat after that would be post rut. The bucks as you know are capable of breeding as soon as they are hard horned. So in reality most hunters are hunting the rut just not the peak of the rut. There are still a few straggler does coming into heat now. There are also a few does that come into heat in October.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:20 am

I voted no as I've never killed a good buck outside of the rut. My best hunts and success have been pre rut (mid October till the end of October) hunting with In 100 yards of a particular bucks proposed bedding area.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:30 am

My best bucks have come mid oct-late nov.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:37 am

NY makes it impossible to hunt outside the rut...What other state runs a four week rifle season during the rut??? Anywhere??? NY needs a complete overhaul.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:48 am

Spysar wrote:NY makes it impossible to hunt outside the rut...What other state runs a four week rifle season during the rut??? Anywhere??? NY needs a complete overhaul.
That's tough. Where I hunt they have a 2 week season In the prime of the rut. North farther It's 3 weeks I think.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 am

Nebraska has a nine day rifle season during the peak of the rut, then a muzzleloader season during the whole month of December. Finally, a late rifle season for anterless whitetails in January (does and shed bucks). Archery opens on Sept 15 and runs until the end of December (have to wear orange during the rifle season).

I really don't have any complaints about the seasons. By the time rifle season arrives, most of the mature bucks are locked down with does and are safe.
"In the deed, the glory"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:50 am

Spysar wrote:NY makes it impossible to hunt outside the rut...What other state runs a four week rifle season during the rut??? Anywhere??? NY needs a complete overhaul.

I thought there was five weeks of bow only before gun season?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 am

Tight to the bedding.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Zap wrote:

I thought there was five weeks of bow only before gun season?

There is about I month of bow season opening around Oct 15th, then about 1 month of rifle going to about mid Dec.

So I guess rifle season is during rut/post rut. And archery is mostly pre rut.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”