Is this "fair chase".

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Is this "fair chase".

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:54 am

It's totally fair chase if baiting is allowed in the state the deer is in.

Will it work? Maybe.

Is it the best way? Can't hurt to find out.

I have no problem with bait if the state allows it.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

I feel its fair. I agree with what Ted Nugent says about baiting. The rich people have their big chunks of private land with food plots, the poor man has his bucket of bait..... both are fair chase. I just think most nice bucks would wait until dark before touching the bait anyways. And in WI you only can use 2 gallons of bait which isn't very much at all, if your using corn the birds and squirrels will love you.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

Czabs wrote:
Zap wrote:
Czabs wrote:That's fair chase in my book

Would I put a baitpile out?....MAYBE during late season if I had my own land

Do I think it is easier to kill a big buck with a bait pile?...No, but It is obviously easier to kill A deer over a bait pile.

To each their own.

?
Are you interpeting/defining the scenario I proposed as a "bait pile".
I just want to be sure that we can understand your opinion.

Thanks.

A fellow could pick alot of white oak acorns while wearing gloves and scatter them during a rain.

That might be percieved as different than a pile of corn by a deer, but I do not know that for sure.
Scattered corn is definately better than a corn pile, IMO.
You had in your post "scattering bait around". That to me is a baitpile. What is the difference besides the fact its not in a pile, it's scattered around... :roll: .
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I think its fair chase if its legal in your state/area. I don't personally agree with it, but that is my opinion and I can certainly see spots where it COULD help. I guess my concern with this scenario would be when you put out the bait and check it and refill it, you run the risk of pushing him off that property entirely. My thought process is if he is using that spot to get away from people, he will want to stay away and MAYBE check it at night, I just don't see him visiting it in the daytime. I agree with another post saying a simple "bump" might work better and let him think he is sneaking away, until its too late. With that said, I have never hunted an area where I felt baiting would help, however I am not saying there are some spots that it wouldn't help in.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:26 am

Czabs wrote:
Zap wrote:
Czabs wrote:That's fair chase in my book

Would I put a baitpile out?....MAYBE during late season if I had my own land

Do I think it is easier to kill a big buck with a bait pile?...No, but It is obviously easier to kill A deer over a bait pile.

To each their own.

?
Are you interpeting/defining the scenario I proposed as a "bait pile".
I just want to be sure that we can understand your opinion.

Thanks.

You had in your post "scattering bait around". That to me is a baitpile. What is the difference besides the fact its not in a pile, it's scattered around... :roll: .

I believe that scattered around would work alot better on an older deer.

Now white oak acorns scattered around would probably work the best.
Picked with gloves, and scattered during a rain.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 am

Zap wrote:Would it work?

Maybe...probable work better if you could hunt between the bed and the bait instead of over it.

Is it the best method?

Hard to say...if you cant have someone push him to you, bump him to a different bed where you can get close or get in there an hour or two be for daylight and wait him out....it just might be.

Is it a "fair chase" scenario?

I'm not sure how I feel about this...If its legal, go for it!!! I love using bait to observe, study and take inventory. I've even killed a few does over bait. I dont want to kill a buck over bait, using dogs, with a deer drive or with a gun (Its a personal choice).

Is it the best method? Is it fair chase?

I think that would be a personal choice left up to each individual, if its legal.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 am

Spysar wrote:It's totally fair chase if baiting is allowed in the state the deer is in.

Will it work? Maybe.

x2!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Schultzy wrote:
Spysar wrote:It's totally fair chase if baiting is allowed in the state the deer is in.

Will it work? Maybe.

x2!!

X3

Baiting can be very effective... I have seen it work great for some people who put a little more thought into it than just throwing out a pile... I personally think you got one shot at a mature buck with it then he would likely figure out its a trap.
Personally, I have no issues with those who choose to bait within the limits of the law. But have no desire to hunt over bait. I take personal joy in outsmarting the buck by patterning him. Not getting him to follow a pattern so I can kill him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”