Why won't they listen?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Why won't they listen?

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
JV NC wrote:
It's not just this, Steve (hunter's choice). Some just realize this style of hunting isn't going to produce what they're seeking.....on the grounds they're hunting. You could be the hardest working whitetail hunter in the state of FL....and you're never going to kill a booner. Ever....
IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY...Just doesn't get an truer or simpler than that.
I'm a little confused here. Who said anything about booners? And yes I agree you need to have these bucks bedding on the land your hunting to make It work.

JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 am

The part you quoted, Steve, was in response to what you said, below. It takes more than hard work.

That's all I was saying.

In my opinion Dan's style of hunting Is a tough one to grasp, takes work. Most these days don't care for the work part so they won't even attempt It but once you figure out his way of hunting I believe It will be very rewarding.
Lateral Bowhunter
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 am

What a great conversation, only on the BEAST.

I don't have any P&Y. As a self taught hunter I always went to the thick and low stuff, while I noticed other hunters up in the open hardwoods waiting for deer to come out. When I first saw Dan's methods on Marsh bucks, the switch flipped for me too.

Now a few years into hunting with what I learned from Dan, his vids, and this site, and with still no true trophies as a result I am still not giving up. I have had more fun, and starting to key in on multiple beds, and bucks, in several different areas. I don't think Dan's methods are for instant success.

Kodiakman, good stuff. If anyone thinks that is harsh, I got your back. That is just plain honesty coming out
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:38 am

This has been a great thread!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 am

I liked Kodiakmans response too... And I would like to add a few things. This type of hunting is not for everyone. Its a lot of work. Some people are not physically able to get it done this way. And for a whole lot of others the work aspect would take the fun out of hunting. I enjoy the "work" portion as much, if not more than the "killing".
I also want to add, that it was never my belief, that most people would follow my hunting tactics like a bible or repair manual. It would take a huge amount of dedication to put as much effort as I show in those videos into hunting. I don't even put that much effort into it now as I get older ( and its showing in my results ). Most hunters are older and set in there ways and beliefs. You would have a hard time convincing me that my methods would be better forgotten and that I should start over. Why should I expect others to do that when I say they should drop theirs? The young hunters who are gung-ho and have not yet gotten set in there ways seem to grasp it the best...
As far as my thoughts on everyone else, I think the video's and tactics will help every hunter, but I seriously doubt that most hunters will put 100% of the effort shown in those videos, nor do I think they will follow it as a guideline. What I would expect, is for a hunter to look at the way I hunt, learn a few of my tactics that will help them, and discard what won't work for there style of hunting. And hopefully, a few of them share what they have learned over the years and help others to become better hunters, rather than taking secrets to the grave.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:22 am

Now THAT is a great post, Dan. Hear. Hear.

What's lost sometimes is that people not subscribing 100% might already BE successful hunters.

I can relate to so much of what you just wrote. You see that it's a conscious CHOICE to hunt your way. I, too, derive great satisfaction in working harder for my successes (in hunting). But, I realized a long time ago......that this isn't really that hard. We (hunters, as a whole) make it much harder than it needs to be. In other words...we spend a lot of time GETTING IN OUR OWN WAY.

I've had people in the past go NUTS when I made those last statements. It offends them that I would suggest their hard work wasn't warranted. I'm not saying that, at all. You yourself hint that there are easier methods that may very well produce fantastic results. They're just (or, haven't been) not your choice of ways to get it done.

Nowadays (I'm getting older, too), I look at deer hunting in more simple terms. I love seeking out buck bedding....and trying to hunt them, pre-rut. But, I'm smart enough (or, lazy enough....however you wanna look at it ;) ) to leave my doe groups alone....knowing they're my 'ace in the hole', if I'm an un-successful 'beast'.

I'm a hybrid (a lateral thinking whitetail hunter).

Again...the above post (of yours) was really good. Kudos.
Lateral Bowhunter
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 am

dan wrote:The young hunters who are gung-ho and have not yet gotten set in there ways seem to grasp it the best...

