Having your kid experience "hard" hunting or "easy" hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: Having your kid experience "hard" hunting or "easy" hunt

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:16 am

Took both my 7 and 5 yo this yr. Let them play angry birds on my phone as much as we talked....but its tough for them. Took my 7 yo rabbit hunting w his bow two weekends ago...he had fun (and we had rabbits running everywhere) but the second his feet were cold I told him we could stop (and did).

On the other hand- I am dead set against our NY youth season. Archery for this area runs Oct 1 to Nov 15...youth rifle season is the second weekend of October (either sex) and although their are some stipulations it seems a lot of mature bucks fall and deer movements are shot till spring due to pressure. NY is a cheaters state of high hunter density and minimal enforcement. Obviously my concerns are voiced in the last two sentences but I feel there is zero need for this. Recruitment has not been boosted, the experience hasnt been enriched but for a few and would be willing to bet those few are beyond frustrated in the long run. Oh yeah..12 and 13 yos have to bow hunt while 14 and 15 yos are gun hunting. Not so smart.

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
oldrank

Re: Having your kid experience "hard" hunting or "easy" hunt

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:29 am

My father was never a big deer hunter when I grew up. Matter of fact I killed my first deer 6 years before he killed his. I had the fire inside not because he pushed me but because I wanted it. I want my son to hunt for the same reason ..because he wants to. I do however have the ability to make the learning curve a lot shorter with my knowledge and abilities. When we had a doe come through the back yard during bow season he wanted to shoot it and I would not let him. I told him that's not the way it happens and he understood. He has put in some time this year but sometimes video games and friends win out. That is fine. He knows he always has an open invite to go with me whenever he wants and in my mind his hunting takes precedent over mine every time and if he wants to go I make the adjustments for him to go. I am excited to teach him and as I age my beast hunting days are getting shorter and shorter and all that I can hope for is one day he takes everything I taught him to heart and understands the life lessons I am trying to teach him that hunting isn't all about hunting it is about learning patience, dedication, honing a skill, how hard work leads to success and hopefully his skills surpass mine one day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”