Hunting smaller parcels of land.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Hunting smaller parcels of land.

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Do you hunt smaller parcels differently than bigger parcels. I think this scenario comes up for a lot of hunters.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Hunting smaller parcels of land.

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:49 pm

A lot easier to burn out a smaller piece for sure. Our 100 acres of woods shrinks in a hurry with 2-3 guys hunting it with a limited time to hunt. Not a lot of room for error.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Yes and I love the small woodlots. They are typically easier to gain permission for then the larger parcels that everyone thinks they have to hunt. The hunting is limited but once you detemine what type of property you have you can develop a strategy for the fall and have given yourself one more option. 20 acres or less I usually only get one or two hunts in a season but that keeps me from burning other bridges. How I hunt it depends on what kind of property my scouting tells me it is. Early season?....Does only?....One old mammoth buck that calls it home?....rut only? you just don't know until you get in there. It may be that deer only come there when the acorns are falling....lol doesn't matter, I love the game and any time you can up your options you should do it.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Many times a small parcel will only have 1 or 2 [glow=red]good[/glow] spots due to access, wind directions, ect... Many guys will try to hunt every square inch of a small parcel and/or have different stands for different wind directions but in reality those "other" spots aren't as good as the 1 or 2 "good" spots. Some times hunting those "other" spots can ruin the "good" spots and the entire parcel.

Another common mistake is hunting a small parcel during the wrong time. Some parcels are much better during the rut and some are better early or late seasons for various reasons. Dont risk giving the deer a heads up before the time is right.

Most times it's best to wait until the conditions are right to hunt your best spot(s) on a small parcel, instead of going out with borderline (or worse) conditions and hunting a lesser spot. It pays to have more than 1 parcel of land to hunt, no matter if its public, private, or a combo of the 2.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 am

You can't dismiss a small woodlot, based solely on acreage. After all, that 2 ac. woodlot is adjoining another parcel....right? That 20ac. woodlot is part of a larger tract that's separated by a line the deer can't see.

My largest parcel I hunt is 147ac.'s. But, it abuts another 150ac. tract (that I have permission to hunt.....and don't). I hunt a 20ac. tract that abuts the 147ac's. I hunt a 4 ac. tract that abuts the 147ac's. I hunt tracts of: 6ac. (3 owners); 25ac.; 25ac.; 6ac.; 15ac. that all adjoin one another.....and abut a 180ac. tract that doesn't allow hunting.

Two of my best 4 bucks came out of a woodlot so small you could hit a 4iron across it. But, it's where the deer ARE....and not where someone thinks they should be.
Lateral Bowhunter
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:24 am

Good question Stan the Man!

Around my home range this is all I have available.
Typically it's buried land between housing developments w/shared conservation land (the cruncy's love it, but rarely use it!)
The parcels could be up to 75-100 acres, which may seem alot, but may only be 300-400 yards between back yards (strips of land - persay).
The terrain is usually unbuildable with drop offs into swamp/marsh or streams, but gr8 habitat!

So far the best method I have figured out is sticking to the fringes of the homes where the deer are used to human activity.
I've been resonably successful with killing deer and as of late (last 3-years) been getting closer to closing the deal on mature bucks.
A few botched attempts, better Bucks on camera and soon (I hope) a mature buck(s) will line my loft wall(s).

I attribute some tactics gained from the many monarchs on this website, but my local mentor has done wonders for me discussing strategies, etc.
Maybe - just maybe, I can find some of "his" deer caliber, as I only seem to find starter bucks :)
Heck he even showed me how to cut up my own deer, use all of his equipment and shrink wrap this year -
I do have a Wal-mart gift card to give him for his friendly efforts!!!

183" gross (171" net) - 243 lbs. BRUTE!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:44 am

Stanley wrote:Do you hunt smaller parcels differently than bigger parcels. I think this scenario comes up for a lot of hunters.

I hunt them the same as larger pieces... Low impact. I hunt public a lot and spread out.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:08 am

U.P. MAN wrote:A lot easier to burn out a smaller piece for sure. Our 100 acres of woods shrinks in a hurry with 2-3 guys hunting it with a limited time to hunt. Not a lot of room for error.

What could a hunter do to help slow down burn out?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 am

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:Do you hunt smaller parcels differently than bigger parcels. I think this scenario comes up for a lot of hunters.

I hunt them the same as larger pieces... Low impact. I hunt public a lot and spread out.

For the benefit of the hunter that has just one honey hole 100 acres how should/would he/you go about hunting that?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 am

Stanley wrote:
U.P. MAN wrote:A lot easier to burn out a smaller piece for sure. Our 100 acres of woods shrinks in a hurry with 2-3 guys hunting it with a limited time to hunt. Not a lot of room for error.

Find more spots.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 am

Stanley wrote:
dan wrote:

For the benefit of the hunter that has just one honey hole 100 acres how should/would he/you go about hunting that?

I've never had to face that situation. Wow, that would suck..
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 am

Stanley wrote:

Very good entry/exit strategy.
Being aware of where the deer bed there and how they move around.
Being aware of where your scent stream is going and how that will effect future hunts.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:04 am

For the benefit of the hunter that has just one honey hole 100 acres how should/would he/you go about hunting that?[/quote]

I've never had to face that situation. Wow, that would suck..[/quote]

The majority of hunters hunt small private parcels of land. Some don't even have that and hunt public land. Some guys work 6 & 7 days a week. So we are talking the blue collar hunter, the working man hunter. Guys unlike us that don't revolve their lives around hunting, but hunt when life and family allows. It would be a very crowded hunting environment if every one was as dedicated to hunting as we are.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 am

Stanley wrote:For the benefit of the hunter that has just one honey hole 100 acres how should/would he/you go about hunting that?

I've never had to face that situation. Wow, that would suck..[/quote]

The majority of hunters hunt small private parcels of land. Some don't even have that and hunt public land. Some guys work 6 & 7 days a week. So we are talking the blue collar hunter, the working man hunter. Guys unlike us that don't revolve their lives around hunting, but hunt when life and family allows. It would be a very crowded hunting environment if every one was as dedicated to hunting as we are.[/quote]
Hunt the rut or when weather patterns are favorable for deer movement.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am

Stanley wrote:
dan wrote:

I think most people in that situation put themselves in that situation.. Most people can travel to hunt the closest public. However, it is you scenario so I will play along. I would still hunt it low impact and just would hunt a lot less... 4 or 5 great hunts are better than 50 hunts that have poor results 4 me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”