Off wind question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Off wind question

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I've been thinking about this for a long time. If I'm hunting a transition between bed and feed, say the edge of a swamp and an oak ridge where I hunt. If a buck travels with the wind at his back and I'm set up upwind of him with a west wind, and he's coming from the west, I'm in the game right? What if the wind is from the east blowing into the bedding area? For one thing I'm not hunting there that night.Would he come out and feed on acorns still or not? He could slip out the backside of the swamp but what if there is no food value there? Acorns trump all where I hunt so maybe he feeds after dark when the wind blows into the bedding area? Thoughts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Off wind question

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I would say you are in the game. Of course your scouting will dictate a valued food source and will determine whether a particular spot is worth while.....I actually like the wrong wind (East) for the bedding area you just have to figure out how to get slightly off side of the current going in to the bed. Unfortunately I couldn't possibly determine the probability of that without being on foot myslef. I assume you know that he beds in this spot on both an East and West wind?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Indianahunter wrote:I would say you are in the game. Of course your scouting will dictate a valued food source and will determine whether a particular spot is worth while.....I actually like the wrong wind (East) for the bedding area you just have to figure out how to get slightly off side of the current going in to the bed. Unfortunately I couldn't possibly determine the probability of that without being on foot myslef. I assume you know that he beds in this spot on both an East and West wind?

I don't know for sure because I only hunt it with a west wind. So you're saying he would feel more comfortable with the wind blowing from the feeding area to his bed?

Obsession Bows
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Well assuming he isn't bedding with the primary wind to his back and taking some thermal advantage, then yes sir. If season is still in for you it is difficult for me to assess or advise because your not going to want to try and sneak in to his bedding area to figure this out. If you have some trail cam pictures of this buck leaving his bedding area on a particular trail you can do a historical weather data search based on the time date stamp of your camera at www.wunderground.com and note the winds.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 pm

If a buck is bedded down wind of a food source there is no reason to believe he wouldn't go to the food source into the wind. Not all bucks travel with the wind at their backs every time. I have seen bucks travel to food source many times with the wind in their face.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Stanley wrote:If a buck is bedded down wind of a food source there is no reason to believe he wouldn't go to the food source into the wind. Not all bucks travel with the wind at their backs every time. I have seen bucks travel to food source many times with the wind in their face.

Exactly....for sure before he enters that field he will have some sort of scent advantage.....I see I am not the only one having trouble sleeping... :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I agree! That's what I'm getting at. The main thing is you have to know exactly where his bed is and what you can get away with wind wide right?

Obsession Bows
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:I agree! That's what I'm getting at. The main thing is you have to know exactly where his bed is and what you can get away with wind wide right?

Yes and How he exits his bed. He may exit the bed with the wind to his back and come some off way to enter the field with the wind in his face.....For me anyway....after finding that bed the #1 thing is to know how he gets in and out of it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 am

If the wind is blowing towards the bed from your hunting location it would be a huge advantage to know where the buck beds, and how he travels to where you hunt so that you can choose a tree and access that won't let the buck know your hunting before you get a shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”