I agree with most of that. I think a lot of older hunters with an open mind grasp it too; however, there is a one factor IMO that gives the younger hunter or the older hunter (including middle aged hunter) that is single or has a wife/girlfriend that doesn't care if you scout and hunt a lot. That factor is time. I feel that I have a good understanding of Dan's methods but it is my lack of time and family commitments that prohibits me from going all out with it. In my world family and work are more important than hunting right now.

To scout and find beds and then have a list of many spots and for different wind directions takes a lot of time. It's not that they are lazy or don't want to do it, but if a guy has a demanding job, a spouse with a full time job, and kids to constantly juggle, usually scouting and hunting takes a back seat to those other commitments. It seems that the younger guys, without a lot of job or family commitments (if any at all) have more time on their hands than the older guys. I know when I was younger, single, no family, and with a less demanding job, etc. I had a lot more time on my hands. I always wondered why older people didn't have time to work out, watch sports, etc. Now that I'm a bit older with more responsibilities I know why those people didn't have extra time. Too bad I didn't know about Dan's methods back then. My advice to the younger guys is use this time wisely to get a lot of hunting spots.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 am

Good point M.M.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:21 am

[quote="dan"]I liked Kodiakmans response too... And I would like to add a few things. This type of hunting is not for everyone. Its a lot of work. Some people are not physically able to get it done this way. And for a whole lot of others the work aspect would take the fun out of hunting. I enjoy the "work" portion as much, if not more than the "killing".
Exactly correct maybe.But to assume those that arent hunting beast style arent putting in hard work and are lazy well just isnt correct.I to enjoy work but mine tends to lean towards land management.Plant trees,foodplots,switchgrass and then maintain it its alot of hard work and hours.Maybe its just a public vs. private hunter thing.Ive seen real success come both ways.And Im not arrogant enough to where I wont listen and learn from others success.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 am

Good points M.M. and Dan. I think the likes of Backwoods and PredatorTC, are great examples of young guys who are completely buying into Dan's methods. these two guys are well on their way to being very good at Beast style. Backwoods is a little limited by his land ownership issues, because he can't freeley practice it on the private stuff. Predator has knocked down some nice Public land bucks already. On the other hand, me being a 40+ year old, do not have the drive, or time to completely go Beast style. I try to use as much as possible, but will probably never master it, like I believe these young guys will. Just look at Dan, he started very young as well. For most, not ALL, the beast style of hunting is a young man's game. I'm fine, with what it is for me. For you, younger guys make the best of it now, so when you do get to my age, you'll be ahead of the game and won't need to commit as heavily to this style of hunting, you'll have the foundation laid. ;)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 am

bump
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:52 am

It takes a lot of effort and dedication to hunt the way a lot of guys on here hunt. Most hunters don't want to do that....and its not for everyone. In any "hobby" you always will have less than 5% that get fanatical about it, the rest won't doesn't matter if you are talking deer hunting or kite flying. I wish I could show a couple of my buddies this stuff but no dice.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Good bump. What I get a lot is Louisiana deer don't have primary beds so that'll never work here. I will say LA is vastly different from the Mid West & it has some challenges, but bottom line a deer is a deer. The guys I've shared this site with have an open mind & determination to kill mature bucks as a result the LA membership here has grown!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 pm

I discovered this website and told my normal hunting buddy about it and he made sense of Beast hunting in about 2 minutes...I remember exactly what he said..." You mean Deer pattern hunters? Son of a b!/@! " " have those deer been watching us as we pull into the parking lot?

He was almost angry he just figured that out.

Other hunters just dont get it when ive mentioned it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:13 pm

basspro05 wrote:I discovered this website and told my normal hunting buddy about it and he made sense of Beast hunting in about 2 minutes...I remember exactly what he said..." You mean Deer pattern hunters? Son of a b!/@! " " have those deer been watching us as we pull into the parking lot?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That's good stuff basspro :lol:
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”