Hunting smaller parcels of land.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Hunting smaller parcels of land.

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Stanley wrote:
U.P. MAN wrote:A lot easier to burn out a smaller piece for sure. Our 100 acres of woods shrinks in a hurry with 2-3 guys hunting it with a limited time to hunt. Not a lot of room for error.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

What could a hunter do to help slow down burn out?

Definetly hunting only at the "right" time. As hard as it can be. When you put so much time and money into a lease, and you haven't hunted since last year,its pretty hard not to sneak in some early season or not perfect wind hunts. Especially when you live hours away, and only have certain dates to hunt. Can be a downfall of a lease. Here at home hunt 90% public, sometimes think would be better to do that in wi.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:
Stanley wrote:
U.P. MAN wrote:A lot easier to burn out a smaller piece for sure. Our 100 acres of woods shrinks in a hurry with 2-3 guys hunting it with a limited time to hunt. Not a lot of room for error.

What could a hunter do to help slow down burn out?

Definetly hunting only at the "right" time. As hard as it can be. When you put so much time and money into a lease, and you haven't hunted since last year,its pretty hard not to sneak in some early season or not perfect wind hunts. Especially when you live hours away, and only have certain dates to hunt. Can be a downfall of a lease. Here at home hunt 90% public, sometimes think would be better to do that in wi.

Agreed 100% low impact, and timing is everything. I agree with Dan too, a few good days on stand is better then sitting every Saturday for 3 months and not hardly seeing anything. Determine what type of property it is and hunt it accordingly and surgically.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 pm

90 percent of my hunntinng is done in small wood lots in between houses. I would say they are completwlt different ways to go about hunting them.

The smallest wood lots with the best cover seem to hold the best bucks mainly because they are completely overlookked. My buddy has exclusive rights to 25 acres nehind his house. Its steep terrain and at the bottom is a nasty think knee high with water swamp. There is a high spot of ground in the middle of this swamp. I sat thhe edge one night and had over 20t does an small bucks come out of there, and his trail cameras show 4ris different bucks over 13020the using that bedding arrea regularly.

Like I mentioned the terrain is very steep so that keeps hikers and dog walkers out of there. He is the only one with permission to hunt so these deer are complletely safe and feel safe hiding in this wood lot during dayight hours.

I kniw this is a different meaning od hunting a small parcel then the thread was started for but thougght I would share.

Here is a pic of one of the buck he shot in there this year, 141 and 5t.5 years old. And people think NY has no big deer lol.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:20 am

The only private I have is small parcels. I do hunt them different because on a small parcel like 10 acres, it's more like sitting than actually hunting. You wait till conditions are right and slip in and hope something passes through. I would say that most of my small parcel spots are just travel routes and deer rarely bed there so they are more of a late October early November search phase spot. To actually hunt a deer bed I have to travel to public land anywhere between 1.25 hrs and 3.5 hrs.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:38 pm

As far as what I would prefer, I'd take smaller land tracts any day of the week. Much easier hunting IMO If your smart about It. The land I hunt Is 117 acres but If you Include the neighbors land that buts up to It were talking 500 acres easily.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 am

Small parcels of land can be outstanding and much better than large parcels all depends on the terrain and surrounding land.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 am

I posted this in the Land Management forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11602

What do you guys think about this piece? I can pm a large picture of the area if needed.
"In the deed, the glory"
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 am

I tend to look at a small farm differently than a larger chunk. Actually on a larger piece of ground I will break it up into smaller tracts and look at them independently of each other same as a smaller farm. Smaller farms I look at as a whole and try to see the usage patterns for the whole farm rather than an individual bed or feeding area. I'll identify those spots also but look to see how they fit into the big picture before making a set to hunt that particular spot. Then adjust as nessesary.

On larger chunks of ground such as public land, I'll put the emphasis on the particular spots rather than the big picture. Again I'll keep the big picture in mind but hunt the "spots", namely bedding.

So, I reverse the way I hunt depending on the size of the tract I'm hunting. I think one of the reasons for this is the smaller farms I hunt have 20-30 deer per square mile as opposed to less than 10 per square mile on the public I hunt. On the higher density, smaller farms the deer are easier to find and pattern. Bucks tend to play cat & mouse rather than leave the area completely when pressure is sensed.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”