What do you think of this shot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

What do you think of this shot

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:20 pm

After tagging out here in the late season, I tried my best to get my gf's little brother onto a deer. Finnaly friday night we had two does come in and he got about an 18 yard crack. TO this day I still do not know what happened after the shot. Did the doe duck the string? Did he just shoot high? I think the slow motion video can be a bit deceiving.

IMO, he shot high and hit spine but only shooting 40 pounds, it was not enough to drop her. When we went and got the arrow she had the insert pulled right out of her.

Tell me what you think? Its kinda a neat video anyways. A few minutes after shooting her we watched her walk throught he woods out of range. SHe seemed fine and unhurt actualy.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXCBjY7Dsx8[/bbvideo]

Then we got the landowners permission across the fence to go on his land just to double checxk things out and he came with. WHile walking he found a 160 dead buck that I have sheds from and tons of film and photos of. I saw this buck right after the muzzle loader season last year and then he was gone. THere is a guy in our area that has been shoooting them with the 22 at night and this buck was by the road a lot at night so I have a gut feeling he was maybe shot and ran off to die. A neat find for the land owner anyways but sad to see it go this way

A shed from the year before

Zap

Re: What do you think of this shot

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Too bad about the big buck.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:25 pm

One thing I thought was funny was that the landowner who found the rack said that this was the biggest buck rack he has ever seen found or shot on this land. Its funny how some people have no idea what kind of pigs are in there area because they just dont put the time and effort in. he hunts out of huge tower blinds and rakes trails in the leaves to walk in quiet
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 pm

At least he is comfortable.... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Zap wrote:At least he is comfortable.... :lol:

Thats what I though until his buddy told me he can sit in one spot for more than a half hour
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Its the immortal demon doe! :twisted: :shock: . That just doesnt make sense to me. As far as the buck goes, that is a shame, what a giant.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Bummer on the buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 pm

I'll take a crack at it. I watched that video probably 50 times. Obivously NO penetration so you hit bone and it stopped, but the deer ran off so I say no spine, obivoulsy. Low poundage assited the lack of penetration on a poor shot but that could have saved that deer's life in the end. The deer was angled to you so when it turns the lumincock appears to be boiler room area but it's not. That deer was shot in the rump, right below the hip joint. NO vitals hit, no major arteries, if the bone didn't get split wide open it should live.

Hvae you turned in said poacher for night capping with a .22? A little bit of attention from a warden can go a long ways for violators that have any worry about being caught.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:00 am

Kodiakman wrote:I'll take a crack at it. I watched that video probably 50 times. Obivously NO penetration so you hit bone and it stopped, but the deer ran off so I say no spine, obivoulsy. Low poundage assited the lack of penetration on a poor shot but that could have saved that deer's life in the end. The deer was angled to you so when it turns the lumincock appears to be boiler room area but it's not. That deer was shot in the rump, right below the hip joint. NO vitals hit, no major arteries, if the bone didn't get split wide open it should live.

Hvae you turned in said poacher for night capping with a .22? A little bit of attention from a warden can go a long ways for violators that have any worry about being caught.

The arrow does kinda look like it hit back in the vid, but I swear as I watched over his shoulder it hit above the vitals. I very well could be wrong but thanks for lookingit over.

The DNR knows a lot about this guy. He has been reported many times by many different people. The DNR did have him backed into a corner at one time and almost had him in deep crraapp. Its just a matter of time before he gets it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”