Consistant Buck Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chinook

Consistant Buck Bedding

Unread postby Chinook » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:38 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes,
Is it possible to build an inventory of buck beds?
If you find a big buck's bed would that spot be good forever unless something major changes the terrain? I mean even if you shoot a mature buck, another buck should move in and use the same bed right? Therefore making that spot a consistant good spot.
I'm new at this, but what I'm getting at is, if you find just 1 or 2 new big buck beds each year for say, 5 years, do you end up with 10 good spots?

BigHunt

Re: Consistant Buck Bedding

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Chinook wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but here goes,
Is it possible to build an inventory of buck beds?
If you find a big buck's bed would that spot be good forever unless something major changes the terrain? I mean even if you shoot a mature buck, another buck should move in and use the same bed right? Therefore making that spot a consistant good spot.
I'm new at this, but what I'm getting at is, if you find just 1 or 2 new big buck beds each year for say, 5 years, do you end up with 10 good spots?

i think your on it ;) .......i have a three ring binder i keep all my topos and aerials in. i have every bedding area marked. i scout every winter and spring to build up new spots plus the ones Ive already have found ......usually they are taken over if you shoot one in a spot , sometimes they go cold all together ....its up to you to find as many beds as possible and do your home work, hunt every bed one after another on the right winds and you should be able to connect on a big slob...the more bedding areas the better 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:53 am

Yes... The beds will produce every year. Some things will influence that though... Like over hunting.
Chinook

Unread postby Chinook » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:13 am

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm on the right track :mrgreen: .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”