Lighted nocks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Lighted nocks?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 am

Its pretty obvious that lighted nocks are very good for filming a hunt.

But for those not filming are they worth the trouble?

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Lighted nocks?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:49 am

They have helped me locate where the shot hit when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to. In low light conditions, or in shadows, they can be a tremendous help I believe. Another less talked about benefit is finding your arrow. In tall grass or snow, when you otherwise wouldn't stand a chance of finding a buried arrow normally, that lighted nock can sometimes shine through. I was watching an outdoors show the other day where the guy shot from a ground blind with snow on the ground. Although the arrow had snaked under the snow completely and slid along the ground a ways, a faint red glow was visible through the snow, letting him find his arrow.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 am

I agree with BH15. I switched to Lighted nocks this year and the information you can gather from the shot is awesome. You can see placement very well.

I lost an arrow at a range about a month ago and went back at night to look for it and because of the lighted nock I found it right away.

Same thing happened after my last deer. The arrow was under snow. Found it easily.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 am

Lets have some lighted nock reviews/recomendations.

I may get me some... 8-)
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 am

I used tracer knocks for awhile but they are heavy and caused my arrow to kick out. I went to knockturnals and they work awesome. There light, arrow flight is perfect, and they go off everytime. Before the tracer knock I used the lumenocks and in my opinion they suck. They would go off half the time, as a matter of fact I have an arrow sitting in the field somewhere because it never went off. I would check into the knockturnals, I have shot them a bunch of times and they have never not went off.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 am

Are there practice nocks for the nockturnals?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:35 am

Zap wrote:Are there practice nocks for the nockturnals?

you do not need practice nocks... yoiu can shott the real ones.

yes they are worth thr touble, x10.
You can't kill em on the couch
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:39 am

rack addict wrote:I Before the tracer knock I used the lumenocks and in my opinion they suck. They would go off half the time, as a matter of fact I have an arrow sitting in the field somewhere because it never went off. I would check into the knockturnals, I have shot them a bunch of times and they have never not went off.

Same here on the lumenocks. Worked about 50% of the time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 am

I tried them years ago. They were too junkie for proper fit. I didn't use them long. The ones now days are more than likely better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 am

I am going to call Crackers and see what he says about them.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:45 am

Zap wrote:I am going to call Crackers and see what he says about them.

LOL :lol:
You can't kill em on the couch
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:50 am

I believe lighted nocks are worth the trouble and cost - shot placement, finding lost arrows, etc. You can easily justify the cost each lighted nock if you locate just one arrow that would be lost otherwise (lighted nock = $7-10 per nock whereas each lost arrow costs you $8-10 for the shaft plus $8-10 for the broadhead plus vanes).

The last couple of years I have shot Nockturnals. They are a great, simple design and seem bulletproof when they work. However, I seem to have terrible luck with manufacturing defects.

The first two I purchased from Eagle Archery worked fine at first, but the hole for resetting the light was misplaced / mishaped so that they failed to turn on and off correctly after the first couple of shots. Then, I purchased two 3-packs from MidwayUSA and half of those would only shine very dimly right out of the package. Kudos to Double Take Archery for replacing the defective nocks, but two of the replacement nocks also failed to shine brightly straight out of the package. Also, one of the replacement nocks appears to have been assembled incorrectly as I have to insert a paper clip or knive tip to press the button below the nock groove in order to get the nock to turn on.

Plus, the switches tend to fail after use. Turning the nock off after a shot is hard on the switch and will cause it to fail. Lastly, the batteries are cheap and have a limited shelf life (maybe the cause of so many dim / unlight nocks).

Outisde of Firenocks at $20-25 each, I have not seen a lighted nock that consistently gets good reviews or consistently performs over time.
"In the deed, the glory"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 am

Brandon wrote:
Zap wrote:I am going to call Crackers and see what he says about them.

LOL :lol:

Crackers is THE MAN.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:10 am

i have never used them, not sure if i ever will . for those of you that care about entering your deer into the books i beleieve they say you cant use those and still enter your deer into the record books(i think i have read this). im not saying i care one way or the other im just saying i think i read this for what its worth :roll: im not really sure why that would matter . the only reason i would use em is too be able to find my arrows during hunting and practice(arrows arent cheap)
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:27 am

tim wrote:i have never used them, not sure if i ever will . for those of you that care about entering your deer into the books i beleieve they say you cant use those and still enter your deer into the record books(i think i have read this). im not saying i care one way or the other im just saying i think i read this for what its worth :roll: im not really sure why that would matter . the only reason i would use em is too be able to find my arrows during hunting and practice(arrows arent cheap)

P&Y exlcudes deer shot with a lighted nock. I believe they exclude animals shot with anything electronic on your bow - lighted nock, light for sight, etc. But, I have not intention of registering my kills and then paying a membership fee.

I use lighted nocks so I can better see where my arrow flies / shot placement (poor, contacted corrected vision) and to help find my arrows after the shot.
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”