DIY archery Mule Deer hunt advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

DIY archery Mule Deer hunt advice

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Just kicking around ideas for DIY hunts for this next fall, Does anyone have experience or advice for a DIY Mule deer hunt? I'm only looking for an archery hunt where I can buy the tag over the counter. Thanks in advance!

When better is possible, good is never good enough
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Re: DIY archery Mule Deer hunt advice

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:Just kicking around ideas for DIY hunts for this next fall, Does anyone have experience or advice for a DIY Mule deer hunt? I'm only looking for an archery hunt where I can buy the tag over the counter. Thanks in advance!
I am interested in this too.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Nebraska is whitetail or muley for like $205 I think I read...my buddies went out there this year for the rifle season and shot a decent muley.

I have heard the whitetails are all over the state, muleys are more isolated. May be hard to plan a trip to hunt both at the same time.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:41 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Nebraska is whitetail or muley for like $205 I think I read...my buddies went out there this year for the rifle season and shot a decent muley.

I have heard the whitetails are all over the state, muleys are more isolated. May be hard to plan a trip to hunt both at the same time.

I would more than likely hunt one or the other.....a guy I work with gave me some good leads in Montana, also heard Utah is nice but I think its a draw only
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Right on that would be sweet too. I don't know how the draw process works.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm

I agree with Nebraska for Muley. It's kinda overlooked but there is some great hunting there. I have hunted out there before but it's been awhile. (1998) Four of us went and we all ended up killing does but no bucks. We saw plenty of nice bucks and missed a bunch too! :oops: A friend of mine went back out a few years later and killed a slob. Stalked up and shot him while he was bedded! Spotting and stalking is fun but really a change from treestand hunting we are used to here in WI. The first time I saw a Muley pogostick hopping away I knew this would be an interesting hunt! :lol: Hope to get out there again one of these years but everything else seems to be taking up my vacation time. :angry-banghead:

I hunted in the NW corner of the state near Crawford on public and private, on mostly grasslands and dried up riverbottoms. From what I hear the population is way up and the age structure is pretty good right now. An article I read said 75% of whitetail and 83% of Muley are were at least 2 years old before the hunting season.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 pm

South Dakota has good mule deer hunting. Either or with whitetail is like 335.00. Good areas of public land. I shot a whitetail but we had mulies by the river in the more rugged, rockier terrain.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:49 am

Mule deer are protected in parts of Nebraska. You either have to draw a mule deer tag in those conservation areas or you have to hunt other areas - north central and northwest part of the state have the best numbers. The southwest part of the state has the largest bucks, but you have to draw a muley tag.
"In the deed, the glory"
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:51 pm

The Western Dakota's are sleeper states!
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 am

Southern colorado there are some otc units. Montatna, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and Northern Colorado got hit by one of the worst winters last year. The winter kills were some of the worst the states have seen. I have personally hunter S Colorado for Mulies on public in the San Juan Mountains and it is the best hunting I have ever experienced. I would recommend gettng there a day or two before season and glass and then hunt for a week or two. Cool thing is the season opens Aug 28th so you are hunting them in velvet. Starting around sept 15th muzzleloader season opens and you'll find a few more guys around, but before that we don't even see another guy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”