How Often.......Doe/Buck Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: How Often.......Doe/Buck Bedding

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:28 pm

A beds orientation is a pretty good indicator of where that deer is looking.

Beds with different orientation indicate to me deer looking in different directions.

Being aware of where deer bed and what they can see/hear/smell from that spot has to be considered helpful.

Its hard to slip past a doe group on the downwind side if one can see you.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 pm

JV NC wrote:
RE: the photo before this post....I could draw a series of red arrows pointing plan north....and you'd have a hard time convincing me all the deer weren't looking that way.

But again....how would this help?

well i think you missed the point of the thread ...all i wanted to know was, when im hunting late season is it possible to run into a big doe hunting a buck bedding area ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:50 pm

I've pretty much learned that when I ask a question about whitetail behaviors.....the answer is nearly 100% of the time "maybe"......and nearly 100% of the time NEVER... Yes or No.

When I walk within eyesight (theirs - not mine) of a whitetail, I just assume it can see me...unless I see it looking the other way. What I was getting at is...... why you wouldn't just assume this....and not worry about which way they're facing or not facing? That's all.
Lateral Bowhunter
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 pm

JV NC wrote:Guys....I'm not sure it's important to do a lot of research to prove a point, here.

But, if you'd tell me how this (if it were proven) would help you hunt something other than does (or, how it might even help you hunt does), that would be cool.

RE: the photo before this post....I could draw a series of red arrows pointing plan north....and you'd have a hard time convincing me all the deer weren't looking that way.

But again....how would this help?

It helps to be able to decipher buck bedding from doe bedding. I don't think anyone is trying to insinuate that the fact does bed in a circular fashion will help you in every scenario or any scenario. You are just continually trying to contest the fact that they DO bed in a circular fashion.

Now if you want a scenario where knowing doe bedding will help you; let's say you want to slip into and set up on a doe bedding area for a rut hunt to try and catch a buck scent checking that area....if you know where the beddingg is and scout it in the off season, you could stand in the bedding area and look around you 360in degrees. Now you can see how far the does can see and know how close you can get on any wind with out blowing out the group.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:54 pm

JV NC wrote:I've pretty much learned that when I ask a question about whitetail behaviors.....the answer is nearly 100% of the time "maybe"......and nearly 100% of the time NEVER... Yes or No.

When I walk within eyesight (theirs - not mine) of a whitetail, I just assume it can see me...unless I see it looking the other way. What I was getting at is...... why you wouldn't just assume this....and not worry about which way they're facing or not facing? That's all.

Again no one is necessarily worried about what direction any doe is facing, this whole conversation spun in this direction because you were asking questions about doee bedding and this is where the conversation went.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 pm

GRFox wrote:
JV NC wrote:I've pretty much learned that when I ask a question about whitetail behaviors.....the answer is nearly 100% of the time "maybe"......and nearly 100% of the time NEVER... Yes or No.

Again no one is necessarily worried about what direction any doe is facing, this whole conversation spun in this direction because you were asking questions about doee bedding and this is where the conversation went.

witch is true... thats ok i dont mind its helping alot of guys learn about this topic
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Guys don't take me wrong. This was my way of saying - I think it's making much ado about nothing. Which way they're facing is inconsequential, IMO. I think sometimes we (I'm guilty, at times) make this harder than it really is.

I meant no harm.
Lateral Bowhunter
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Not every deer or deer hunting question can be answered. its hunting, go out and find out..

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Well if they all faced the same way....you could walk past them without them seeing you..and plan accordingly.

Its really not making it harder than it is, as any consistent deer behavior is worth knowing about.
At least that is how I see it.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Zap wrote:Well if they all faced the same way....you could walk past them without them seeing you..and plan accordingly.

Its really not making it harder than it is, as any consistent deer behavior is worth knowing about.

Precisely. Like we have said numerous times, nothing is always or guaranteed but knowing every thing you can about what deer normally or consistently do is just giving you more pieces to all of the puzzels that may come your way down the road.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 pm

JV NC wrote:Guys don't take me wrong. This was my way of saying - I think it's making much ado about nothing. Which way they're facing is inconsequential, IMO. I think sometimes we (I'm guilty, at times) make this harder than it really is.

I meant no harm.

Would you think that hunting near, or on the down wind side of a doe bedding area during the rut would be a bad idea?

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:45 pm

GRFox wrote:
Zap wrote:Well if they all faced the same way....you could walk past them without them seeing you..and plan accordingly.

Precisely. Like we have said numerous times, nothing is always or guaranteed but knowing every thing you can about what deer normally or consistently do is just giving you more pieces to all of the puzzels that may come your way down the road.

exactly ....X3
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm

JV NC wrote:Guys don't take me wrong. This was my way of saying - I think it's making much ado about nothing. Which way they're facing is inconsequential, IMO. I think sometimes we (I'm guilty, at times) make this harder than it really is.

I meant no harm.

there's nothing hard about it ...it makes sense to me ........ Deer bed in different directions to watch there backs for danger...its something i dont have to think about the facts are there in zaps pics its obvious to see.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:55 pm

The next snow we get I am going to take stand and sticks out with me and get some doe bedding pics from above.... 8-)

That will really show how they do this.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Zap wrote:The next snow we get I am going to take stand and sticks out with me and get some doe bedding pics from above.... 8-)

That will really show how they do this.

another thing zap, try to identify witch direction there bedding ....you should be able to see there hind leg prints in the snow
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”