What is it about hunting in heavy wind you don't like?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: What is it about hunting in heavy wind you don't like?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 pm

I actually don't mind hunting in strong winds and just switch tactics from treestand hunting to still hunting and stalking bedding areas. Never shot a buck this way but had some very close unbelievable encounters. I believe this is the one time a hunter has an advantage with a bucks sense of smell compromised, vision is affected by everything blowing around and hearing is not near as good. If there ever was a time to kill a buck in his bed this is the time.

I think a hunter has to adapt to all conditions and not use weather conditions as a excuse to not hunt. I have been guilty of that myself a few times but getting better every year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Dewey wrote:I actually don't mind hunting in strong winds and just switch tactics from treestand hunting to still hunting and stalking bedding areas. Never shot a buck this way but had some very close unbelievable encounters. I believe this is the one time a hunter has an advantage with a bucks sense of smell compromised, vision is affected by everything blowing around and hearing is not near as good. If there ever was a time to kill a buck in his bed this is the time.

I think a hunter has to adapt to all conditions and not use weather conditions as a excuse to not hunt. I have been guilty of that myself a few times but getting better every year.

When you do this do you take an approach on the bed in a crosswind? Do you have any stories on stalking in the marsh?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Czabs wrote:
Dewey wrote:I actually don't mind hunting in strong winds and just switch tactics from treestand hunting to still hunting and stalking bedding areas. Never shot a buck this way but had some very close unbelievable encounters. I believe this is the one time a hunter has an advantage with a bucks sense of smell compromised, vision is affected by everything blowing around and hearing is not near as good. If there ever was a time to kill a buck in his bed this is the time.

When you do this do you take an approach on the bed in a crosswind? Do you have any stories on stalking in the marsh?

The only place I do this is in marshes and only areas I know very well and have beds already prescouted. I save the best ones for later in the season when I do not plan on hunting them again with my treestand. I always approach these spots from downwind and use cattails and other brush for cover. This only works if you know the exact position of the bed otherwise you are just random hunting and will spook way more deer than you will ever see.

This is kinda what I consider a last resort tactic because once you do this you will more than likely push the buck away from that bed for quite some time.

Like I said I never killed one this way but the few times I had close encounters keeps me coming back for more and I look forward to very windy days.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:44 pm

it plays with my eyes and hearing .....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:47 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I like a good stiff wind. Strong winds are usually consistant and less prone to swirl. I also like the noise and movement that comes with windy days, it makes drawing on a deer much easier. The downfalls to higher winds are less deer movement and shooting is a bit tougher. I'd take a 15-20 MPH wind any day over a calm day.

Very calm is no good at all....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah when the weatherman calls for light and variable winds, I just cringe!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:58 pm

ill stalk in high winds but im not sitting in a tree.

normally dont see deer during windy days and if i do i cant hear them. my eyes also tear up.

did i also mention wind chill?? lol
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm

BigHunt wrote:it plays with my eyes and hearing .....
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:55 pm

headgear wrote:Hunting from a stand in a swaying tree makes for difficult shooting, it's extremely hard to pick up movement because you are surrounded by it, and of course the hearing factor. I have great faith in my ears and when they are limited I am limited.

I agree. Of all the years that I've been hunting, and logged, I DO NOT see deer in windy conditions. They do not like it. It's difficult for them to hear, as well as myself and their ability to pick up scent from predators are reduced drastically. 0-5mph movement is good, 5-10mph it's okay, 10+ better off just staying at home. Now don't get me wrong here, obviously you can't see deer staying at home. But, when money is tight and it takes 20min or so for driving then this is a factor as well. I would rather pick and choose my times to go that offer the best times to be in the field. KY doesn't have the populations of WI, IA, IN, or IL. We have about 9-13 deer per sq/mi, which is mediocre at best. Take WI for example, there is nearly 20-45 deer per sq/mi, IL and IN are the same way.

In conclusion, I hate the wind.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18 pm

It all depends where you hunt too. In south Dakota the wind blew hard every day and it didn't affect movement. Also less pressured deer are more apt to move in windier conditions than heavy hunted public.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 am

Swaying tree harder to shoot. Deer more skittish. See less deer. Harder to hear. I like a good steady breeze or wind up to about 15mph.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 am

Public Land Beast wrote:It all depends where you hunt too. In south Dakota the wind blew hard every day and it didn't affect movement. Also less pressured deer are more apt to move in windier conditions than heavy hunted public.

Agree 100%
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:I personally like a wind of 10-20mph while hunting... any more than that and I think the deer move less (it was proven in a few studies in a D&DH article I believe). I do think that deer have a much harder time smelling and seeing you in high wind conditions...

I'm with you on that. I have noticed overall deer movement is slower. I have also noticed bigger bucks move around on windy days. I think they feel safer when they are moving and everything else is blowing around. Or I thought maybe they get skittery with everything else blowing around. Not sure.

I agree. I have seen and taken some good deer when the wind was whipping, I believe for the reasons you mentioned. I always said deer get a sensory overload on windy days. They are stimulus-response animals. The stimulus (movement, a noise, a smell) triggers a response. All the stimuli and responses usually causes the deer discomfort, which I think gets the big ones up on their feet.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 pm

i can't hear the deer :x
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:06 am

i will take no wind over strong wind any day, when i start thinking how would i react if this tree im in breaks, im not focused on hunting :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”